PDA

View Full Version : Judge Berates U.S. Failures As 9/11 Supporter Is Convicted

Gold9472
08-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Judge berates US failures as 9/11 supporter is convicted

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1742264,00.html

By Richard Beeston, Diplomatic Editor
August 20, 2005

A GERMAN court yesterday convicted a Moroccan student of belonging to the al-Qaeda cell responsible for the attacks on America of September 11, 2001, but acquitted him of direct involvement in the murder of nearly 3,000 people.

Mounir al-Motassadeq, 31, was sentenced to seven years in prison for membership of a terrorist organisation, but the judge ruled that the more serious charges were not proven, in part because of a failure by the US authorities to co-operate with the prosecution.

In a three-hour judgment, read out before a court in Hamburg, Judge Ernst-Rainer Schudt said that the US Justice Department had refused to co-operate fully with the German court.

“How are we supposed to do justice to our task when important documents are withheld from us?” the judge asked.

Although Washington did send transcripts of interviews with two al-Qaeda members in American custody, Judge Schudt complained that the testimony was incomplete and that the two witnesses should have been interviewed in person.

Al-Motassadeq, an electrical engineering student at the Technical University in Hamburg, had been sentenced in 2003 to 15 years for his alleged role in helping to prepare the September 11 attacks. But the verdict was overturned on appeal last year.

During the retrial he admitted that he had trained at an al-Qaeda camp in Afghanistan and was close to three members of the September 11 cell, Mohammad Atta, Marwan al-Shehhi and Ziad Jarrah. Judge Schudt dismissed as “absurd” al-Motassadeq’s claim that he had attended the training camp run by Osama bin Laden to learn shooting, swimming and other skills required by good Muslims. “They were not tourist camps,” the judge said.

Instead, the thin, bearded and softly spoken Moroccan played an important role in running the financial affairs for the Hamburg cell and covered for them when they left for America. The judge said the defendant must have known that they were plotting an attack but that there was no evidence he knew the details and that he appeared “too lightweight” and “too soft” to be directly involved.

He said “a general knowledge or an inkling” was not enough to prove he was an accessory to the deaths of thousands of people.

The conviction on the lesser charges was hailed as a victory against terrorism by the German authorities, who were embarrassed last year when another Moroccan defendant facing the same charges had his conviction overturned and was set free. Families of the September 11 victims also welcomed yesterday’s conviction as justice for those who died.

Dominic Puopolo, whose mother, Sonia Morales Puopolo, died on the plane hijacked by Atta, said: “I am concerned that we are missing something, but I do not want to let it take away from today’s tremendous victory and to have put this dangerous man off the streets.”

Al-Motassadeq, a father of two, listened impassively to the verdict and was taken into custody at the end of the hearing. His lawyer said that he would appeal against the conviction.

Gold9472
08-19-2005, 07:59 PM
I have a really really really stupid question. Shouldn't the United States OF ALL countries want to punish those responsible for the attacks of 9/11? Shouldn't the United States OF ALL countries want to cooperate any way we can in order to hold those responsible, accountable?

Shouldn't Fox News Zombies be FURIOUS with this news? Logically, if you follow the "Official Story", finding out that the United States didn't cooperate during a trial for someone who helped "prepare the September 11 attacks", should make you FURIOUS.

Gold9472
08-19-2005, 08:17 PM
I hate it when I make a great point, and no one is around to see it. :burnout:

somebigguy
08-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Email this information to the news organizations instead of whining like a little girl.

Gold9472
08-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Email this information to the news organizations instead of whining like a little girl.

:blah1:

somebigguy
08-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Dude, you better email that shit around!!!

somebigguy
08-19-2005, 09:25 PM
if you don't I'd be happy to, but I think my contacts might be getting sick of me.

Gold9472
08-19-2005, 09:28 PM
ok... I'll email it

Gold9472
08-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Done... blasted away.

somebigguy
08-19-2005, 09:39 PM
That was quick, lots of news organizations you know.

Gold9472
08-19-2005, 09:47 PM
That was quick, lots of news organizations you know.

I have a pre-fab email ready to go with 1000 addresses.

Gold9472
08-19-2005, 09:48 PM
I can do that because I have a mac.

somebigguy
08-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Thats more like it!!

Gold9472
08-29-2005, 06:18 PM
bump

AuGmENTor
07-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Did you ever end up hearing from anyone in response to this... (you prolly wont even see this, as I find alot of the time, with the site getting this big, you just don't get to see EVERYTHING... So I'll just guess, "no".

Gold9472
07-16-2006, 09:42 AM
No. This is a good story though. The U.S. Government refused to cooperate with the prosecution of someone who supposedly attacked us... what?

AuGmENTor
07-16-2006, 10:45 AM
What would be cool would be to start a new media outlet, where it was the REAL news. And now back to our PA correspondent, Jon Gold.... Jon?

Gold9472
07-16-2006, 10:53 AM
What would be cool would be to start a new media outlet, where it was the REAL news. And now back to our PA correspondent, Jon Gold.... Jon?

Thanks Andrew. We take you now to Washington D.C. where the final verdict in the case of "Bush vs. The American People" is about to be announced. If the President and his Administration are found guilty, they will most likely receive the death sentence, in accordance with the laws of Treason. If the President and his Administration are found innocent, I have no doubt that riots will erupt across this country.

AuGmENTor
07-16-2006, 11:04 AM
We'll get back to Jon as that story develops... Now for some input from Barry Zweiker on chemtrails, and what they're really all aboot.... Barry?

Gold9472
09-23-2007, 03:42 PM
bump