PDA

View Full Version : Cindy Is Back At Camp Casey

Gold9472
08-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Mother to resume Bush ranch sit-in

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1274&storyid=3670264

August 25, 2005

CINDY Sheehan, the anti-Iraq-war standard-bearer who had been camped near President George W. Bush's Texas ranch, said overnight that she intended to return there after a break to tend to her ailing mother.

"I'm coming back to Crawford for my son. As long as the president, who sent him to die in a senseless war, is in Crawford, that is where I belong," Mrs Sheehan said.

She said she had gone to Crawford, Texas, where the president is spending the month of August, "to try and see the president and get an answer to a very simple question: What is the noble cause that he says my son died for?

"The answer to that question will not bring my son back. But it may stop more meaningless deaths. Because every death is now a meaningless one. And the vast majority of our country knows this," she said.

Mrs Sheehan earlier announced that she was leaving "Camp Casey," the protest site she named for her son, and returning to California because her mother had suffered a stroke.

She has said she plans to stay outside the president's vacation home until he either meets with her or returns to Washington.

"This isn't about politics. It's about what is good for America and what's best for our security and how far this president has taken us away from both," Mrs Sheehan said.

More than 1800 US soldiers have been killed in Iraq and thousands more wounded in a conflict with a price tag in the tens of billions of dollars.

A recent poll found that a majority of Americans - 57 per cent - believe that the war has made the United States more vulnerable to terrorist attacks, despite Mr Bush's frequent arguments that the conflict has made the country safer.