PDA

View Full Version : Parents accused of neglecting ill daughter

pcteaser
06-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Parents accused of neglecting ill daughter
Welfare officials seize 12-year-old from parents

The Associated Press
Updated: 1:22 p.m. ET June 9, 2005

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Child welfare officials seized a 12-year-old cancer patient from her parents, saying they were blocking radiation treatment that doctors say she needs.

During a court hearing Wednesday, Michele and Edward Wernecke asked juvenile court Judge Carl Lewis to bar doctors from providing radiation therapy for daughter Katie, who is now in a Houston hospital, until a hearing next week to determine whether she will stay in state custody.

They say their daughter's cancer is in remission and they object to her getting the radiation treatment after undergoing a round of chemotherapy.

The judge said he would rule on the request Friday.

Last week, authorities issued an Amber Alert to gain temporary custody of Katie after receiving an anonymous tip about possible neglect. She was found with her mother at a family ranch, about 80 miles west of Corpus Christi near Freer, on Saturday.

She remains at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, where she is undergoing tests, officials said. State Child Protective Services says her life could be in danger without further cancer treatment.

Michele Wernecke was arrested on charges of interfering with child custody and was released Monday after posting $50,000 bond.

The Werneckes' three sons were placed in a foster home.

‘Her cancer is not standard’
Speaking Thursday on NBC's "Today" show, Michele Wernecke said her daughter's illness is unique and should be treated as such.

"I think they should treat her for what her body calls for and not standard protocol. Nobody will look at that," she said. "Not every cancer is the same. Nobody understands that. Her body is not standard, and her cancer is not standard."

The couple, members of the Church of God, have said they oppose blood transfusions unless they were from Katie's mother. But the couple's attorney, Daniel Horne, said religion wasn't at issue in the fight over cancer treatment.

Rather, they believe doctors haven't been upfront about Katie's care and have not answered all their questions about the side effects of the radiation.

"This issue is about parental rights, not about religious rights," Horne said. "They just want to be informed of her treatment. They want to be involved in this."

Katie was diagnosed with cancer in January. In a videotaped statement recorded by her parents, Katie said she's feeling better.

"I don't need radiation treatment. And nobody asked me what I wanted. It's my body," she said.

Officials on Wednesday reached an agreement to let Edward Wernecke and the couple's sons visit Katie on Friday, the day before her 13th birthday.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8158626/

pcteaser
06-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Welcome to America... land of the free.

With the multitude of child abuse cases running rampant in this country, why is the state interfering in what is obviously a family decision. These parents seem to care about their daughter, and yet some "anonymous tip" results in them having her taken away and their other children stuck in foster homes.

Such a load of bullshit!

pcteaser
06-09-2005, 01:35 PM
More...

Kerry Sanders
NBC News

A 12-year old Texas native who is battling Hodgkin’s disease is also celebrating the success of the first part of her cancer treatments.

“I have been fine for two months since the last chemo treatment”

Now doctors say she needs radiation, but Katie and her parents say, enough.

Her father Edward Wernecke says, “If the cancer is not active right now and growing, there's no evidence that it's actually alive even, from the last report 30-days ago, why are we going to do this barbaric treatment which will injure and damage her."

Katie herself in a statement recorded by her parents says, “I am gaining weight and my hair is coming back. I feel great. I don't need radiation treatment and nobody asked me what I wanted. It's my body.

Texas child protective services says she’s in no position to decide what she wants and they’ve taken Katie into custody.

“This is a life threatening illness and she could die if she doesn’t get this treatment,” said Darrell Azar of Texas Child Protection Services.

Who gets to decide what is good for Katie?

Her parents say this is an issue of parental rights, but Texas state officials say those rights do not include the right to gamble with Katie’s life.

“We're trying to protect Katie. She's my only girl. I love her and I don't want this for her,” Katie’s father said.

But the government has a different view, “It’s always difficult and it’s upsetting when the government has to get involved in the inner-workings of a family. And we understand the family being upset, but our position is that we have to protect the well being of the child, and their interest comes first.

A Texas judge issued an order preventing the state of Texas from beginning radiation without first analyzing a new scan of Katie’s chest.

That scan is now scheduled for Friday.

911=inside job
06-09-2005, 02:26 PM
this is such shit!!!!! this makes me so mad!!!!!

Simply_sexy
06-09-2005, 02:50 PM
this is such shit!!!!! this makes me so mad!!!!!
Ditto!

princesskittypoo
06-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Welcome to America... land of the free.

With the multitude of child abuse cases running rampant in this country, why is the state interfering in what is obviously a family decision. These parents seem to care about their daughter, and yet some "anonymous tip" results in them having her taken away and their other children stuck in foster homes.

Such a load of bullshit!
that's all that's needed in this country to get the officials involved in your family life... an annonymous tip.

Giggles
06-09-2005, 04:44 PM
I agree with all of you. It is very sad, hopping my child will never be in her situation or me for that matter.