PDA

View Full Version : Opt Out

pcteaser
05-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Parents can keep military recruiters from contacting kids

The Associated Press

05/08/05 - - BEAVERCREEK, Ohio (AP) — Fed up with constant calls and visits from military recruiters seeking to meet monthly enlistment quotas, some parents are unaware the military gets their contact information from their children's schools.

For nearly two years, recruiters showed up at David Antoon's Beavercreek home to try to persuade his oldest son to join, and their presence was not appreciated, he said.

After some research, Antoon found the recruiters has gotten his son's address and phone number from his school, and he could "opt out" by asking Beavercreek High School not to release the information.

"Before kids are shown movies, they bring (consent) forms home for parents to sign," Antoon said. "Yet, schools give my address, phone numbers and (students') grades to recruiters without my knowledge."

Starting in the fall, as a result of Antoon's efforts, Beavercreek schools will start sending home opt-out forms along with other documents parents receive at the beginning of the school year, Superintendent Denny Morrison said.

The No Child Left Behind Act says schools receiving federal funding must give military recruiters the same information they give to colleges. A separate federal law says parents should be notified before schools distribute the information, but the notification can be made in a student handbook or other mailing. Parents also must be told how they can prevent the information's release.

Several other schools say they send home opt-out forms.

Recruiters say they understand some people don't want to join the military and do not intend to pester uninterested students.

High school recruiting "is the most helpful and effective way to fill the ranks of our military," said Maj. David Griesmer, public affairs officer for the Marine Corps Recruiting Command.

Military officials say the Army and Marines fell short of recruiting goals for the last four consecutive months. Navy and Air Force recruiters are meeting their goals.

© 2005 Cleveland.com

laurabears
05-09-2005, 09:50 PM
I don't know if i like this idea of public schools giving out students personal information like that . . . especially to recruiters

Simply_sexy
05-09-2005, 10:00 PM
I don't know if i like this idea of public schools giving out students personal information like that . . . especially to recruiters
I agree!

Skitch76
05-09-2005, 10:06 PM
They used to call me all the time asking if I wanted to join. I never had them show up at my door!

I like this opt-out clause.

laurabears
05-09-2005, 10:09 PM
if only people knew about it

Skitch76
05-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Right. Just like not everyone knows you can opt out of pre-approved credit offers.

princesskittypoo
05-09-2005, 10:27 PM
They use to call me all the time too. I never understood why. first off i would be the worst person to choose to go fight a war. as i am a lover not a fighter.

laurabears
05-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Just tell them you are a pacifist and to take you off thier list!

Giggles
05-10-2005, 12:30 AM
They use to call me all the time too. I never understood why. first off i would be the worst person to choose to go fight a war. as i am a lover not a fighter.I so agree, but don't push the buttons.

WhiteGuySaysThis
05-10-2005, 04:52 AM
Damn these kids not wanting to go to war for no purpose! ;)

laurabears
05-10-2005, 10:51 AM
geez kids today

WhiteGuySaysThis
05-10-2005, 10:53 AM
I know... the little bastards.