PDA

View Full Version : Rice Calls For Patience In Iraq

Gold9472
05-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Rice calls for patience in Iraq
Ms Rice kicked off her Iraq visit in the northern town of Irbil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4548393.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41148000/jpg/_41148209_helmet_afp203index.jpg

(Gold9472: The ONLY reason I posted this story is because of that ridiculous picture of Rice suited up.)

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has called for patience in Iraq as she made a surprise visit to the country.

"Iraq is emerging from a long national nightmare of tyranny into freedom," she told a news conference in Baghdad.

Ms Rice made the unpublicised visit for talks with Iraq's new government on how to combat the ongoing insurgency.

Ms Rice insisted Iraq's security forces were making progress, but she arrived as the bodies of 34 people, some beheaded, were discovered.

In other developments:

Insurgents freed Raja Nawaf, governor of the western province of Anbar, who was kidnapped on Tuesday

Sheik Qassim al-Gharawi, an aide to Iraq's top Shia cleric, Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, was shot dead along with his nephew in Baghdad

Four people were killed and at least 15 were injured when two suicide bombers attacked the convoy of Raed Rashid, governor of Diyala province, in the town of Baquba northeast of Baghdad. He escaped unharmed

Gunmen opened fire on a senior industry ministry official as he travelled through the Gazaliya district, in Baghdad, killing him and his driver.
Constitution concerns

Ms Rice said the insurgency could be beaten if Iraqis were offered a "strong political alternative", that a political process, as much as military means, would play its part in defeating the militants.

But she said she was concerned that Sunni Muslims were not taking a full part in that process, and had only token representation on a committee set up to draft a new constitution.

Ms Rice added that the security forces in Iraq were "fighting a tough set of terrorists" and that the US military "will remain active in Iraq until Iraq can defend itself".

Vote of support

Addressing a news conference in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone, with Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim Jaafari at her side, Ms Rice expressed support for the new Iraqi government, which was finally formed at the end of April - three months after the election.

"I have great confidence in the leadership that the Iraqi leaders have shown and in the dedication of the Iraqi people", she said.

"Things do not happen overnight," Ms Rice said, reminding people that Iraq had been sovereign for less than a year, and the fledgling government had only been formed in recent weeks.

"It's very hard what the Iraqis are being asked to do which is cast off years and years of tyranny and dictatorship and come to political unity in what is a very complicated place."

Ms Rice is the first senior US figure to visit Iraq since the government was formed. It is also her first visit to Iraq since being promoted to secretary of state earlier this year.

Utmost secrecy

To ensure security, only a handful of state departments knew and Mr Jaafari was only told of the plan on Friday.

Even the pilot flying Ms Rice's plane was not informed who his passenger was until she was safely on board, senior state department adviser Jim Wilkinson said.

Ms Rice's first stop was the city of Irbil in the Kurdish north, where she donned body armour to fly by helicopter for a meeting with Kurdish leader Massoud Barzani, before heading south to Baghdad.

There Ms Rice addressed US troops and embassy employees, praising their commitment to Iraq.

"We are so grateful that there are Americans willing to sacrifice so the Middle East will be whole, and free and democratic and at peace," she said.

Bodies dumped

Meanwhile Iraqi authorities said they had discovered 34 bodies over the weekend.

They included 13 men dumped in a shallow grave in Baghdad's impoverished Sadr City, each with their hands tied behind their back and at least three bullet wounds to the head.

Eleven other corpses were found in Iskandariya, just south of Baghdad. Four had been beheaded, and at least three were Iraqi soldiers, police said.

And 10 Iraqi soldiers were found dead in the western city of Ramadi on Saturday, the defence ministry said.

More than 400 people have been killed in militant attacks since Iraq's democratically elected government was announced at the end of April.

Gold9472
05-15-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm not willing cunt.

Hobbes
05-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Dr. Rice is a great woman. I don't think it will be to long before someone taps her for running mate.

A McCain/Rice ticket in 2008 would be great. She would also make a great President someday I believe.

