PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Blog

rachel
09-01-2005, 04:50 PM
The Interdictor blog (http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/) is recording what's going on in New Orleans. Unfortunately, he had to take down the pictures and live video feed (for now), but the reading is enough:
--------------

Situtation is critical.

I'm not leaving, so stop asking. I'm staying. I am staying until this shitstorm has blown itself out. Period. End of discussion.

Now for some updates:

1. Been too busy to debrief the police officer, so that will come later. Low priority now.

2. Buses loading people up on Camp Street to take refugees to Dallas, or so the word on the street (literally) is.

3. Dead bodies everywhere: convention center, down camp street, all over.

4. National Guard shoving water off the backs of trucks. They're just pushing it off without stopping, people don't even know it's there at first -- they drop it on the side in debris, there's no sign or distribution point -- people are scared to go near it at first, because the drop points are guarded by troops or federal agents with assault rifles who don't let people come near them, which scares people off. It is a mess. When people actually get to the water, they are in such a rush to get it that one family left their small child behind and forget about him until Sig carried him back to the family.

5. Lots of pics coming soon when Sig has time to update.

It's raining now and I guess that's a relief from the heat. It's hot as hell down there in the sun. Crime is absolutely rampant: rapes, murders, rape-murder combinations.
--------------------

princesskittypoo2
09-01-2005, 07:10 PM
hey rachel. we're having problems in mississippi as well. not to the extent ya'll are having but it's pretty bad in any case. all the way up to jackson most places have no power, water, or phone services. many don't have food. major losses of houses due to the hurricane and tornados spinning off. thankfully all my people have been found and are well. took a while to locate everyone though. i havn't heard of any murders or rapes in the mississippi area thankfully. though i did hear some guy murdered his sister for a bag of ice in hattiesburg yesturday. i know mostly about pine belt region though and jackson area. they were hit hard but definitely not as hard as the coast and new orleans. mississippi coast is basically obliterated. hattiesburg, ms without power, water, phone services, and food and gas. many trees and power lines down. same in the purvis and petal areas. Picayune area looks like a war zone. Slidell is unliveable. mostly underwater like new orleans. Kiln, ms is the same as picayune area. Many parts of jackson, ms are still without power and water though they do have phone services. Power is still out through most of starkville and oxford area. My house in tupelo only had flickering power outages but many of my friends have just recovered their power. we never lost water supplies here.
I found most of my information out about mississippi from the hattiesburg american online newspaper. Thank god for them!

www.hattiesburgamerican.com

i did find out that they were slowing making their way through interstate 59 and highway 49 with power. Slowly but surely things will get back to normal here. i'm very worried about new orleans though. I don't think it will ever be back to normal.

princesskittypoo2
09-01-2005, 07:12 PM
oh one thing that is bad is everything is by word of mouth because the communcation systems are so cut off. sporatic cellphone coverage and no phone services can do that. so a friend has to tell a friend who tells another. it's all rumor around here lately. and unfortunately sometimes rumors turn into facts in this case. they say tuesday will be the earliest anyone is let into the mississippi areas.