PDA

View Full Version : It's Official--Cruise and Holmes engaged

Skitch76
06-17-2005, 07:58 PM
...and in true Hollywood fasion too: after just 2 months of dating... [--CD]

Tom Cruise Proposes to Katie Holmes
Jun 17, 7:25 AM EST

The Associated Press

PARIS -- Tom Cruise popped the question to Katie Holmes at the Eiffel Tower early Friday and then announced the news to the world — they're getting married.

Cruise turned to Holmes: "What did you say, darling? She said, 'Yes.' ... I've never actually been to the Eiffel Tower and I just, it's Paris, you know. It's beautiful, a beautiful city. It's very romantic. I'm excited to be here."

No wedding date has been set, Cruise said. "We haven't discussed that — one step at a time."

The couple, who went public with their romance in April, often shared smiles and blushes as Cruise turned to look at Holmes, who was seated nearby. The 26-year-old actress, who was wearing a massive diamond ring on her finger, didn't speak to reporters.

"Today is a magnificent day for me, I'm engaged to a magnificent woman," the 42-year-old Cruise said.

"It was early this morning at the Eiffel Tower, so I haven't slept at all."

At one point, he whispered to Holmes: "Are you OK?" Afterward, they hurried into a car before leaving for a promotional event in Marseilles, southern France.

Cruise was in Paris to promote the French release of "War of the Worlds" next month. Holmes was in London earlier this week to publicize her new movie, "Batman Begins." Both actors have dismissed speculation their romance is a publicity stunt.

"I wish them the happiest marriage that anyone has ever had," said 11-year-old Dakota Fanning, who sat next to Holmes during the news conference. Fanning is Cruise's co-star in the Steven Spielberg film.

It would be the third marriage for Cruise and the first for Holmes. He was married to Mimi Rogers and Nicole Kidman; Holmes had been engaged to actor Chris Klein.

Holmes has said she's embracing the Church of Scientology — Cruise's religion. The former star of television's "Dawson's Creek" has said she grew up wanting to marry Cruise.

Related story:
Holmes Converting to Scientology
Jun 13, 12:06 PM EST

The Associated Press

LONDON -- Katie Holmes says she's converting to the Church of Scientology, embracing the religion of her boyfriend, Tom Cruise.

Holmes, in London to promote her new film, "Batman Begins," said Monday that she's excited about her lessons in Scientology, a religion founded by science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard.

The 26-year-old actress and Cruise went public with their romantic relationship in April. The former Catholic and star of television's "Dawson's Creek" grew up with a poster of Cruise on her bedroom wall and has said she grew up wanting to marry him.

"We all keep dreaming, and luckily, dreams come true," Holmes said.

Cruise was in Tokyo Monday for the premiere of his new film, "War of the Worlds."

In an interview in the June 17 issue of Entertainment Weekly, the 42-year-old actor was asked if Holmes is curious about Scientology.

"Yeah, absolutely. She digs it," he tells the magazine.

In response to a question about whether he'd asked Holmes not to do "Factory Girl" — about Edie Sedgwick and Andy Warhol — because of the drug use in the movie, Cruise says: "I don't even know what `Factory Girl' is."

He adds: "Listen, the thing you've got to know about Katie is that she's an incredibly bright and self-determined woman. She makes her own decisions."

Cruise was previously married to Mimi Rogers and Nicole Kidman, and dated Penelope Cruz for several years.

Holmes and actor Chris Klein recently called off their engagement, after dating for five years.

When asked by Entertainment Weekly if he plans to propose to Holmes, Cruise replies: "It's gonna happen, man. It'll happen."

princesskittypoo
06-17-2005, 10:08 PM
i need to find out more about scientology... i hear about people turning to it all the time and know absolutely nothing about it.

beltman713
06-17-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm surprised he isn't marrying himself.