Gold9472
05-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Dr. Rice is a great woman. I don't think it will be to long before someone taps her for running mate.

A McCain/Rice ticket in 2008 would be great. She would also make a great President someday I believe.

She commited perjury at the 9/11 Commission. She lied about about Iraq in regards to WMD, ties to Al-Qaeda, and ties between Iraq and 9/11. She warned Mayor Willie Brown not to fly on September 11th, saving his life, and letting 3000 other people die.

I'd vote for her.

pcteaser
05-15-2005, 03:27 PM

Why do you think Dr. Rice is a great woman?

Gold9472
05-15-2005, 03:33 PM
http://www.code0range.net/files/images/rice-tanker-743.jpg

Hobbes
05-15-2005, 03:42 PM
She commited perjury at the 9/11 Commission. She lied about about Iraq in regards to WMD, ties to Al-Qaeda, and ties between Iraq and 9/11. She warned Mayor Willie Brown not to fly on September 11th, saving his life, and letting 3000 other people die.

I'd vote for her.

Had any of the myths had any truth she would never had been confirmed as Sec. of State. If an illegal alien house keeper kept Bernard Kerik from being AG then that sure as hell would. Lets deal in facts not accusations, OK?

Hobbes
05-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Why do you think Dr. Rice is a great woman?

Have you looked at her resume? I think it speaks for itself.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/rice-bio.html

pcteaser
05-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Have you looked at her resume? I think it speaks for itself.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/rice-bio.html

I'm sorry, I'm not interested in reading her resume. I'm asking YOU, personally, what it is you think is great about this woman?

Hobbes
05-15-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not interested in reading her resume. I'm asking YOU, personally, what it is you think is great about this woman?

If you read it you will understand. It is not just one thing, she has accomplished so much in such a short time. I can not just pick one thing.

pcteaser
05-15-2005, 03:56 PM
If you read it you will understand. It is not just one thing, she has accomplished so much in such a short time. I can not just pick one thing.

So it says in her resume "Hobbes thinks I'm a great woman because... "?

pcteaser
05-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
www.state.gov (http://www.whitehouse.gov/goodbye/56af60bcf8df442dafe73cbec8a92ea5bddc2cd1.html)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/images/dr-rice-100.jpg

Dr. Condoleezza Rice became Secretary of State on January 26, 2005. Prior to this, she was the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs, commonly referred to as the National Security Advisor, since January, 2001.

In June 1999, she completed a six year tenure as Stanford University's Provost, during which she was the institution's chief budget and academic officer. As Provost she was responsible for a $1.5 billion annual budget and the academic program involving 1,400 faculty members and 14,000 students.

As professor of political science, Dr. Rice has been on the Stanford faculty since 1981 and has won two of the highest teaching honors -- the 1984 ^^^^^^ J. Gores Award for Excellence in Teaching and the 1993 School of Humanities and Sciences Dean's Award for Distinguished Teaching.

At Stanford, she has been a member of the Center for International Security and Arms Control, a Senior Fellow of the Institute for International Studies, and a Fellow (by courtesy) of the Hoover Institution. Her books include Germany Unified and Europe Transformed (1995) with Philip Zelikow, The Gorbachev Era (1986) with Alexander Dallin, and Uncertain Allegiance: The Soviet Union and the Czechoslovak Army (1984). She also has written numerous articles on Soviet and East European foreign and defense policy, and has addressed audiences in settings ranging from the U.S. Ambassador's Residence in Moscow to the Commonwealth Club to the 1992 and 2000 Republican National Conventions.

From 1989 through March 1991, the period of German reunification and the final days of the Soviet Union, she served in the Bush Administration as Director, and then Senior Director, of Soviet and East European Affairs in the National Security Council, and a Special Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs. In 1986, while an international affairs fellow of the Council on Foreign Relations, she served as Special Assistant to the Director of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. In 1997, she served on the Federal Advisory Committee on Gender -- Integrated Training in the Military.

She was a member of the boards of directors for the Chevron Corporation, the Charles Schwab Corporation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the University of Notre Dame, the International Advisory Council of J.P. Morgan and the San Francisco Symphony Board of Governors.

