PDA

View Full Version : New Film Exposes Plight of 9/11 Rescuers

ehnyah
07-22-2005, 07:16 AM
NEW YORK - While Washington continues to spend billions of dollars on its global "war on terror," thousands of ordinary people who took part in cleaning up the World Trade Center site after the Sep. 11, 2001 attacks are left wondering if they will ever receive a single penny from the government for medical treatment.

"Never the Same," a recently released documentary, shows how tens of thousands of courageous New Yorkers rushed to the Twin Towers -- while they were still burning -- to save the lives of their fellow citizens.

Yet their ailments from exposure to toxic materials like asbestos and mercury at the site remain largely unacknowledged by government officials and callous politicians.

Driven by a deep sense of solidarity and compassion for the victims, they worked day in and day out among the poisonous clouds of dust and the toxic smoke that hovered above the Manhattan skyline for weeks.

As a result, many are still suffering from physical and emotional sicknesses, including severe breathing problems, skin rashes, nausea, depression and anxiety.

Preliminary data released by Manhattan's Mount Sinai Hospital, which was given funding to screen workers involved in the clean-up and recovery efforts, found that some 80 percent of emergency responders reported at least one respiratory symptom attributable to the aftermath of Sep. 11, including sore throat, chest tightness, cough and wheezing. Half were still having problems a year after the attacks.

"Despite sacrifices made by those selfless individuals," says Jonathan Levin, director of the film, "nothing has been provided by the U.S. government for their physical and emotional healthcare, while the Workers Compensation system treats them as frauds."

Workers Compensation is a state-run program that provides medical treatment and cash benefits for workers injured on the job -- regardless of their legal status. The window of time in which workers must file a claim usually expires two years after they first become aware of their injury.

Kevin Mount, a sanitation engineer who worked to clear the rubble, told reporters at a press conference in February that his experience with the municipal workers compensation board was "one big runaround".

After being hospitalized in February 2002 and diagnosed with restrictive airway disease, hepatitis C, sinusitis, gastric reflux disease and depression, Mount had to fight for three years to get assistance.

"The attorneys for New York disputed each and every one of my injuries," he said.

Spanning nearly half an hour, "Never the Same" is based on interviews with doctors and rescue workers who are still suffering from various diseases, and footage of testimony by legislators before the U.S. Congress.

In interviews with Levin, doctors at Mount Sinai who have seen and treated the rescue workers say that in addition to cancer, many affected volunteers may continue to suffer from asthma and other kinds of respiratory diseases for years.

"They should be examined year after year," says Dr. Stephen Levin, the director's father, who runs the clinic at Mount Sinai. "They need long- term medical help."

Levin and others testify that many of the patients they saw had no such diseases before Sep. 11.

According to one participant in a Congressional hearing held in November 2003, about 40,000 people took part in the rescue and cleanup operation at the World Trade Center site. They included a large number of undocumented immigrants, mostly from Latin American countries.

"I was a healthy father, son and husband before Sep. 11," a rescue worker tells U.S. lawmakers in the film. "Now I am a chronically ill man and anxious about my ability to support my family."

"I am no longer able to work. It breaks my heart not to be able to run and play with my daughter," he adds.

Moved by the rescue worker's story, Congressman Jerrold Nadler tells his fellow lawmakers: "People who are no longer able to work are being fired. They have no health benefits. This is not the way to treat them."

In the same hearing, Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney voices her concern over the official apathy towards the welfare of Sep. 11 heroes. "How in the world are other first responders going to respond to disasters if they see the first responders to Sep. 11 are not, at the very minimum, given health care?

Many experts in government bodies, according to Dr. Levin, refused to accept compensation claims by branding victims as "liars and cheats."

"It's infuriating that people who have done so much to help others have been put to this level of misery. They have been made to feel if they filed claims, they were essentially maligners and criminals," he says. "This is unacceptable."

The opening scenes of the movie show Pres. George W. Bush standing next to a team of rescue workers at the Trade Center site and a government official thanking all "those volunteers who took part in the rescue efforts."

This is contrasted with footage of doctors and volunteers exposing the hollowness of the official rhetoric. "I went down there to help," says one worker. "Now, it seems like I am one of the victims."

Rev. Franklin Chandler, a bus operator who rescued many people on Sep. 11, is genuinely angry. About the official refusal to compensate, he says: "It's really a slap in the face."

Levin says he chose to bring to light the stories of volunteers because "not only do they deserve recognition for their remarkable efforts, they deserve the healthcare they need to help them heal."

© 2005 IPS - Inter Press Service

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0719-01.htm

frindevil
07-23-2005, 12:26 AM
I used to work in Tower 1 about a year before 9/11 and sometime about 12 months ago I started getting valls from the world trade center health registry asking me to consent to a survey and questionaiire as to my health. I ended up not taking it as I didn't work there at the time of 9/11 or were near it. But they were pretty insistent when they called.

- Frind

ehnyah
07-23-2005, 07:02 AM
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6741

Inhaling toxic dust from the World Trade Center disaster on 11 September 2001 has damaged some rescue workers? lungs more than years of smoking, US scientists reveal. Using an unconventional chest scan for the circumstances, researchers were able to capture visual signs of the severe respiratory problems that doctors could not otherwise have diagnosed.

Hundreds of people have been tested and treated for respiratory problems - or ?World Trade Center cough? - since New York City?s twin towers fell, most of them suffering from asthma-like breathing difficulties. Some people, however, maintained persistent but unidentifiable coughs that could not be picked up using standard chest computed tomography (CT) scans.

?These people had symptoms that just didn?t fit the typical pattern. They weren?t treated at first because there wasn?t any objective evidence of what was wrong,? says lead author David Mendelson at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, US.

So Mendelson?s team turned to a technique called end-expiratory CT. In a normal chest scan, patients are asked to take a deep breath and hold it. In end-expiratory scans, patients take in a deep breath and release it slowly. In a healthy individual, the entire chest should be seen on the scan as an even grey colour ? the CT representation of moving air.

The doctors scanned 29 rescue and recovery workers with unexplained symptoms. In 25 of these they saw splotchy black patches deep down in the finer, branching tubes of their airways. Black spots mean that air is trapped and stagnating in the lungs, making it difficult for the patients to breathe freely.
Pulverised cement

In order to gauge the severity of the air-trapping pattern, the authors developed a visual scale that ranged from 0 to 24. Mendelson says that smokers would probably fall somewhere between 0 to 4 on his scale. The World Trade Center rescue workers, however, averaged 10.55.

The extent of air trapping was found to reflect the amount of time each worker was exposed to the dust and debris of the buildings? collapse.

The most likely culprit behind this type of airway disease is pulverised alkaline cement, says Mendelson, who presented his findings at the Radiological Society of North America?s meeting in Chicago on Tuesday. All of the subjects are now being treated with anti-inflammatory drugs.

Richard Russell, of the British Thoracic Society in London, UK, is not surprised by the degree of lung tissue damage caused by exposure to the fine cement dust, which is capable of penetrating deeply into the lungs and damaging the delicate tissues found there.

But he warns that the rescue workers? breathing problems might be permanent: "This is a physical problem that?s not going to go away with simple anti-inflammatories," he says. "We?ll just have to watch and see if the patients get better over time and make sure they?re not smoking."

http://media.portland.indymedia.org/images/2005/07/321380.jpg

Take a look at the hole bottom right.