PDA

View Full Version : Iraq War Veteran Responds to the Crawford Memorial Vandal

ehnyah
08-18-2005, 10:57 AM
A Message to the Crawford Memorial Vandal
11:00 AM Aug 17, 2005

(SEE BELOW TO BUY TICKETS FOR THE SANDSTORM)
On Monday night, a vandal in a pickup truck ran over hundreds of small white crosses that had been installed in Crawford, Texas as a simple memorial to the Troops killed in Iraq. The vandal, who police say is Waco resident Larry Northern, was soon arrested, and OpTruth's Perry Jefferies managed to find his e-mail address. Here's what he had to say:

Mr. Northern:

I am a Veteran of the Iraq war, having served with the 4th Infantry Division on the initial invasion with Force Package One.

While I was in Iraq,a very good friend of mine, Christopher Cutchall,was killed in an unarmoredHMMWV outside of Baghdad. He was a cavalry scout serving with the 3d ID.Once he had declined the award of a medal because Soldiers assigned to him did not receive similar awards that he had recommended. He left two sons and awonderful wife. On Monday night, August 16, you ran down the memorial cross erected for him by Arlington West.

One of my Soldiers in Iraq was Roger Turner. We gave him a hard time because he always wore all of his protective equipment, including three pairs of glasses or goggles. He did this because he wanted to make sure that he returned home to his family. He rode a bicycle to work every day to make sure that he was able to save enough money on his Army salary to send his son to college. At Camp Anaconda, where the squadron briefly stayed, a rocket landed inside a tent, sending a piece of debris or fragment into him and killed him. On Monday night, August 16, you ran down the memorial cross erected for him by Arlington West.

One of my Soldiers was Henry Bacon. He was one of the finest men I ever met. He was in perfect shape for a man over forty, working hard at night. He told me that he did that because he didn't have much money to buy nice things for his wife, who he loved so much, so he had to be in good shape for her. He was like a father to many young men in his section of maintenance mechanics. They fixed our vehicles with almost no support and fabricated parts and made repairs that kept our squadron rolling on the longest, fastest armor advance ever made under fire. He was so very proud of his son-in-law that married the beautiful daughter so well raised by Henry. His son-in-law was a helicopter pilot with the 1st Cavalry Division, who died last year. Henry stopped to rescue a vehicle belonging to another unit on what was to be his last day in Iraq. He could have kept rolling - he was headed to Kuwait after a year's tour. But he stopped. He could have sent others to do the work, but he was on the ground, leading by example, when he was killed. On Monday night, August 16, you took it upon yourself to go out in the country, where a peaceful group was exercising their constitutional rights, and harming no one, and you ran down the memorial cross erected for Henry and for his son-in-law by Arlington West.

Mr. Northern - I know little about Cindy Sheehan except that she is a grieving mother, a gentle soul, and wants to bring harm to no one. I know little about you except that you found your way to Crawford on Monday night in August with chains and a pipe attached to your truck for the sole purpose of dishonoring a memorial erected for my friends and lost Soldiers and hundreds of others that served this nation when they were called. I find it disheartening that good men like these have died so that people like you can threaten a mother who lost a child with your actions. I hope that you are ashamed of yourself.

Perry Jefferies, First Sergeant, USA (retired)

To reserve tickets for tonight's performance of The Sandstorm in Washington, D.C., CLICK HERE.

Add a comment

http://www2.operationtruth.com/dia/organizations/OpTruth/blog/comments.jsp?blog_entry_KEY=19954

beltman713
08-18-2005, 04:03 PM
That just about says it all.

ehnyah
08-18-2005, 04:21 PM
At this point, anyone meandering boards trying to paint lipstick on a pig is probably a paid "perception manager". However, since people have no quams attacking a mother, I'm sure some slack jawed yokel can tell us these guys are anti-semetic or maybe un-american.

"damn you soldiers, don't you know soldiers are dying so you can be shipped off as cannon fodder, how ungrateful, what are you anti-semetic? this guy should be dishonorably discharged and tried for treason for questioning our fearless and corageous omnipotent leader"

More:

Iraq veteran speaks: Jason Gunn

"I expressed my dislike for the war all the time. I would say that I hated it. I didn't believe it was the right thing to do. The whole country and the American soldiers should not be over there fighting a war for someone who wants to make a quick buck. I don't want to be hired over there to protect somebody else's assets.

Did any other soldiers in your unit express dissent?

All of the soldiers expressed the same beliefs. But we had to do our work. Either that or be dishonorably discharged."

Why do you think there are extensions?

They have extensions because they are ill-prepared with everything that is happening. They have no idea what they're doing.

What do you think about Secretary Rumsfeld's projection that we could be in Iraq for another 12 years?

The only reason they say we're going to be there 12 more years is so they can have more time -- more leniency -- for how they're going to pull out. They're buying themselves more time so they can come up with a better strategy to get more money from that country."

http://yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3979