PDA

View Full Version : Lott Expected To Announce Resignation As Early As Monday

Gold9472
11-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Lott expected to announce resignation as early as Monday

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Lott_expected_to_announce_resignation_as_1126.html

David Edwards and Nick Juliano
Published: Monday November 26, 2007

Onetime Senate GOP leader Trent Lott is expected to announce his resignation as early as Monday, giving Republicans another open seat to defend in next year's election, MSNBC reports Monday morning.

By resigning before Jan. 1, 2008, Lott will dodge new ethics laws that would require him to wait two years before taking on a lucrative lobbying gig in Washington, NBC correspondent Kelly O'Donnell reports. And the early resignation will give the Mississippi senator more influence in who would become his successor.

"This is a significant development because Trent Lott is a former majority leader in the Senate and has been a powerful force, high-ranking Republican and he represents another departure," O'Donnell said, noting that Nebraska Republican Chuck Hagel also has announced his intention not to seek reelection in the Senate.

Lott, the senior senator from Mississippi, came under fire in 2002 for his controversial comments praising Sen. Strom Thurmond, saying the country would be better off if the then-segregationist had won his presidential bid in 1948.

O'Donnell noted that there has been some distance between Lott and the White House, which did not vigorously defend the majority leader for the comments which contributed to his losing his top spot in the Senate.

AuGmENTor
11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
This is an elected official, right? Health or catastrophic family emergency should be the only reason you can leave a TERM of OFFICE early. He was voted in for a TERM of a pre-determined amount of time. He knew the length of that term when he ran. And even if he's a criminal (like this fuckin weasle) he should have to run it out, or be banned from "public service" (heretoafter known as "assmongling.")

PhilosophyGenius
11-26-2007, 08:01 PM
News said Lott was like the 9th republican to leave Congress.

simuvac
11-26-2007, 10:36 PM
"Assmongling"?

I must admit, that's a new one for me.

AuGmENTor
11-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I made it up... But it is kinda self defining. I might be being a tad presumptuous. Try googling it.

simuvac
11-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I made it up... But it is kinda self defining. I might be being a tad presumptuous. Try googling it.

It seems you have tapped into some kind of collective will:

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=Assmongling&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

AuGmENTor
11-27-2007, 06:16 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Maybe at some point I heard it but never registered it. Or maybe similarly*sp? twisted minds just create the same product. Like the monkies typing in a room. You do have to admit it rolls off the tongue.