PDA

View Full Version : FDA To Ban Sperm From Men Who Had Gay Sex

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 04:47 PM
FDA to ban sperm from men who had gay sex

Thursday, May 5, 2005 Posted: 4:12 PM EDT (2012 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- To the dismay of gay-rights activists, the Food and Drug Administration is about to implement new rules recommending that any man who has engaged in homosexual sex in the previous five years be barred from serving as an anonymous sperm donor.

The FDA has rejected calls to scrap the provision, insisting that gay men collectively pose a higher-than-average risk of carrying the AIDS virus. Critics accuse the FDA of stigmatizing all gay men rather than adopting a screening process that focuses on high-risk sexual behavior by any would-be donor, gay or straight.

"Under these rules, a heterosexual man who had unprotected sex with HIV-positive prostitutes would be OK as a donor one year later, but a gay man in a monogamous, safe-sex relationship is not OK unless he's been celibate for five years," said Leland Traiman, director of a clinic in Alameda, California, that seeks gay sperm donors.

Traiman said adequate safety assurances can be provided by testing a sperm donor at the time of the initial donation, then freezing the sperm for a six-month quarantine and testing the donor again to be sure there is no new sign of HIV or other infectious diseases.

Although there is disagreement over whether the FDA guideline regarding gay men will have the force of law, most doctors and clinics are expected to observe it.

Behavior vs orientation
The practical effect of the provision -- part of a broader set of cell and tissue donation regulations that take effect May 25 -- is hard to gauge. It is likely to affect some lesbian couples who want a child and prefer to use a gay man's sperm for artificial insemination.

But it is the provision's symbolic aspect that particularly troubles gay-rights groups. Kevin Cathcart, executive director of Lambda Legal, has called it "policy based on bigotry."

"The part I find most offensive -- and a little frightening -- is that it isn't based on good science," Cathcart said. "There's a steadily increasing trend of heterosexual transmission of HIV, and yet the FDA still has this notion that you protect people by putting gay men out of the pool."

In a letter to the FDA, Lambda Legal has suggested a screening procedure based on sexual behavior, not sexual orientation. Prospective donors -- gay or straight -- would be rejected if they had engaged in unprotected sex in the previous 12 months with an HIV-positive person, an illegal drug user, or "an individual of unknown HIV status outside of a monogamous relationship."

But an FDA spokeswoman cited FDA documents suggesting that officials felt the broader exclusion was prudent even if it affected gay men who practice safe sex.

"The FDA is very much aware that strict exclusion policies eliminate some safe donors," said one document.

Many doctors and fertility clinics already have been rejecting gay sperm donors, citing the pending FDA rules or existing regulations of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine.

"With an anonymous sperm donor, you can't be too careful," said a society spokeswoman, Eleanor Nicoll. "Our concern is for the health of the recipient, not to let more and more people be sperm donors."

'Directed' donors
However, some sperm banks, notably in California, have welcomed gay donors. The director of one of them, Alice Ruby of the Oakland-based Sperm Bank of California, said her staff had developed procedures for identifying gay men with an acceptably low risk of HIV.

Gay men are a major donor source at Traiman's Rainbow Flag sperm bank, and he said that practice would continue despite the new rules.

"We're going to continue to follow judicious, careful testing procedures for our clients that even experts within the FDA say is safe," said Traiman, referring to the six-month quarantine.

The FDA rules do not prohibit gay men from serving as "directed" sperm donors. If a woman wishing to become pregnant knows a gay man and asks that he provide sperm for artificial insemination, a clinic could provide that service even if the man had engaged in sex with other men within five years.

However, Traiman said some lesbian couples do not have a gay friend they know and trust well enough to be the biological father of their child, and would thus prefer an anonymous donor.

Dr. Deborah Cohan, an obstetrics and gynecology instructor at the University of California, San Francisco, said some lesbians prefer to receive sperm from a gay donor because they feel such a man would be more receptive to the concept of a family headed by a same-sex couple.

"This rule will make things legally more difficult for them," she said. "I can't think of a scientifically valid reason -- it has to be an issue of discrimination."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 04:50 PM
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!

my knee jerk reaction to this is "what a bunch of crap!"

They screen all donations anyway

*grr*

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 04:55 PM
It's just another shot from our Religious Right Wing nutjob Government at the Gays.

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 04:59 PM
It's just another shot from our Religious Right Wing nutjob Government at the Gays.

I must not really be a christian. Somewhere I missed the whole, "must hate gays, must vote republican, must choose creationism over evolution" part of my religious upbringing.

shame on them for hating. That is anti-christian.

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 05:01 PM
I must not really be a christian. Somewhere I missed the whole, "must hate gays, must vote republican, must choose creationism over evolution" part of my religious upbringing.

shame on them for hating. That is anti-christian.

Where's Ophie when I need her... if I get this quote wrong, I apologize...

