PDA

View Full Version : Asheville woman charged in death of 8-year-old son

beltman713
05-23-2005, 08:20 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050523/NEWS01/50523002/1001

Asheville woman charged in death of 8-year-old son
Authorites say boy kept in trunk for hours

By Clarke Morrison
STAFF WRITER
published: May 23, 2005 11:00 am

SYLVA – An Asheville woman is in the Jackson County Jail on murder and child abuse charges after authorities said she kept her 8-year-old son in the trunk of her car for more than 16 hours.

It appears that the death of Devon Miles Gibson was heat related, Sheriff Jimmy Ashe said. An autopsy is being performed today.

Michelle Joyce Gibson, 36, of the Woodcroft Apartments on Coleman Avenue, was charged this morning with second-degree murder, voluntary manslaughter and two counts of felony child abuse.

It appears the boy was kept in the car because of “a baby sitting issue,” Ashe said.

“The indications through the interviews was the child was left in the automobile in the trunk area exceeding 16 hours,” he said. “It’s an unacceptable child abuse that led to the death of an 8-year-old child.”

The sheriff said the boy apparently was kept in the trunk of his mother’s car while she worked Sunday at Mountain Trace Nursing Center in the Little Savannah community of Jackson County. The child also was in the trunk at least part of the day Saturday as the mother worked at the center as a certified nursing assistant.

Jackson County 911 received a call about 5:32 p.m. Sunday from an employee of the nursing center reporting the possible death of the child, Ashe said. By that time Gibson was on her way back to her north Asheville home.

Asheville officers were alerted and arrived at the apartment complex about 6:30 p.m. and found Gibson and the boy in the back seat of the car in the parking lot, said Capt. Sarah Benson of the Asheville Police Department.

The investigation was turned over to Jackson County authorities because it’s believed that the death occurred in that county.

Gibson is jailed under a $100,000 bond.

princesskittypoo
05-23-2005, 08:37 PM
ok i realize some people can't afford baby sitters but at my job, and it's not too great, they allow the workers to bring the kids in so long as they sit quietly and do not bother the associates and customers.

pcteaser
05-24-2005, 12:16 AM
I will never understand the mentality that allows this to happen time and again. My children are the most precious beings in the world to me. What drives a mother to treat her child like that?

danceyogamom
05-24-2005, 09:04 AM
I will never understand the mentality that allows this to happen time and again. My children are the most precious beings in the world to me. What drives a mother to treat her child like that?

there are lots of people out there who have no business being parents. they don't have it in them ... you have to be grown up to be a parent. you can't be selfish, self centered which is where I think a lot of the neglectful type abuses come from.

Kids are hard work, and parents who don't want to bother or are too self centered to grow up themselves can't give their children the effort they require.

Simply_sexy
05-25-2005, 12:16 AM
*gasp* That's horrid!!!