View Full Version : Another Attack In London

07-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Incidents reported on London Underground
Three stations shut amid reports of an explosion, smoke


Updated: 8:31 a.m. ET July 21, 2005

LONDON - British police said Thursday that emergency services were responding to reports of incidents at three London Underground stations.

Incidents were reported at Oval, Warren Street, and Shepherds Bush stations, and the Metropolitan police said incidents were “ongoing.”

Separately, a spokesman for the transit system said there were no reports of casualties.

An eyewitness reported seeing a bag explode at one of the stations, Sky News reported. Other reports said that smoke was seen coming out of a train, a fire brigade spokeswoman told Reuters. The reports could not immediately be confirmed.

More than 50 people were killed two weeks ago when four bombs hit three underground trains and a red London double-decker bus.

The attacks have been blamed on four Muslims from Britain and police say they believe al-Qaida were behind them.

the Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

07-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Tube cleared after minor blasts


Dummy explosions using detonators only have sparked the evacuation of three Tube stations and the closure of three lines, a BBC correspondent has said.

Police cordoned off large areas around Warren Street, Oval and Shepherd's Bush Tube stations.

Emergency services also attended an incident on a route 26 bus in Hackney Road in Bethnal Green.

There were reports of smoke coming from two of the stations. There are no reports of any injuries.

The whole of the Northern Line has been suspended, along with the Victoria Line and the Hammersmith and City.

A spokesman for London Underground said the nature of the incidents was unknown.

One hospital, near Warren Street station, has started its emergency plan.

Sosiane Mohellavi, 35, was travelling from Oxford Circus to Walthamstow when she was evacuated from a train at Warren Street.

"I was in the carriage and we smelt smoke - it was like something was burning. "Everyone was panicked and people were screaming. We had to pull the alarm. I am still shaking."

But a BBC reporter outside Warren Street station said there was no sign of smoke outside.

07-21-2005, 09:02 AM
U.K. police investigate London 'incidents'
Three subway stations shut amid reports of explosions, smoke


Updated: 8:56 a.m. ET July 21, 2005

LONDON - Three London Underground stations were evacuated at midday Thursday following reports of incidents, British Transport Police said. The Fire Brigade was investigating a report of smoke at one station.

Police sources told Sky TV that suggestions pointed to some kinds of devices exploding in the stations or on trains, two weeks to the day after bomb attacks killed more than 50 people in the British capital.

An explosion was also reported on a bus in Hackney. Scotland Yard said that some sort of device could have been detonated on the bus, but could not confirm what the incident was, Sky News said.

Police said Warren Street, Shepherds Bush and Oval stations had been evacuated and that the rest of the Underground system was closing down. Emergency services personnel were called to the stations, police said.

London Underground said there were no immediate reports of casualties.

"People were panicking. But very fortunately the train was only 15 seconds from the station," witness Ivan McCracken told Sky news.

Smell of smoke
McCracken said another passenger had claimed he had seen a rucksack explode. The bombs which killed 56 people on three Underground trains and a bus in London on July 7 were carried in rucksacks, police said.

McCracken said he smelled smoke and that people were panicking and coming into his carriage.

Services on the Victoria and Northern lines were suspended following reports of a number of incidents, London Underground said.

"I was in the carriage and we smelt smoke - it was like something was burning," said Losiane Mohellavi, 35, who was evacuated at Warren Street.

"Everyone was panicked and people were screaming. We had to pull the alarm. I am still shaking," Mohellavi said.

the Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.