PDA

View Full Version : "Rescue Me" To Have 9/11 Plot

Gold9472
12-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Last Night: Denis Leary Reveals New 'Rescue Me' Plot and Reminds us 'Why We Suck' @ Book Soup

http://blogs.laweekly.com/ladaily/hollywood/last-night-denis-leary-reveals/

by Erin Broadley
12/2/2008

Let's get something straight -- Denis Leary is not one for conspiracy theories. However, last night at Book Soup to sign copies of his new book Why We Suck, the actor dropped plot details about the upcoming season of his hit series Rescue Me. Possibly an exclusive, what Leary disclosed is sure to rev up the 9/11 truth seekers who religiously TiVo the New York-based firefighter drama to see what post-traumatic, survivor's guilt head-space Leary's character will tailspin into next.

When asked by a hesitant fan as to whether or not the actor thought there should be a reinvestigation into the events leading up to and surrounding the 9/11 tragedy, Leary's eyes lit up as he revealed that conspiracy and reinvestigation into 9/11 are, in fact, major plot lines in the first 10 episodes of Rescue Me season 5, set to premiere in April 2009 for a 22-episode run on FX.

But when another fan pushed it too far and asked Leary's opinion about the conspiracy surrounding Building 7's collapse, the actor and author was quick with his response. "You guys don't want to get into that with me," Leary said, suddenly serious as he explained that he "knew several of the guys who had been there working to hold that building up." Leary then paused, politely changed the subject and returned to meeting fans.

Stationed between shelves of books about Peter Pan, Dr. Seuss, moon landings and rock gods, Leary was talkative and full of witty banter as he personalized copies of his new book for each of the hundred-plus fans that waited in line. Described as "part memoir, part self-help tome but definitely a full-time funny assault on all the posers, politicians and pop culture icons who have sucked in public for far to long," Why We Suck is a call to arms for a society that seems to have lost its ability to laugh at itself.

As was evident last night, Leary keeps his self-deprecating humor firmly intact and fans love him for it. Leary made every moment with the crowd count, whether it was admitting his huge crush on his first creative writing teacher ("I couldn't forget her... she was the first person I heard say that spelling had nothing to do with being a good writer") or joking about his book as a holiday gift ("They're coasters, I'm not kidding you") or reminiscing about his earlier movies like The Ref ("Greatest Christmas movie ever made").