PDA

View Full Version : Continuous War from 1984

beltman713
07-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Interesting reading

Under this lies a fact never mentioned aloud, but tacitly understood and acted upon: namely, that the conditions of life in all three super-states are very much the same. In Oceania the prevailing philosophy is called Ingsoc, in Eurasia it is called Neo-Bolshevism, and in Eastasia it is called by a Chinese name usually translated as Death-Worship, but perhaps better rendered as Obliteration of the Self. The citizen of Oceania is not allowed to know anything of the tenets of the other two philosophies, but he is taught to execrate them as barbarous outrages upon morality and common sense. Actually the three philosophies are barely distinguishable, and the social systems which they support are not distinguishable at all. Everywhere there is the same pyramidal structure, the same worship of semi-divine leader, the same economy existing by and for continuous warfare. It follows that the three super-states not only cannot conquer one another, but would gain no advantage by doing so. On the contrary, so long as they remain in conflict they prop one another up, like three sheaves of corn. And, as usual, the ruling groups of all three powers are simultaneously aware and unaware of what they are doing. Their lives are dedicated to world conquest, but they also know that it is necessary that the war should continue everlastingly and without victory. Meanwhile the fact that there is no danger of conquest makes possible the denial of reality which is the special feature of Ingsoc and its rival systems of thought. Here it is necessary to repeat what has been said earlier, that by becoming continuous war has fundamentally changed its character.

The war, therefore, if we judge it by the standards of previous wars, is merely an imposture. It is like the battles between certain ruminant animals whose horns are set at such an angle that they are incapable of hurting one another. But though it is unreal it is not meaningless. It eats up the surplus of consumable goods, and it helps to preserve the special mental atmosphere that a hierarchical society needs. War, it will be seen, is now a purely internal affair. In the past, the ruling groups of all countries, although they might recognize their common interest and therefore limit the destructiveness of war, did fight against one another, and the victor always plundered the vanquished. In our own day they are not fighting against one another at all. The war is waged by each ruling group against its own subjects, and the object of the war is not to make or prevent conquests of territory, but to keep the structure of society intact. The very word 'war', therefore, has become misleading. It would probably be accurate to say that by becoming continuous, war has ceased to exist. The peculiar pressure that it exerted on human beings between the Neolithic Age and the early twentieth century has disappeared and been replaced by something quite different. The effect would be much the same if the three super-states, instead of fighting one another, should agree to live in perpetual peace, each inviolate within its own boundaries. For in that case each would still be a self-contained universe, freed for ever from the sobering influence of external danger. A peace that was truly permanent would be the same as a permanent war. This -- although the vast majority of Party members understand it only in a shallower sense -- is the inner meaning of the Party slogan: War is Peace.

Gold9472
07-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Did you transcribe that from the book?

beltman713
07-16-2005, 09:07 PM
From the online book.

somebigguy
07-16-2005, 09:08 PM
For those of us that are too stupid/lazy to read the book, such as myself, here is a short movie that sums up the book:

http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/1984.html

BTW, check out the knockers on that chick!!!

beltman713
07-16-2005, 09:10 PM
That was gay, except for the knockers.

ThotPolice
07-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Lies are truth, and whats the other one?

Gold9472
07-16-2005, 09:12 PM

They were some pretty nice knockers I must say.

princesskittypoo
07-16-2005, 09:13 PM
i can't believe i bought the book. i haven't started reading it but if it has language such as what is written above i will never get through it. i have a hard time sometimes fallowing things that are written on this bb from the news. i may not be able to read it and fallow it and get the correct meanings out of it.

ThotPolice
07-16-2005, 09:21 PM

The british movie made about the book was gay to.

ThotPolice
07-16-2005, 09:22 PM
i can't believe i bought the book. i haven't started reading it but if it has language such as what is written above i will never get through it. i have a hard time sometimes fallowing things that are written on this bb from the news. i may not be able to read it and fallow it and get the correct meanings out of it.

you will get used to it, Its actually a good love story too.

somebigguy
07-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah, it would be tough to get through, I remember having to read it in high school, it was almost as bad as that Shakespeare shit.

911=Inside Job loves it though. There's probably a movie out there somewhere...

princesskittypoo
07-16-2005, 09:24 PM
you will get used to it, Its actually a good love story too.
ok is this one of those times where truth is lies and lies are truth?? like i'm suppose to enjoy it now cause it's a love story cause i'm a girl?

somebigguy
07-16-2005, 09:26 PM
ok is this one of those times where truth is lies and lies are truth?? like i'm suppose to enjoy it now cause it's a love story cause i'm a girl?
Yeah, you know how us guys like to butter you girls up with a nice love story before we try to get into your pants.

princesskittypoo
07-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeah, you know how us guys like to butter you girls up with a nice love story before we try to get into your pants.
hahhahah i need some more butter then.

beltman713
07-16-2005, 09:58 PM
How about some muffin butter?

ThotPolice
07-16-2005, 10:13 PM

Its a good political/love/human condition, story What you don't like love stories.

Bitter heart?:confused1

princesskittypoo
07-16-2005, 10:17 PM
How about some muffin butter?
lol ok. never eaten a muffin do they take different butter?

princesskittypoo
07-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Its a good political/love/human condition, story What you don't like love stories.

Bitter heart?:confused1
all the love stories i've been involved with have been bitter. sorry. didn't mean to sound muffi towards you.

beltman713
07-16-2005, 10:36 PM
lol ok. never eaten a muffin do they take different butter?
Yes, they take a special butter that involves a lot of churning to produce.