PDA

View Full Version : Former FBI Whistle-Blower May Run For Congress

Gold9472
05-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Former FBI 9/11 Whistle-Blower May Run for Congress

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 03:28 PM
By FREDERIC J. FROMMER, AP

WASHINGTON (May 24) - A former FBI whistle-blower who urged the agency to investigate terrorism suspect Zacarias Moussaoui in the weeks before Sept. 11, 2001, is considering a race for Congress in Minnesota.

Coleen Rowley told The Associated Press on Monday she will make a decision by early next month on whether to run as a Democrat against incumbent GOP Rep. John Kline in next year's election. Rowley, who retired from the FBI last year, said she's spoken to people to get their input, both inside and outside of politics, but has been put off by some suggestions that she get a ''makeover.''

''I've butted heads with a few people - anyone who tells me I have to spruce up my hair and buy a new wardrobe,'' Rowley said, declining to identify the source of this unwanted advice. ''I haven't worn makeup since I was 21. You have to be authentic and genuine in serving the populace.''

Rowley was named one of Time magazine's people of the year for 2002 after criticizing the agency for ignoring her pleas to investigate Moussaoui more aggressively. He was the only person charged in the United States in the attacks.

Rowley said she would run as an ''independent-minded Democrat,'' focusing on issues such as international security and civil liberties.

The Kline campaign said in a statement that it was too early to speculate about the race, and that Kline is focusing on congressional business.

AP-NY-05-24-05 1048EDT

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press.