PDA

View Full Version : Osama "still alive" says Bush, regrets using Wild West lingo

simuvac
06-16-2008, 03:49 PM
http://www.ptinews.com/pti%5Cptisite.nsf/0/203B882C5A8061806525746A00396628?OpenDocument

Osama "still alive" says Bush, regrets using Wild West lingo

London, June 16 (PTI) US President George W Bush says Osama bin Laden is "still alive" but regrets making his infamous edict to get the 9/11 terror mastermind "dead or alive" saying that it had sent a "wrong signal" to the Muslim world. "Osama bin Laden is still alive," Bush said in an interview to British television channel Skynews.

Asked if he had ordered any special effort to take Osama before he left the White House early next year, Bush said: "Well, I said "dead or alive" right after September the 11th." "It's an unfortunate statement I made. But inherent in that statement is our desire to bring him to justice," Bush, now on a visit to Britain, said.

When asked if he considered his statement as inappropriate and that hurt Washington's ties with the Muslim world, Bush said: "Yes. Look, it was unscripted, I spoke my mind, and it just sent the wrong signal. I didn't realise it at the time, obviously; otherwise I wouldn't have said it." Reacting to a media report that he had ordered a 'special hunt' for Osama, Bush said: "It's a little bit of press hyperventilating -- after all, that's what we've been doing ever since September the 11th." Laura Bush, who was also interviewed, was asked whether her husband's statement on Osama was an "unfortunate" statement when he used the Wild West language, she said: "Sort of." When quizzed further, she said: "Well, I don't know why exactly. Just didn't sound serious, really, I think." PTI