PDA

View Full Version : A National Debt web site: What's Goin' On?

Good Doctor HST
01-29-2005, 12:59 PM
If you get a chance, please check out this site which shows the National Debt Clock.

http://www.toptips.com/debtclock.html

and read the accompanying notes on our debt. I just think it's interesting stuff; stuff I know absolutely nothing about and I've got to read up on. Like, I always wondered why the U.S. just couldn't print up a trillion dollars to pay off debts, or what the currency really stands for....

Okay, feel free to respond. I'm interested in everyone's opinions.

Gold9472
01-29-2005, 03:06 PM
That clock says that I pay $121,000.00 a year... I don't make that much... does that mean the Government spends my money without my knowledge, and in fact, I OWE that amount?

Good Doctor HST
01-29-2005, 03:46 PM
It appears that way.

Here's what I don't get. Our national debt has increased every year since 1900. Why the fuck does our government continue on its same path if it keeps owing more and more money per year? What do they think is going to happen to turnaround the trend? They've went from using gold as the standard backer of money to silver to silver certificates to federal promissory notes.... which means they're creating money with I.O.U.'s to back it up. That's not good.

So how do we go in the positive direction? Can you make silver in a laboratory or something? Would that make sense? I just don't get it; I can't wrap my mind around how dollars and cents represent some kind of standard value.....

Gold9472
01-29-2005, 09:56 PM
It appears that way.

Here's what I don't get. Our national debt has increased every year since 1900. Why the fuck does our government continue on its same path if it keeps owing more and more money per year? What do they think is going to happen to turnaround the trend? They've went from using gold as the standard backer of money to silver to silver certificates to federal promissory notes.... which means they're creating money with I.O.U.'s to back it up. That's not good.

So how do we go in the positive direction? Can you make silver in a laboratory or something? Would that make sense? I just don't get it; I can't wrap my mind around how dollars and cents represent some kind of standard value.....

We would have to somehow take control of Government spending. As you can see from several other threads, our "elected officials" spend our money as they see fit, and not as the people see fit... Whatever benefits the corporations, etc... I realize that the corporations also give jobs to Americans, etc... but they should be forced to compete legitimately, and not be helped by our Government based on campaign contributions, etc...