Ghandi: "I like your Christ, I don't like your Christians, your Christians are nothing like your Christ"

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Where's Ophie when I need her... if I get this quote wrong, I apologize...

Ghandi: "I like your Christ, I don't like your Christians, your Christians are nothing like your Christ"

I am familiar with the quote ... and really it can be applied to so many great concepts that went terribly wrong when people became involved. Communism is the first one to pop into my head.

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 05:05 PM
I am familiar with the quote ... and really it can be applied to so many great concepts that went terribly wrong when people became involved. Communism is the first one to pop into my head.

Yep... if you want it to get fucked up, make sure you include a person.

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Yep... if you want it to get fucked up, make sure you include a person.

*sigh*

to quote another, much less great than Ghandi, and very cliche:

"can't we all just get along?"

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Anyway... this is discrimination in every sense of the word. Gays have become blacks. I can't even believe they have to fight for their rights. They're people just like everyone else, and even better, they come in ALL colors...

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Anyway... this is discrimination in every sense of the word. Gays have become blacks. I can't even believe they have to fight for their rights. They're people just like everyone else, and even better, they come in ALL colors...

anyway .. enough of DYM's crazy tangents *lol*

you are correct. It is discrimination of the worst kind!

Another crazy tangent ...

have you ever read any of Nancy Kress's stuff? One of her books which I now can't remember the name of but is about a surgical procedure that allows you to experience your past lives ...

***Brainrose***

anyway, in this book being Gay is completely illegal for the same health reasons that are cited in this article.

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 05:18 PM
anyway .. enough of DYM's crazy tangents *lol*

you are correct. It is discrimination of the worst kind!

If I was gay, I would do something about it.

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 05:20 PM
If I was gay, I would do something about it.

you won't do someting about it anyway?

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 05:23 PM
you won't do someting about it anyway?

I posted the story... made several people aware of it... as far as being a gay activist... I don't think I have the shoes for it.

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 05:55 PM
I had a thought on the way home from work. Haven't there been studies that say Homosexuality is hereditary? As DYM already said, they check every sample for diseases before it gets put into storage, so the risk of spreading AIDS isn't decreased. I think this is the religious right's way of killing off the "Gay Gene". If you're gay, chances are you would never procreate with someone else. Of course there are exceptions, but overall, it doesn't happen that often. If they ban gay man juice, they're essentially destroying any chance of the "Gay Gene" being transmitted to someone else.

Didn't the Nazis prohibit the Jews from procreating?

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 06:12 PM
I had a thought on the way home from work. Haven't there been studies that say Homosexuality is hereditary? As DYM already said, they check every sample for diseases before it gets put into storage, so the risk of spreading AIDS isn't decreased. I think this is the religious right's way of killing off the "Gay Gene". If you're gay, chances are you would never procreate with someone else. Of course there are exceptions, but overall, it doesn't happen that often. If they ban gay man juice, they're essentially destroying any chance of the "Gay Gene" being transmitted to someone else.

Didn't the Nazis prohibit the Jews from procreating?

There have been several studies, and many attempts to locate the "gay gene." unfortunately no one has been able to prove the genetics of being gay.

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 06:13 PM
There have been several studies, and many attempts to locate the "gay gene." unfortunately no one has been able to prove the genetics of being gay.

No one has been able to prove the existence of God, that doesn't mean people don't believe in he/she/it...

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 06:15 PM
No one has been able to prove the existence of God, that doesn't mean people don't believe in he/she/it...

I'm not arguing that point. I'm just saying they haven't been able to locate the gene.

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm not arguing that point. I'm just saying they haven't been able to locate the gene.

I think my "Conspiracy Theory" might be justified... who knows.

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 06:17 PM
It's not like they've made it a secret that they hate Gays, etc...

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 06:21 PM
I think my "Conspiracy Theory" might be justified... who knows.

I read something a long time ago, and now can't really quote it or source it ... but it suggested that historically the farming class and the african americans got along with no real issues pre-American Revolution. According to what I read, it was the british who fanned the fires of hatred between the working class Americans and the "lesser" African Americans in order to divert the attention of potential rebels.

I have no idea how true that is ... but the concept seems awfully similar to fanning the hatred of gays.

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 06:22 PM
I read something a long time ago, and now can't really quote it or source it ... but it suggested that historically the farming class and the african americans got along with no real issues pre-American Revolution. According to what I read, it was the british who fanned the fires of hatred between the working class Americans and the "lesser" African Americans in order to divert the attention of potential rebels.

I have no idea how true that is ... but the concept seems awfully similar to fanning the hatred of gays.

Our Government has tried to "Divide" us since its' inception. In one way or another...

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Our Government has tried to "Divide" us since its' inception. In one way or another...

and it works all too well

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 06:25 PM
and it works all too well

That's why people need to turn off their TV's, and read. But that's just me.

