PDA

View Full Version : "I've Got a Life to Live:" The Obliviousness of Boy-King George

ehnyah
08-19-2005, 10:57 PM
by Paul Street; August 19, 2005

Here are 24 words from the mouth of George W. Bush that deserve to live in infamy: "I think it's also important for me to go on with my life, to keep a balanced life...I've got a life to live." Bush recently gave reporters this declaration in response to reporters' queries as to how he can take off five weeks to play on his Crawford ranch while United States troops sink deeper into misery and catastrophe in imperially Iraq (see Maureen Dowd, "Biking Toward Nowhere," New York Times, 17 August 2005, p. A23). There was no comment from Bon Jovi, who once said: "It's my life. It's now or never. I ain't gonna live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive."

The president likes to spend significant parts of his life off the clock. As Washington Post reporters Jim VandeHei and Peter Baker noted two weeks ago, "President Bush is getting the kind of break most Americans can only dream of: nearly five weeks away from the office, loaded with vacation time. The president departed yesterday for his longest stretch yet away from the White House, arriving at his Crawford ranch in the evening for a round of clearing brush, visiting with family and friends, and tending to some outside-the-Beltway politics. It is the longest presidential retreat in at least 36 years. The August getaway is Bush's 49th trip to his cherished ranch since taking office and the 319th day that Bush has spent, entirely or partially, in Crawford - nearly 20 percent of his presidency to date, according to Mark Knoller, a CBS Radio reporter known for keeping better records of the president's travel than the White House itself. Weekends and holidays at Camp David or at his parents' compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, bump up the proportion of Bush's time away from Washington even further."

"Until now," VandeHei and Peter Baker added, "probably no modern president was a more famous vacationer than Ronald Reagan, who loved spending time at his ranch in Santa Barbara, Calif. According to an Associated Press count, Reagan spent all or part of 335 days in Santa Barbara over his eight-year presidency - a total that Bush will surpass this month in Crawford with 3 ½ years left in his second term."

As the angry and grieving mother of a dead GI camps outside his west Texas playground, daring "Bring 'Em On Bush" to look her in the eyes, the president is alternately clearing brush, napping, riding his bicycle, and working out two hours a day. Perhaps he's poring through issues of SELF, MEN'S HEALTH, or some of those magazines' pseudo-Christian-fundamentalist counterparts. Bush is certainly spending time in spiritual consultation, hearing from his favorite mega-ministers about how Jesus needs him to re-charge his batteries to more effectively spread what he calls "freedom."

Bush's "life to live" comment sends a shockingly narcissistic message at a moment when he has sent tens of thousands of Americans and Iraqis to morgues, burn units, and prosthetic clinics in the execution of an immoral and unnecessary war. How "balanced" are the lives of returned American soldiers struggling with amputations and/or the loss of their sight and/or hearing and/or with terrible scars inflicted during their utilization in George "Mission Accomplished" Bush's assault on "easy targets" (Donald Rumsfeld) in Iraq. Some of these Americans need nurses to turn them over during naps. It'll be a long time before many of these veterans get back on a bicycle or a treadmill.

What sort of "balance" is available to the survivors of those killed by Bush's failed and criminal Iraq policy - the mourning parents, siblings, spouses, children, friends, and lovers of mostly working-class soldiers sacrificed in W.'s new imperialist charnel grounds? Unlike America's "Fortunate Son" president, who cheered poorer and browner others to death and murder in a Vietnam War he managed to physically avoid, their sons, daughters, cousins, fathers, daughters, wives, and husbands no longer have lives to live. The notion of living one's own life is a fine, venerably American sentiment, but problems emerge when the way you act on the principle leads to death, maiming, and other forms of misery for masses of other people.

What sort of "balance" is available to the practically invisible (within U.S. media's electronic bubble world)Iraqis, whose country as been turned into chaotic shooting gallery so that Bush could look like a big man and deepen America's grip on the Middle Eastern oil spigot after 9/11?

At least Bush's fellow Texan Lyndon Baines Johnson had the decency to lose some sleep over the miserable mass-murderous fiasco he criminally escalated in Vietnam. There's no such agonizing for War Criminal Bush II. As Maureen Dowd noted in yesterday's New York Times, Bush's "war, which has not accomplished any of its purposes, swallows ever more American lives and inflames ever more Muslim hearts as W. reads a book about the history of salt and looks forward to his biking date with Lance Armstrong on Saturday."

She might have added that "Operation Iraqi Freedom" (do they still call it that?) also takes ever more Iraqi lives and that its purposes were invalid and deceptively stated from the beginning. But her basic point is a good one: America and the world is captive to the oblivious, self-satisfied, and mass-murderous whims of a narcissistic, delusional, and out-of-touch "Boy in the Bubble" who happens to hold the most dangerous job in the world.

Amidst all the misery he has imposed at home and abroad, full of dangerous implications for his own citizens, the president is pedaling through his own personal Neverland Ranch in anesthetized indifference to the consequences of his actions. "I've got a life to live" is his New Age version of "Let Them Eat Cake." If this isn't a call for revolution, or at least impeachment, then I've never seen one. Here's my own little pearl of not-so New Age wisdom on how to achieve some personal balance in these troubling times: it's okay to hate this president and his administration. Come to Washington DC on September 24th and join the rising chorus of revulsion at Bush and his crimes.

Paul Street (pstreet99@sbcglobal.net) is the author of Empire and Inequality: America and the World Since 9/11 (Boulder, CO: Paradigm Publishers, 2004: www.paradigmpublishers.com). His latest book is Segregated Schools: Race, Class, and Educational Apartheid in the Post-Civil Rights Era (New York, NY: Routledge, 2005), to be released at the end of August.

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=15&ItemID=8538

ehnyah
08-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Bush's reluctance is evidence of Iraq lies

August 20, 2005

When asked if he had time to meet with Cindy Sheehan, the grieving mother who is camped near Bush's ranch in Crawford, the president said, "I think it's important for me to be thoughtful and sensitive to those who have got something to say. But, I think it's also important for me to go on with my life, to keep a balanced life."

Here's an idea. President Bush should resign and then he would indeed have plenty of time to get on with his life. He should resign because he lied to the American people about the reasons for going to war in Iraq.

Everyone in his Cabinet should resign. They all are part of this huge tragedy in Iraq.

President Bush has chosen not to meet with Cindy Sheehan because he can't face her. He doesn't have an answer to her question, which is, what is the noble cause my son died for?

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050820/OPINION/508200312/1050