PDA

View Full Version : Families Seek Proper Burial Of 9/11 Victims

Gold9472
03-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Families Seek Proper Burial Of 9/11 Victims

http://www.turnto10.com/northeast/jar/news.apx.-content-articles-JAR-2008-03-21-0019.html

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 - 08:25 AM Updated: 08:34 PM

NORTH PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Many of the families who lost loved ones in the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on the World Trade Center still have unresolved issues nearly seven years later.

One issue in particular is the claim that there are still remains of those who were killed sitting out in the open in a garbage dump on Staten Island.

Diane Horning lost her 26-year-old son in the attack. On a recent visit to the Fresh Kills Landfill, she said she found keys, a fireman's jacket, a bumper from a fire truck and bones.

Lillian Tetreault, of North Providence, also lost a child that day. Renee Tetreault Newell was on Flight 11 from Boston that went into one of the towers.

"My daughter's birthday is March 19. And I try every year to go. I feel the need to be there. I somehow feel her presence there. I bring her flowers. I can't even tell you what it feels like," Tetreault said.

Publish reports said nearly half the families have had nothing to bury of their loved ones.

In sworn affidavits from some workers at Fresh Kills, the initial 200,000 tons of debris from the World Trade Center was not properly sifted, contains human remains, and is unaccounted for to this day.

"I strongly believe that there are, at a minimum, hundreds of human body parts of WTC victims buried at Fresh Kills," said Theodore Feaser, the retired director of mechanical operations for the city Sanitation Department.

Tetreault has joined Horning's group, which has filed suit and is floating a petition to get something done.

"Until I know the landfill is out of there, our family members are out of there, maybe I might get some peace. Maybe we can go on with our lives. But at this point, no. We're having a difficult time," Tetreault said.

More information about the effort is available on the WTC Families For Proper Burial Web site.