PDA

View Full Version : Who Discovered America?

Gold9472
06-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Who Discovered America?

Everyone recognizes that many people were in America long before Columbus. The Asiatic peoples who became Native Americans were certainly the first, tens of thousands of years ago. Also Norse expeditions to North America, starting with Bjarni Herjolfsson in 986, are well established historically. Many other pre-Columbian discoveries are not well established: claims have been made for St. Brendan, Basque fishermen, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, and even Carthaginians. Some of these claims may be true; most are probably not.

In spite of this, Columbus's discovery (or re-discovery, if you prefer) is rightly regarded as the most historically important, and will continue to be. That is because, unlike the others, Columbus inaugurated permanent large-scale two-way commerce between the Old World and the New. Previous discoveries were so little known that even the best educated Europeans were unaware of the existence of America prior to Columbus. The "Admiral of the Ocean Sea," unlike any of his predecessors, changed the world.

Now think about this. We've always been told that Christopher Columbus discovered America. Even in school, our teachers would tell us that Christopher Columbus discovered America. We were also told that JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald. Both of which are nothing more than LIES to benefit the Government.

Now ask yourself this.... What do you think you know, and what do you think you REALLY know?

princesskittypoo
06-15-2005, 06:34 PM
the chinesse did....
at least that's the last i heard... before them i heard it was vikings and before that christopher columbus but that was in my 1st grade... they were just trying to make it simple back then.

princesskittypoo
06-15-2005, 06:36 PM
i freely admit i know nothing.

somebigguy
06-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Amerigo Vespucci.

danceyogamom
06-16-2005, 01:08 AM
Who Discovered America?

Everyone recognizes that many people were in America long before Columbus. The Asiatic peoples who became Native Americans were certainly the first, tens of thousands of years ago. Also Norse expeditions to North America, starting with Bjarni Herjolfsson in 986, are well established historically. Many other pre-Columbian discoveries are not well established: claims have been made for St. Brendan, Basque fishermen, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, and even Carthaginians. Some of these claims may be true; most are probably not.

In spite of this, Columbus's discovery (or re-discovery, if you prefer) is rightly regarded as the most historically important, and will continue to be. That is because, unlike the others, Columbus inaugurated permanent large-scale two-way commerce between the Old World and the New. Previous discoveries were so little known that even the best educated Europeans were unaware of the existence of America prior to Columbus. The "Admiral of the Ocean Sea," unlike any of his predecessors, changed the world.

Now think about this. We've always been told that Christopher Columbus discovered America. Even in school, our teachers would tell us that Christopher Columbus discovered America. We were also told that JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald. Both of which are nothing more than LIES to benefit the Government.

Now ask yourself this.... What do you think you know, and what do you think you REALLY know?

we're also taught that betsy ross sewed the flag and paul revere rode ...

lightening
06-17-2005, 01:10 AM
we're also taught that betsy ross sewed the flag and paul revere rode ...
i watched jay leno last night and they had questions about flag day... no one knew about betsy ross sewing the first american flag. and some nitwit said the first american flag had 13 stars and 40 stripes.

danceyogamom
06-17-2005, 08:51 AM
i watched jay leno last night and they had questions about flag day... no one knew about betsy ross sewing the first american flag. and some nitwit said the first american flag had 13 stars and 40 stripes.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ... I must admit I think Jay Leno's questions to the guy on the street are pretty funny.