PDA

View Full Version : Asthma rates high among 9/11 workers

simuvac
08-27-2007, 08:05 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/27/AR2007082700788_pf.html

Asthma Rates High Among 9/11 Workers
By DEVLIN BARRETT
The Associated Press
Monday, August 27, 2007; 1:36 PM

WASHINGTON -- A new survey of Sept. 11-related illnesses has found an alarming increase in asthma _ 12 times higher than normal _ among those who toiled on the toxic debris piles of ground zero.

The study was released Monday by the New York City Department of Health, based on responses gathered by the World Trade Center Health Registry.

The data show 3.6 percent of the 25,000 rescue and recovery workers in the registry reported developing asthma after working at the site _ more than 12 times the expected figure for adults over a similar time period.

"The risk was significantly elevated for fire and rescue workers, medical workers, and police and military personnel compared to volunteers," according to the study published in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives.

Firefighters, police officers, construction workers and volunteers swarmed to the site immediately after the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks. While most of them were from New York, hundreds or more came from across the country to help in the moment of national crisis.

Overall, workers who arrived at the disaster site on the day of the attacks and stayed more than 90 days reported the highest rate of new asthma _ 7 percent. Volunteers accounted for almost one-third of those responding to the survey; firefighters accounted for about 14 percent.

Workers who reported wearing protective respirators on Sept. 11 and 12, when the contamination was at its worst, had lower risk of developing adult-onset asthma, the study found.

"These findings reflect the critical importance of getting appropriate respiratory protection to all workers as quickly as possible during a disaster, and making every effort to make sure workers wear them at all times," said Dr. Thomas Frieden, the city's health commissioner.

The results buttress previous research that found 70 percent of those who worked at ground zero later suffered lung problems. The doctors who conducted that study said they expect thousands to need treatment for 9/11 illnesses, and New York politicians, including Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, have pushed for a $1.9 billion program to treat those workers.

The authors of the new asthma study cautioned the findings are based on self-reporting by those answering their survey questions, so they cannot verify diagnoses or rule out over-reporting by those who responded.

The authors also said there is little pre-existing data on the prevalence of asthma among first responders _ but separate research published by Swiss doctors in March in the medical journal Chest found asthma was "considerably underdiagnosed in firefighters."

The World Trade Center Health Registry was launched in 2003 to track the long-term health effects of ground zero exposure to workers, volunteers, and residents.

© 2007 The Associated Press

Gold9472
08-27-2007, 08:07 PM
That is so 2 hours ago...

http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=84843&postcount=312

Gold9472
08-27-2007, 08:09 PM
FYI simuvac... my "Fallen Hero (http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7547)" thread is where I store all 9/11 Environmental Impact stories... for future reference. Feel free to post there...

simuvac
08-27-2007, 08:17 PM
FYI simuvac... my "Fallen Hero (http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7547)" thread is where I store all 9/11 Environmental Impact stories... for future reference. Feel free to post there...

Oops. Sorry.

Gold9472
08-27-2007, 08:17 PM
No biggie.

AuGmENTor
08-27-2007, 08:19 PM
I read somewhere years ago (maybe 2) that asthma had increased on the whole over 400% since the 1960's. On a more related note, as some of you know, I was at ground zero in the weeks immediately following 911, and suffered no ill effects up until very recently. Within the last 45 days, I have found it very difficult to draw a breath. Not all the time, but at points through the day. It gets scary sometimes. I have been a heavy smoker for 25 years or so, so I thought I'd quit and see if it got any better. Having quit at other points in my life during bronchitis and other things, I know normally I would see a difference in just a few days. Not so this time. After a week, it was just as bad, if not worse than it had been prior to quitting. I mean, it was so bad I was thinking I might just one day die of suffocation. It has stabilized somewhat in the last week or so, so you're still stuck with me. Of course I have no insurance and detest doctors, so if I am to die of this, so be it. Just a happy thought for the day. Jon, I saw your post, and you can feel free to move this to your baby. It can be my eulogy should it come to that. hehe