PDA

View Full Version : Presentation Raises Questions About 9/11 Attacks

Gold9472
09-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Presentation raises questions about 9/11 attacks

http://media.www.thejackonline.org/media/storage/paper1142/news/2008/09/17/Features/Presentation.Raises.Questions.About.911.Attacks-3429607.shtml

Lye Landau
Issue date: 9/17/08 Section: Features

It took singer-songwriter Jesse Goplen almost a year of research before he believed that the U.S. government carried out the September 11 attacks. "There's so much disinformation, it's hard to figure out what's real," he said.

Goplen performed at 9/11: Fast Track to Fascism last Thursday, the seventh anniversary of the attacks. He used his blend of acoustic blues and old-time country music to show his feelings about the alleged conspiracy in his song "Controlled Demolition." "It's up to me and you//to find out what went wrong//to find out what is true," Goplen sang.

Some of the songs Goplen played were about using your own judgment and research to find the truth in today's world. "I do talk a lot about 9/11 in my music right now, but I haven't always and hopefully my next album will be a sort of 9/12, getting beyond it," he said.

Goplen played pieces on different topics as well, including his current home, in "Humboldt County Rainbow." The independent artist is originally from Wisconsin, but after going to Germany and developing ideas about personal freedom, he came to Humboldt. Goplen now says he could never leave "the most beautiful place on earth."

Goplen covered songs by artists such as Willie Nelson and Reverend Gary Davis in addition to his original music.

The 9/11 Truth Club presented Fast Track to Fascism. It focused on holding those the club views as responsible for the tragedy accountable. Proceeds from the night were donated to the families of 9/11 victims.

During opening remarks, the 9/11 Truth Club highlighted how policies designed to protect us, such as the Patriot Act, take away our freedoms and violate our right to privacy. Then the club presented caricatures representing members of the Bush Administration. Some of the comics insinuated that they were directly responsible for the September 11th attacks, while others compared them to Nazis.

The final portion of the presentation was a screening of Jason Bermas's "Fabled Enemies." This film depicts the search for Osama Bin Laden as a scheme to scare the American people into supporting war in Iraq and Afghanistan. "Fabled Enemies" proposes that Bin Laden was a scapegoat and had no connection to the attacks.

A.S. Student Affairs Vice President Gabe Shames said he suggested that the 9/11 Truth Club hold an event on the anniversary. He said he understands why people resist the idea of being manipulated by their government. "I've seen some videos [about the conspiracy] that are just as baseless as the mainstream media's story," said Shames. Shames wanted a forum for people to weigh their personal research against the official report. Once people start talking, Shames said, they would probably agree that there is deception in the media.

Josh Roberts, an Arcata resident and a member of the 9/11 Truth Club, helped organize Fast Track to Fascism. He hopes the presentation brought awareness of dissent.

"Listen to everybody. Read everything. Believe absolutely nothing unless you can prove it with your own research."