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 06:26 PM
That's why people need to turn off their TV's, and read. But that's just me.

I agree ... but the divisions happen everywhere. It is in print as much as its on television.

Se7en
05-05-2005, 06:28 PM

Gold, this is HORRIBLE!! How are you going to subsidize your income NOW?!?!?

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 06:31 PM
I agree ... but the divisions happen everywhere. It is in print as much as its on television.

Absolutely... but as Allen Dulles said, "Americans Don't Read". They would rather get their information from the shiny box with lights, than pick up a book. If they were to start reading, I can almost guarantee that they will pick up books based on their pre-installed beliefs from the TV. If they watch Fox News, they'll pick up Sean Hannity/Bill O'Reilly books, etc...

That's why we need to start "pushing" people in the right direction...

somebigguy
05-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Looks like Jon is gonna have to back to flushing it...

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Looks like Jon is gonna have to back to flushing it...

Stay on topic. Homo.

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Gold, this is HORRIBLE!! How are you going to subsidize your income NOW?!?!?

You pay me pretty well for my services. I'll be ok.

Se7en
05-05-2005, 06:56 PM
You pay me pretty well for my services. I'll be ok.

Bwhahahahahah ! :)

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Bwhahahahahah ! :)

So Mr. Lawyer man... tell me what's wrong with this new story.

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Absolutely... but as Allen Dulles said, "Americans Don't Read". They would rather get their information from the shiny box with lights, than pick up a book. If they were to start reading, I can almost guarantee that they will pick up books based on their pre-installed beliefs from the TV. If they watch Fox News, they'll pick up Sean Hannity/Bill O'Reilly books, etc...

That's why we need to start "pushing" people in the right direction...

yes ... but to have the american population able to pick up a book, read it, and come to conclusions of their own brain power requires they be educated.

which requires the government put some kind of funding back into education.

and really, why would the government do that when having an uneducated populas is so very beneficial?

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 10:10 PM
yes ... but to have the american population able to pick up a book, read it, and come to conclusions of their own brain power requires they be educated.

which requires the government put some kind of funding back into education.

and really, why would the government do that when having an uneducated populas is so very beneficial?

That's why we need to do it when and where we can.

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 10:11 PM
That's why we need to do it when and where we can.

agreed ...

so in essence, you are a gay rights activist!

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 10:13 PM
agreed ...

so in essence, you are a gay rights activist!

I consider myself to be an earth activist.

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 10:16 PM
I consider myself to be an earth activist.

nice. I like that.

I'm going to steal it ...

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 10:18 PM
nice. I like that.

I'm going to steal it ...

Actually... maybe I'm a "Truth Activist" instead... always seeking the truth about why the world goes round and round and why people are trying to stop that.

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Actually... maybe I'm a "Truth Activist" instead... always seeking the truth about why the world goes round and round and why people are trying to stop that.

Oh - I know that one! Its easy.

The world goes round and round because of gravity. It revolves on its axis, it revolutes around the Sun. The moon revolutes around the earth. Add in the other 8 planets and you have our entire position in the universe!

Problem solved :)

(I'm going to get it for that one)

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 10:24 PM
But why are people trying to stop it? Metaphorically speaking...

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 10:29 PM
But why are people trying to stop it? Metaphorically speaking...

I have no idea ...

which is why I was being as ass with my other answer

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 10:38 PM
I have no idea ...

which is why I was being as ass with my other answer

Ah... sorry... missed the sarcasm.

danceyogamom
05-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Ah... sorry... missed the sarcasm.

no problem.
At times it can be difficult to properly convey tone in written form.

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 10:41 PM
No... I knew that you were joking, but I was just asking why... why why why... not to you necessarily...

miss_muffet
05-05-2005, 10:44 PM
grrrr. this story had me wanting to hit my screen. damn stories like this just royally piss me off. just like those fucking idiots down in texas not wanting gays to be foster parents.

Gold9472
05-05-2005, 10:53 PM
grrrr. this story had me wanting to hit my screen. damn stories like this just royally piss me off. just like those fucking idiots down in texas not wanting gays to be foster parents.

I didn't hear about that... do you have a story?

Uber Commandante
05-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Its all because gay people don't know what Love is, thats why they can't be foster parents or be involved in legally binding civil unions (or marriages).

Its the 'christian' protestors at Mathew Shepard's funeral with their 'Burn in Hell' signs that know about love. They are truly the Lord's workers and should be a positive role model for us all.

Gold9472
05-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Nice

danceyogamom
05-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Its all because gay people don't know what Love is, thats why they can't be foster parents or be involved in legally binding civil unions (or marriages).

Its the 'christian' protestors at Mathew Shepard's funeral with their 'Burn in Hell' signs that know about love. They are truly the Lord's workers and should be a positive role model for us all.

:)