PDA

View Full Version : Palin: War With Russia May Be Needed

Gold9472
09-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Palin: War with Russia may be needed

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Palin_tells_ABC_War_with_Russia_0911.html

Mike Sheehan
Published: Thursday September 11, 2008

McCain running mate Sarah Palin's first press interview since accepting her VP nod had ABC's Charlie Gibson asking her about the recent Russia-Georgia fracas and to clarify her assertion in June that the Iraq war was a "task" from God.

ABC released early excerpts of the interview. Among the early highlights:

* Palin says she immediately accepted the VP offer from Sen. McCain, despite misgivings Gibson suggested she might have. "I didn't hesitate," she said. "I answered him yes because I have the confidence in that readiness and knowing that you can't blink, you have to be wired in a way of being so committed to the mission, the mission that we're on, reform of this country and victory in the war, you can't blink. So I didn't blink then even when asked to run as his running mate."

* Asked about the "task from God" statement, Palin at first claimed the quote wasn't exact, but Gibson confirmed it. He then asked, "Are we fighting a holy war?" Palin then claimed that she was repeated "Abraham Lincoln's words" and further explained, "I would never presume to know God's will or to speak God's words. ... I believe that there is a plan for this world and that plan for this world is for good. I believe that there is great hope and great potential for every country to be able to live and be protected with inalienable rights that I believe are God-given ... and I believe that those are the rights to life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That, in my world view, is a grand -- the grand plan."

* Gibson pressed, asking her if she was sending her son, who is deploying to Iraq, on a task that is from God. Replied Palin, "I don't know if the task is from God. ... What I know is that my son has made a decision. I am so proud of his independent and strong decision he has made, what he decided to do and serving for the right reasons and serving something greater than himself and not choosing a real easy path where he could be more comfortable and certainly safer."

* Gibson then brought up Russia's recent invasion of Georgia, an act roundly condemned by the Bush administration and by McCain himself. He asked Gibson if the US would be compelled to answer militarily under the NATO treaty if Russia again invaded Georgia. Palin answered, "Perhaps so. I mean, that is the agreement when you are a NATO ally, is if another country is attacked, you're going to be expected to be called upon and help."

* Expanding on her answer, Palin said, "[W]e've got to keep an eye on Russia. For Russia to have exerted such pressure in terms of invading a smaller democratic country, unprovoked, is unacceptable."

The full interview will air on ABC this evening.

Video At Source