She was a Founding Board member of the Center for a New Generation, an educational support fund for schools in East Palo Alto and East Menlo Park, California and was Vice President of the Boys and Girls Club of the Peninsula . In addition, her past board service has encompassed such organizations as Transamerica Corporation, Hewlett Packard, the Carnegie Corporation, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, The Rand Corporation, the National Council for Soviet and East European Studies, the Mid-Peninsula Urban Coalition and KQED, public broadcasting for San Francisco. Born November 14, 1954 in Birmingham, Alabama, she earned her bachelor's degree in political science, cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Denver in 1974; her master's from the University of Notre Dame in 1975; and her Ph.D. from the Graduate School of International Studies at the University of Denver in 1981. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and has been awarded honorary doctorates from Morehouse College in 1991, the University of Alabama in 1994, the University of Notre Dame in 1995, the National Defense University in 2002, the Mississippi College School of Law in 2003, the University of Louisville and Michigan State University in 2004. She resides in Washington, D.C.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/images/pixel.gif

Hobbes
05-15-2005, 04:00 PM
You guys do a great job of making people feel welcome.

I just told you, I can not pick one reason, nor can I put my finger on it.

Enjoy your site.

Nice try Jon, but your site is no different than any other. No reason for me to post at multiply hostile liberal sites.... I will just stick to my others.

pcteaser
05-15-2005, 04:01 PM
This all tells me what the woman has done, but not who she is. What does her moral stance place her? Is she pro-choice or pro-life? Is she a supporter of women's rights? Has she ever stood up and demonstrated for a cause she believed in?

What makes her a great woman?

pcteaser
05-15-2005, 04:04 PM
You guys do a great job of making people feel welcome.

I just told you, I can not pick one reason, nor can I put my finger on it.

Enjoy your site.

Nice try Jon, but your site is no different than any other. No reason for me to post at multiply hostile liberal sites.... I will just stick to my others.

I'm not trying to make you feel unwelcome. I am honestly trying to understand what you see that I do not. Reading a resume does not enlighten me. I'm sorry.

Hobbes
05-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm not trying to make you feel unwelcome. I am honestly trying to understand what you see that I do not. Reading a resume does not enlighten me. I'm sorry.

So it says in her resume "Hobbes thinks I'm a great woman because... "?

No, but smart ass remarks like this do.

Like I said...enjoy your site. I'm out.

Gold9472
05-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Had any of the myths had any truth she would never had been confirmed as Sec. of State. If an illegal alien house keeper kept Bernard Kerik from being AG then that sure as hell would. Lets deal in facts not accusations, OK?

Condoleeza Rice Quote
"I do not remember any reports to us, a kind of strategic warning, that planes might be used as weapons."

FACT
Condoleezza Rice was the top National Security official with President Bush at the July 2001 G-8 summit in Genoa. There, "U.S. officials were warned that Islamic terrorists might attempt to crash an airliner" into the summit, prompting officials to "close the airspace over Genoa and station antiaircraft guns at the city's airport." [Sources: Los Angeles Times, 9/27/01; White House release, 7/22/01]

FACT
According to the newly released FAA monograph, in the spring of 2001 the FAA knew that if "the intent of the hijacker is not to exchange hostages for prisoners, but to commit suicide in a spectacular explosion, a domestic hijacking would probably be preferable".

Of the 105 warnings issued, 52 warnings regarding al Qaeda were given to the FAA by the intelligence community in a six month period from April 2001 to September 2001.

Condoleeza Rice Quote
There was "nothing about the threat of attack in the U.S." in the Presidential Daily Briefing the President received on August 6th.

FACT
Rice herself confirmed that "the title [of the PDB] was, 'Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States."

You're going to tell me that if the intelligence community was aware that there was a National Security risk regarding the FAA, that the National Security Advisor isn't going to know about it?

somebigguy
05-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Don't waste your time Jon, they don't want to know. Or they do know, and they just don't care.

Must stink with your head stuck that far up your ass.