PDA

View Full Version : Canada PM Faces Resignation Vote

Gold9472
05-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Canada PM faces resignation vote
Mr Martin says he will call an election later this year

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4532329.stm

Canadian MPs are set to vote on an opposition motion calling on the scandal-hit minority government of Prime Minister Paul Martin to resign.

The ruling Liberal Party says it does not recognise the motion as a matter of no confidence.

However, the opposition says Mr Martin should resign if he loses the vote.

In new testimony to an inquiry into a financial scandal, a former Liberal party executive has said he made illegal payments to party officials.

Close vote

Mr Martin has been fighting to save his minority government, with the opposition Conservative Party and Bloc Quebecois increasingly pushing for an early election.

The motion under consideration on Tuesday calls on the Public Accounts Committee to amend a report to "recommend that the government resign because of its failure to address the deficiencies in governance of the public service".

"What you have here is an instruction to a committee. It's a long way away from any type of confidence motion," the Liberal leader in the House of Commons, Tony Valeri, said.

However, the Bloc Quebecois House leader, Michel Gauthier, said Mr Martin would have no choice but to resign if the majority of members in the House voted in favour of the motion.

The Speaker of the House of Commons has ruled that the motion is in order, and it is unclear what would happen if the motion passed.

The results of the vote, scheduled for 1745 (2145 GMT), will be close.

The Liberals, allied with the New Democratic Party, can count on 151 votes. The Conservatives, allied with the Bloc Quebecois, say they can count on 153 votes.

The government is pinning its hopes on the support of independent MPs. However, one of them, MP Chuck Cadman, is being treated for cancer and may not be able to travel to Ottawa for the vote.

'Kickbacks'

The scandal erupted after a report last year found that C$100m of government money earmarked to promote Canadian unity in the late 1990s was given to advertising firms with Liberal connections for little or no work.

The subsequent judicial inquiry, headed by Judge John Gomery, has heard explosive testimony, including allegations that Liberal party officials received kickbacks.

In Monday's testimony, Benoit Corbeil, the party's former chief executive in the province of Quebec, said he gave envelopes stuffed with C$100 bills to party staffers now working for government ministers.

He said the money came from a secret C$50,000 donation from an advertising executive, who has admitted giving money from government contracts to the Liberal Party.

Mr Martin, who has not been implicated in the affair, has promised to call a general election within 30 days of the inquiry's final report and recommendations, expected at the end of the year.

He was finance minister when the alleged corruption took place, under the premiership of Jean Chretien.

Gold9472
05-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Phhhh... Canada's so great... phhhh

somebigguy
05-10-2005, 07:55 PM
All politicians are crooks.

Gold9472
05-10-2005, 08:07 PM
That's cause we let them be.

somebigguy
05-10-2005, 08:11 PM
I think it takes that kind of person to be a politician, just like lawyers, and used car salesmen. They gotta be quick on their feet and they tell people what they want to here, twisting the facts to serve their purpose. Comes with the territory.

Gold9472
05-10-2005, 08:15 PM
I don't think it "takes" that type of person to be a politician. I think what you described is the exact opposite of what a politician should be.

A politician, to me, is someone who grew up as an American (or from whereever they're from). Someone familiar with the "inner workings" of what America is all about. Someone who understands the people. Someone who cares about the reprocussions of their decisions.

somebigguy
05-10-2005, 08:17 PM
I don't think it "takes" that type of person to be a politician. I think what you described is the exact opposite of what a politician should be.

A politician, to me, is someone who grew up as an American (or from whereever they're from). Someone familiar with the "inner workings" of what America is all about. Someone who understands the people. Someone who cares about the reprocussions of their decisions.
I know what we'd all like a politician to be, I'm just stating what they are. Lets face it, no politician will get anywhere if they tell the truth, because no one would vote for them. You're right, its all our fault.