PDA

View Full Version : gas

miss_muffet
09-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Today I heard the same crap. The guy was talking about how oil people are preventing us the normal people from having an alternative to gas.

I hear our government is in with the oil companies. I say...... who gives a damn. Why should we depend on our government to give us an alternative. Why not form a co-op of sorts. Start a fund of some type that would award a company for finding the alternative. Figure out some specs for what you the co-op wants in the alternative. Right now if I were to form one....... my requirements would be simple. I really beleive that right now we are trying for the moon. why not simplify. Do we really need to have something that will only produce water as emissions. Does it need to come from the sun only, or from surplus corn. Hell no it doesn't.

How about a fuel that is under two dollars for a gallon. Not necessarily a gallon. But a comparable gallon of energy. hmmmm. What am I saying here. It would power a car the same as a gallon of gas. It could be two gallons or half a gallon as long as it kept the car running the same amount of time as a gallon of gas for less than two dollars.

Emissions. okay. I would like the pollution to be less than gas. We wouldn't have to be stringent on the amount. just less. maybe one percent less. Could you imagine how much of an impact one percent less on every car would make?

somebigguy
09-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Speaking my language, lets do it!!!

Biodiesel and E85 for everyone, renewable clean energy sources that EXIST TODAY, not some time in the distant future like hydrogen when its too damn late to save the environment.

miss_muffet
09-02-2005, 10:17 PM
exactly. but i do have a few problems with biodiesel. the power it takes to make it. i have read in the bloomington paper that it isn't necessarily better for the enviorment because of the fact that the power to make it is usually a fossil fuel and is just as bad. and then the article i had read about the little company that is making it somewhere here in the midwest i beleive. it is more expensive. sooooo. i don't think it as it is today would really fit the bill. i would have to say that the company that makes it should make sure that the electricity they are using isn't something that is going to be fucking us just as bad. i'm not saying that they have to have six hundred windmills in the backyard. but i think like me you and many others are serious about this. i truly beleive a small group of people can make a difference. and one other thing. i don't want to have to spend oodles updating my car so it can run the new fuel. i have no problems changing some stuff over. but i am a fairly intelligent person. i know there is a way. so much stuff in this world is thrown away. it might be that bio-diesel is the way. but i want it to be clearly the way to go. i wan to fill up with a clear conceince and i want anyone who owns a late model car to be able to afford to do the same thing. not just a few cars out there. not the elite rich.

miss_muffet
09-02-2005, 10:23 PM
okay. i meant to post this in general. grrrrrr.

somebigguy
09-03-2005, 10:48 AM
exactly. but i do have a few problems with biodiesel. the power it takes to make it. i have read in the bloomington paper that it isn't necessarily better for the enviorment because of the fact that the power to make it is usually a fossil fuel and is just as bad. and then the article i had read about the little company that is making it somewhere here in the midwest i beleive. it is more expensive. sooooo. i don't think it as it is today would really fit the bill. i would have to say that the company that makes it should make sure that the electricity they are using isn't something that is going to be fucking us just as bad. i'm not saying that they have to have six hundred windmills in the backyard. but i think like me you and many others are serious about this. i truly beleive a small group of people can make a difference. and one other thing. i don't want to have to spend oodles updating my car so it can run the new fuel. i have no problems changing some stuff over. but i am a fairly intelligent person. i know there is a way. so much stuff in this world is thrown away. it might be that bio-diesel is the way. but i want it to be clearly the way to go. i wan to fill up with a clear conceince and i want anyone who owns a late model car to be able to afford to do the same thing. not just a few cars out there. not the elite rich.
Hey, I've heard the same thing about bio-diesel, however, consider this. Bio-diesel is still essentially in a development phase, most engines today run on straight gasoline. Once bio-diesel gains a foothold and more options become available, then whatever fossil fuels and equipment they are using now can be replaced with bio-diesel equipment and fuel as well. The current method of making the fuel is just an investment until the fuel becomes widespread. Once it becomes widespread and bio-diesel engines become more commonplace, then this disadvantage goes away.

Also, any diesel engine can run bio-diesel, no need to change anything. I just picked up a diesel car for this purpose. Most new cars support E85 which is a mixture of 85% ethanol and 15% gas, this fuel is slowly becoming available as well so make sure your next car is E85 compliant or runs diesel.

Having a late model car is unfortunately a problem, however, all cars of any age can run on run on a mixture 15% ethanol and 85% gas. A lot of gas stations provide this already and nobody even knows about it, usually there is a sticker on the pump stating the percentage of ethanol. This isn't much, but its something for people who are driving older cars.

miss_muffet
09-05-2005, 07:08 PM
hmmm. good point about the bio-diesel thank you. i just don't want to get so hung up on not using gas that i am doing worse for the enviorment. :-)