PDA

View Full Version : Evangelist Backs Off Chavez Assassination Call

Gold9472
08-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Evangelist backs off Chavez assassination call

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050824/us_nm/venezuela_robertson_dc_12;_ylt=AqzDxqiRhLJZCcIKOIY 11gNjhuIA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

(Gold9472: Gee... ya think?)

2 hours, 16 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Conservative U.S. evangelist Pat Robertson, who called for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, said on Wednesday he was misinterpreted and there were a number of ways to "take him out" including kidnapping.

"I said our special forces could take him out. Take him out could be a number of things including kidnapping," Robertson said on his "The 700 Club" television program.

"There are a number of ways of taking out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted," Robertson added.

Robertson, the founder of the Christian Coalition and a presidential candidate in 1988, said on Monday of Chavez, one of Bush's most vocal critics: "If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it."

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability." He made the comments during his "The 700 Club" television program.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on Tuesday dismissed Robertson's remarks, but the White House remained silent despite calls for repudiation from Venezuela and religious leaders including the Rev. Jesse Jackson. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack called "without fact and baseless" any ideas of hostile action against Chavez or Venezuela.

The leftist Chavez has often accused the United States of plotting his overthrow or assassination. Alongside Cuban President Fidel Castro in Havana on Sunday, Chavez scoffed at the idea that he and Castro were destabilizing troublemakers.

Chavez survived a short-lived coup in 2002 that he says was backed by the United States. Washington denies involvement.

Venezuelan officials said Robertson's remarks, while those of a private citizen, took on more significance given his ties to President George W. Bush's Christian-right supporters.

"Mr Robertson has been one of this president's staunchest allies. His statement demands the strongest condemnation by the White House," Venezuela's ambassador to the United States Bernardo Alvarez said.

Gold9472
08-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Wow... if people accept this "apology", then we truly are idiots.

beltman713
08-24-2005, 03:25 PM
This part makes it obvious what he meant ---> "If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it."

Gold9472
08-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Right... he meant to kidnap him which is obviously acceptable.

Partridge
08-24-2005, 04:01 PM
"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it."

"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it."

That's all I have to say.

Oh, and Die Robertson, Die!

(By which I mean, The Roberstson, The!)
(Stolen from the The Simpsons)

Gold9472
08-24-2005, 04:20 PM
I bet this is the last we hear of this.

911=inside job
08-24-2005, 04:44 PM
it better not be...

ehnyah
08-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Venezuela & Robertson - The Rest of the Story

I thought I'd translate this little tidbit via the Nuevo Herald for your pleasure. As always, all mistakes and errors are entirely mine:

Statement of Ambassador Bernardo Alvarez

The following is the statement released on Tuesday from the Venezuelan Ambassador to the United States, Bernardo Alvarez, concerning Pat Robertson's comments:

"We would like to thank the people of the United States for the support they have offered us after the Reverend Pat Robertson openly called for the assassination of the President of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez. All day today at the Embassy we have received hundreds of messages of support and solidarity from Americans.

We feel extremely disappointed by Pat Robertson's comments on the television Christian Broadcast Network. Reverend Pat Robertson is no ordinary citizen. Robertson ran for president on the United States. The Christian Coalition, whose leader is Reverend Robertson, has close to 2 million members and receives millions of dollars every year. In 2000, his support was key in giving George W. Bush the primary election win in South Carolina, which clinched his nomination for the Republican Party for the office of president. Mr. Robertson has been one of President Bush's strongest allies. His statement should be strongly condemned by the White House.

Mr. Robertson's call for the government of the United States to secretly assassinate President Hugo Chavez is a clear incitement to terrorism. The request that he made to President Bush to violently enforce the antiquated Monroe Doctrine in Venezuela is a clear request for the American government to intervene in the sovreign matters of our democratic nation.

The United States cannot permit its citizens to use its territory to incite terrorism and the assassination of a president of another country who was democratically elected. Venezuela calls on the United States to respect domestic and international laws concerning our country and our president.

Pat Robertson's statements should be condemned by the Bush administration in the strongest possible terms because we are worried about the security of our president. It is essential for us that the government of the United States guarantees the safety of President Chavez in the future, including when he travels to address the United Nations in New York.

The messages we have received from many American citizens clearly demonstrates that when Pat Robertson called for the assassination of President Chavez he was not speaking for Christians in the United States nor in the name of the "Christian Coalition"

more:

http://www.weblog.ro/soj/2005-08-24.html#42577