PDA

View Full Version : Fox heralds Bush as a World Series ‘hero.’

beltman713
10-28-2007, 11:16 AM
http://thinkprogress.org/2007/10/28/fox-baseball-bush-pitch/#comment-4136364

Fox heralds Bush as a World Series ‘hero.’

Last night, Fox aired a montage prior its airing of the Red Sox/Rockies game that celebrated great moments in World Series history. “The story of the World Series is told in seven chapters,” the narrator said, “each with their old tale, each with their own hero. These stories take us back in time to the place where we witnessed greatness.” Fox highlighted famous individual accomplishments by baseball icons in World Series history — such as Kirk Gibson’s game-winnning homerun in 1988 and Babe Ruth’s “called shot” in the 1932 World Series. Fox also deemed President Bush’s first pitch in Game 3 of the 2001 World Series worthy of inclusion. Watch it:

Go here for youtube video (http://thinkprogress.org/2007/10/28/fox-baseball-bush-pitch/#comment-4136364)

dMole
10-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Sure, Dubya's pitch put what- 80-90 runs on the scoreboard for the BoSox? He's a modern-day baseball legend!

Criminy...

simuvac
10-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Jesus Fucking Christ.

AuGmENTor
10-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Jesus Fucking Christ.This surprises you?

simuvac
10-28-2007, 03:56 PM
This surprises you?

No. I guess in print my reaction sounds stronger than it was.

I'm just blowing off steam, because maybe I don't want to believe that Fox is now, and has always been, as strident as every other fascist propaganda organ.

Like, sure, I expect Fox to lie for the GOP. But I guess I'm still a little put off by the "the leader is great"/cult of personality stuff.

The really sad part is that over time there will be a Fox Fatigue, and people will stop being surprised by the lies and distortions. So, maybe it's a good thing it still pisses me off?

AuGmENTor
10-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Everyone spins everything to their views. Even this board. I understand that we are not the news and that is not what we are here for (un-spun news). But show me ANY media that is un-spun.

simuvac
10-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Everyone spins everything to their views. Even this board. I understand that we are not the news and that is not what we are here for (un-spun news). But show me ANY media that is un-spun.

Yes and no. Sure, everything is in some sense ideological. However, some things are just facts, however you frame them.

Were there wildfires in California this week? Yes. No amount of spin can change that. Now, there are many ways we can discuss those fires. Fox chooses to insinuate the involvement of al-Qaida. This is propagandistic, because it ignores all verifiable realities and pushes a point of view designed to coerce the audience into accepting the agenda of the ruling class.

See, Fox isn't just a "conservative" news network. It's pure propaganda. That's what puts me off about Fox. I may not be a "conservative" in some general sense, but I can still learn from conservative media.

dMole
10-28-2007, 08:02 PM
... However, some things are just facts, however you frame them. [Ed: There are many types and shapes of frames] I may not be a "conservative" in some general sense, but I can still learn from conservative media.

Ed: I believe that Sun Tzu[sp?] said: "keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

Simuvac is absolutely correct on this point that has been taught to most miltary colleges going back to at least Alexander "the Great"'s time about studying the enemy's tactics.

AuGmENTor
10-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Ed: I believe that Sun Tzu[sp?] said: "keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

Simuvac is absolutely correct on this point that has been taught to most miltary colleges going back to at least Alexander "the Great"'s time about studying the enemy's tactics.What an odd thing to say...