PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Q&A From Scott McLellan's Press Briefing

Gold9472
06-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Interesting Q&A From Scott McLellan's Press Briefing

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/06/20050627-3.html

Question: Scott, could you talk a little bit more about the nature of the enemy? And what I'm specifically wondering about is, it seems that a significant percentage of the terrorists involved in the violence in Iraq are not Iraqis. And I'm wondering if you can say whether the non-Iraqi percentage is going up? And if that's a concern, if that's the case, is there anything more the United States can do to stop the flow of those people into Iraq?

MR. McCLELLAN: That's a good question. I think this is some of what you're going to hear more from the President tomorrow night. The President will talk about -- as General Abizaid pointed out in testimony last week to Congress -- the growing number of foreign terrorists that are coming into Iraq. That's why I said that the terrorists have chosen to make Iraq a central front in the war on terrorism. They recognize what is at stake here: their survival is at stake, because a free Iraq will help send a message to the rest of the Middle East and those people in the Middle East who seek greater freedom. It will be a powerful force for transforming a dangerous region in the world. And we've got to continue to work to train and equip Iraqi security forces so they can ultimately defeat the insurgency.

And we'll continue to take the fight to the enemy. That's why we're fighting them in Iraq, and we're not fighting them here at home. We're fighting them in Iraq so that we can defeat them abroad, so we don't have to fight them here at home. That's one of the lessons of September 11th, is that we must take the fight to the enemy, and that's exactly what this President has done and will continue to do. And we recognize how high the stakes are in Iraq, and we will succeed.

Gold9472
06-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Ok...

1) The terrorists did not choose to make Iraq the "Central Front In The War On Terrorism". We did. Pre-emptively I might add.

2) How can you say the terrorists chose to make Iraq the "Central Front In The War On Terrorism", and then 5 sentences later say that "We're fighting them in Iraq so we can defeat them abroad"? Isn't that saying WE decided to fight them in Iraq? That WE chose to make Iraq the "Central Front In The War On Terrorism"? That WE chose to do so, so that "we don't have to fight them here at home."?

Although I do agree that it makes sense to fight our enemy elsewhere, to save civilian lives, I have to ask, who is our enemy? Is it people like Scott McLellan who lie to us on a daily basis? Who lie to us so that we DO invade Iraq? Or, is it people fighting against the AGGRESSIVE, war-mongering United States (which is what we have become)?

911=inside job
06-28-2005, 01:17 PM
gold, why cant you understand that there are terrorist out the that want to kill us????

Gold9472
06-28-2005, 01:22 PM
gold, why cant you understand that there are terrorist out the that want to kill us????

There are more now than before the invasion of Iraq.

911=inside job
06-28-2005, 01:44 PM
ya but gold its better to fight them there then to fight them here.... why dont you understand this???

Gold9472
06-28-2005, 01:49 PM
ya but gold its better to fight them there then to fight them here.... why dont you understand this???

We weren't fighting anybody until we invaded Afghanistan and Iraq. And there wasn't a need to fight ANYBODY until 9/11 took place... oh wait... duh.

dz
06-28-2005, 01:53 PM
any guesses on what bush will talk about tonight?

i am starting to wonder if part of tonights speech will not be a direct attack on democrats..

although he is a uniter and not a divider..

Gold9472
06-28-2005, 02:03 PM
any guesses on what bush will talk about tonight?

i am starting to wonder if part of tonights speech will not be a direct attack on democrats..

although he is a uniter and not a divider..

Here's what I think he'll say... not verbatim, mind you, but this will be the gist of it...

The attacks of September 11th, reminded us that there is tyranny in the world. That the strong like to attack the weak. We are fighting that tyranny in Iraq. We need to show the people of the world that democracy can exist, and that it is a better way of life... We need to continue to spread freedom and democracy in the world to help prevent the kind of atrocity that took place on September 11th. There are a great many goods that have taken place in Iraq since June of last year. The Iraqis have elected an interim Government. The Iraqis are learning how to protect themselves, and their security force is growing every day. They are learning that Freedom and Democracy does not come easy, but it is a worthwhile cause. No one understands better than Americans the price of Freedom. What we do today will affect our lives for a long time to come. Let us not turn our backs on the Iraqis when they need us most. God Bless You, God Bless America.

911=inside job
06-28-2005, 02:22 PM
gold i hope you know i was kidding....

Gold9472
06-28-2005, 02:31 PM
yes

beltman713
06-28-2005, 03:49 PM
We are fighting terrorists abroad and ignoring the ones here at home. You can bet there are plenty of them here too.