PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Blasts Bush Over Katrina

PhilosophyGenius
09-02-2005, 05:06 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050902/ap_on_re_us/katrina_jackson_hk4

By DOUG SIMPSON, Associated Press Writer

BATON ROUGE, La. - Racism is partly to blame for the deadly aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the Rev Jesse Jackson said, calling President Bush's response to the disaster "incompetent."

"Today, as the President comes to Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi for his ceremonial trip to look at the victims of the devastation, he would do well to have a plan more significant than a ceremonial tour," Jackson said Friday.

"His whole response is unacceptable."

Bush has acknowledged that the federal response has not been acceptable, but promised that the government would get supplies to survivors and crack down on violence in New Orleans.

Jackson questioned why Bush has not named blacks to top positions in the federal response to the disaster, particularly when the majority of victims remaining stranded in New Orleans are black: "How can blacks be locked out of the leadership, and trapped in the suffering?"

"It is that lack of sensitivity and compassion that represents a kind of incompetence."

U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Russell Honore, head of the military task force overseeing operations in the three states, is black. His task force is providing search and rescue, medical help and sending supplies to the three states in support of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Jackson was in Baton Rouge to take part in a local project using a caravan of buses to pick up people stranded in New Orleans and transport them out. He spoke at a news conference at the state emergency center

The civil rights leader said the flooding that caused thousands to be trapped inside the city was caused by a lack of federal funding for its levee system and hurricane planning. The resulting tragedy, he said, has largely hit New Orleans' black residents, because they were too poor to evacuate before the storm hit.

"There's a historical indifference to the pain of poor people and black people" in this country, he said.

Jackson also said the news media has "criminalized the people of New Orleans"by focusing on violence in the city.

PhilosophyGenius
09-02-2005, 05:07 PM
this foo's always playing the race card

EminemsRevenge
09-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Jesse is BLACK????

That housenigga's getting uppity:redcreatu

ThotPolice
09-02-2005, 11:59 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact they are poor, if it had of been Alabama
that got hit the hardest we would be seeing the same stuff, but with white people. Jesse is capitalizing on a disaster.

somebigguy
09-03-2005, 11:10 AM
He is always playing the race card, it drives me nuts.

You know how racism is learned and all that bullshit??? Well, if people would stop bringing it up all the time, then newer generations would grow up not knowing what racism is and the problem would be solved.

princesskittypoo
09-03-2005, 09:41 PM
i don't know if that's the way you solve racism but i do think that jesse jackson brings it up a great deal. but i mean that is the way he makes his living. breeding the hatred in a strange twisted way.

beltman713
09-03-2005, 09:47 PM
this foo's always playing the race card
I've looked in every deck of cards I've got, and I haven't found a race card yet. Is that something like a joker?