PDA

View Full Version : Ireland Elections

Se7en
05-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Published: 11 May, 2005

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams MP has thanked all those who voted for Sinn Féin in the Westminster and Local government elections, endorsing the work of the party and returning it as the largest pro-Agreement and largest nationalist party in the north. He said 'This will strengthen our ability and reinforce our determination to advance the peace process, build for Irish unity and bring about social and economic change.

Mr Adams said:

"The Sinn Féin party and electorate bore the brunt of months of abuse and disgraceful invective from sections of he media and our political opponents. In addition the electoral register was systematically shredded in a transparent attempt to undermine the Sinn Féin vote. I would appeal to those who are not on the electoral register to get on it. And to those who didn't have proper identification to take steps now to remedy this.

"Despite this two pronged attack the Sinn Fein vote has significantly increased right across the six counties. Sinn Fein won five Westminster seats and 126 Council seats. This makes us the largest pro-Agreement and largest nationalist party in the north.

"Along with the 126 Councillors we have in the 26 counties, and our team of TDs and MEPs, this strengthens Sinn Féin's formidable radical all-Ireland alternative to the conservative parties north and south.

"I want to thank the voters who have made this possible. And I want to thank all of those who stood for our party and our election workers who strove tirelessly to achieve this tremendous result."