PDA

View Full Version : Oh No! Canada!

Uber Commandante
08-09-2005, 03:37 PM
SBG, SBG, SBG...

I had come to expect so much more from our northern neighbors.

I just read the sad news that Marc Emery Seeds has been shut down, the BC Marijuana party is pretty much out of business as a result, and most unbelievable, Marc Emery and 2 others are facing extradition to the US for selling seeds to US customers - if convicted they would face life in prison.

Here's the good part - Marc Emery seeds was even paying taxes to the Canadian governement on the sale of the seeds to the US.

WHY, oh WHY, can't someone stand up to the US? Why are all these countries just US lapdogs????

www.cannabisculture.com has loads of info on the case.

911=inside job
08-09-2005, 04:40 PM
he owns cannabisculture the mag... this guy is a true freedom fighter... he has big fucking balls.... i hope he runs to holland or france....

Elvy Musikka is a lady that still gets herb from the government and she hangs out at a mmclub i goto... she is a cool old lady...

somebigguy
08-09-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm not familiar with this story unfortunately, its a shame though. Hemp is legal here, I put it on my cereal every morning, is that what he was selling or was it the good stuff?

We're not really lap dogs though, we didn't go to war remember!!! Long live Chretien, I hated him until then!!

somebigguy
08-09-2005, 09:19 PM
I see there are links for contacting the Justice Minister as well as various links for the media (which I will happily add to my ever growing list). I will do my civic duty to help this guy out.

somebigguy
08-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Here ya go guys:

No matter where you are in the world, please call all three of these phone numbers every week. We definitely need active, vocal support from Americans and also from the international community.

* Irwin Cotler's Constituency Office: 514-283-0171
* Irwin Cotler's Parliamentary Office: 613-995-0121
* Justice Department Office: 613-992-4621

I've been fighting your fight for a year now...

Uber Commandante
08-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Nice list, SBG - I should have included those contact numbers. My wife and I are actually hosting some Canadian friends for the week (we used to live in Vancouver), and they were very concerened about this - not because they are huge smokers, but because Marc Emery is a Canadian, living in Canada, who broke no canadian laws, and yet Canada is willfully extraditing him to the US for prosecutuion??? What the fuck is that??

I say it should be a concern because it is the begining of the absorbtion of Canada into the US - after all, we need your water and bedrock crude oil reserves that will become profitable to extract as the 'easy to extract' crude runs low. You have shitloads in Alberta.

But I digress - its just fucked up that your own country would send your countryman to another country to face prosecution for breaking the OTHER countries laws. What kind of precident is that? Not a good one.

somebigguy
08-10-2005, 03:31 PM
I dig Uber, lets give the guy some support!!!

ehnyah
08-11-2005, 09:01 AM
"Why are all these countries just US lapdogs????"

http://media.portland.indymedia.org/images/2005/06/318996.jpg

But not for long...bye-bye dollar...we're trying something new, you can "stay the course"...LMAO

China Says Dollar, Euro, Yen, Won Are in Yuan Basket

Aug. 10 (Bloomberg) -- China's central bank said the dollar, euro, yen and South Korean won are the main components of the currency basket it uses to manage its new exchange-rate regime.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aw8x3ylEbg7I&refer=news_index#

ehnyah
08-11-2005, 10:49 AM
...and actually the USA doesn't really exist anymore, it's just a brand name that doesn't even do well on the propaganda market...

We don't even make our own yellow ribbon magnets.

http://media.portland.indymedia.org/images/2005/05/317526.jpg

Gold9472
08-16-2005, 01:09 PM
A blow for the 'Prince of Pot'
The possible extradition to the US of a prominent marijuana enthusiast has sparked anger in Canada, reports Anne McIlroy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/journalist/story/0,7792,1550047,00.html

Tuesday August 16, 2005

For years, Canadian authorities ignored the lucrative mail-order marijuana business run by Marc Emery, Canada's most prominent proponent for legalising weed. The self-styled "Prince of Pot" sold cannabis seeds via the internet to customers all over the world, including the United States.

But the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) was far less tolerant, and, during an 18-month investigation, sent undercover agents to pose as customers. They asked that Mr Emery be arrested for selling to Americans, and, earlier this summer, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police picked him up. Now he is facing extradition to the United States, where he could be sentenced to at least 10 years and possibly life in prison if he is convicted on a number of drug-related charges.

This has angered many Canadians, who even if they don't approve of Mr Emery's activities, fear that the long arm of the law in the US is now reaching across the border. They say it is wrong for a Canadian to be tried in the United State for selling marijuana seeds from his Vancouver base. The US has far harsher penalties.

"I'm deeply concerned about subjecting a Canadian citizen to the draconian laws of a foreign nation when we don't bother charging this person for violating our laws," Alan Young, an associate professor of law at Osgoode Hall, wrote in the Globe and Mail newspaper.

"A Canadian citizen is now exposed to US drug sentences which border on cruel and unusual punishment - for violating a law we rarely enforce in Canada," said Mr Young, who in the past has done legal work for Mr Emery.

Mr Emery, the head of the British Columbia Marijuana party, has been arrested 11 times for offences related to smoking pot or selling it over the counter at a Vancouver store, but he was usually fined or imprisoned for short periods. He says the police did not bother him once he began selling seeds exclusively through his mail-order business. But it was that business that led a federal grand jury in the United States to indict him on charges of distributing marijuana seeds, marijuana and of money laundering. The DEA says he was bringing in about $2.5m a year and that many of his customers were in the US.

He says he never tried to hide what he was doing.

"Unlike most other seed dealers, I use my real name and I'm easy to find," he said in a media interview in 2002.

The case highlights the dramatically different approaches to marijuana in Canada and the United States. Using the drug for medical purposes is legal in Canada, and the federal government is planning to decriminalise the possession of small amounts of the drug. Earlier this summer, an appeal court in British Columbia ruled that a two-year jail term for growing marijuana was excessive.

But that doesn't mean that a Canadian court - or ultimately the federal justice minister - will refuse to extradite Mr Emery to the US under the mutual legal assistance treaty, someone can be sent the United States to be tried for acts that are considered an offence in both countries. Selling marijuana seeds in Canada is still illegal, even if the law is rarely enforced.

If the courts rule in favour of extradition, Mr Emery's supporters say Irwin Cotler, the federal justice minister, should intervene and refuse to extradite the pot activist on the grounds that he faces cruel and unusual punishment. At the very least, they say he should get a guarantee from the US that the minimum 10-year sentence will not be enforced.

While the DEA portrays him as a wealthy drug trafficker, his supporters say Mr Emery is primarily an activist, who uses the money from his cannabis business to finance political activities. After getting out of jail on bail earlier this month, he compared himself to Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King and said he was prepared to serve time to help his crusade to legalise pot.

"If I thought my death or my lifetime in prison - even with great suffering - would bring about the liberation of the hundreds of thousands of people around the world who are oppressed, I am looking forward to that," he told reporters.