PDA

View Full Version : Local Family Of 9/11 Victim Heads To Guantanamo

Gold9472
07-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Local family of 9-11 victim heads to Guantanamo Bay

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6901346

LOWER MAKEFIELD, Pa.  July 6, 2009 (WPVI) -- Military tribunals begin next week for a number of suspected terrorists who are being held at Guantanamo Bay. And several families of September 11th victims applied through a lottery system to witness the proceedings.

"I think it's going to be hard on me, I really do. But I know that I have to go so I'm going," said Gary Reiss.

The Reiss family of Lower Makefield, Bucks County is still not the same nearly eight years after their 23-year-old son, Joshua, was killed in the World Trade Center attacks.

But next week, they will at least gain the sense that the wheels of justice are moving.

The federal government has invited them to witness the military tribunal of selected 9-11 suspects, at Guantanamo Bay.

They leave a week from tomorrow.

"It's emotional you really see why they don't care about themselves or their lives um they have another agenda," said Judy Reiss.

The Reiss' will also tour the prison at the base.

They have not been told which detainees they will see in court.

"From what we understand there is a glass partition so that we can see all of the proceedings, the glass partition is really there for our protection," Judy said.

Joshua Reiss was a promising international bond trader at Cantor-Fitzgerald. He was working on the 105th floor when the plane hit the north tower. His parents hope to draw strength from his memory, during their trip.

"I think I cry everyday but by myself because I don't know I don't want to upset my kids I don't want to upset my wife," Gary said.

Judy and Gary Reiss return home on July 17th. But their fight to gain answers to their many questions about 911 continues. They remain part of a lawsuit that seeks civil damages from individuals from other countries including people from Saudia Arabia and Pakistan.