PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian Coral Reef 'Proof Of Global Warming'

Gold9472
07-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Tasmanian coral reef 'proof of global warming'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200507/s1415818.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200309/r9763_22682.jpg
Marine biologists are seeing signs of climate change in Tasmania.

7/17/2005

Scientists believe they have discovered proof that global warming has altered Tasmania's marine environment.

A group of biologists from the Tasmanian Aquaculture and Fisheries Institute has found a shallow reef extensively covered by coral at the Kent Group Marine Protected Area near Flinders Island off the north-east of Tasmania.

Coral reefs only survive in warmer waters and are usually found in tropical areas such as Queensland.

The senior biologist who discovered the reef, Neville Barrett, believes it is evidence that rising water temperatures are having an impact on the marine environment.

"A lot of these corals are occasionally found in very small clumps in Bass Strait," Dr Barrett said.

"It's exceptionally rare to find very extensive, pretty much 100 per cent cover areas of it south of Sydney, so it's something completely unexpected."

The CSIRO has noticed other changes, including the invasion of about 30 species of fish from warmer areas to Tasmanian waters.

CSIRO senior scientist Ron Thresher says local marine species are also moving further south.

"There's no doubt [there have been] major changes in the community and ecosystems down here because of these species coming down," Dr Thresher said.

There is also speculation the changes have contributed to the decline of Tasmania's kelp forests over the past few decades.

somebigguy
07-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Yes, but the bogus war on terror is more important than the environment I guess.

princesskittypoo
07-16-2005, 10:46 PM
but insn't the environment always changing?

somebigguy
07-16-2005, 10:51 PM
but insn't the environment always changing?
Yeah, but belching out gas fumes can't be good for any of us. As long as Bush ignores these problems, we're all in jeopardy.

princesskittypoo
07-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Yeah, but belching out gas fumes can't be good for any of us. As long as Bush ignores these problems, we're all in jeopardy.
i totally agree. i do my part by working at a crap job only 2 miles from home. see the sacrifices i've made for our economy :)

somebigguy
07-16-2005, 10:56 PM
i totally agree. i do my part by working at a crap job only 2 miles from home. see the sacrifices i've made for our economy :)
Yes, but you work for an evil empire...

princesskittypoo
07-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Yes, but you work for an evil empire...
true. you got me there. i'll just have to quit and become a bum like my grandfather. i'll ride the rails.

somebigguy
07-16-2005, 11:01 PM
true. you got me there. i'll just have to quit and become a bum like my grandfather. i'll ride the rails.
Just hook up with some rich Canadian in Alberta.

princesskittypoo
07-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Just hook up with some rich Canadian in Alberta.
wiat who would that be????

ThotPolice
07-16-2005, 11:08 PM
This is scary too.
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/83/i14/8314notw7.html