PDA

View Full Version : Pres. Hopeful Says We Should Bomb Muslim Holy Sites To Show Them "We Mean Business"

Gold9472
08-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Tancredo: Threaten to bomb Muslim holy sites in retaliation

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

(Gold9472: What an idiot. Flushing the Koran down the toilet did wonders for West/Middle East relations.)

8/3/2007

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo’s campaign stood by his assertion that bombing holy Muslim sites would serve as a good “deterrent” to prevent Islamic fundamentalists from attacking the United States, his spokeswoman said Friday.

“This shows that we mean business,” said Bay Buchanan, a senior Tancredo adviser. “There’s no more effective deterrent than that. But he is open-minded and willing to embrace other options. This is just a means to deter them from attacking us.”

On Tuesday, Tancredo warned a group of Iowans that another terrorist attack would “cause a worldwide economic collapse.” IowaPolitics.com recorded his comments.

“If it is up to me, we are going to explain that an attack on this homeland of that nature would be followed by an attack on the holy sites in Mecca and Medina,” Tancredo said. “That is the only thing I can think of that might deter somebody from doing what they would otherwise do. If I am wrong, fine, tell me, and I would be happy to do something else. But you had better find a deterrent, or you will find an attack.”

Tom Casey, a deputy spokesman for the State Department, told CNN’s Elise Labott that the congressman’s comments were “reprehensible” and “absolutely crazy.” Tancredo was widely criticized in 2005 for making a similar suggestion.

beltman713
08-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Not a good thing to go around saying.

AuGmENTor
08-04-2007, 07:43 AM
You can't fix stupid. What pisses me off is that this moron was somehow elected to public office.

Gold9472
08-04-2007, 08:16 AM
US lawmaker's threat to bomb Mecca criticized

http://rawstory.com/news/afp/US_lawmaker_s_threat_to_bomb_Mecca__08032007.html

Published: Friday August 3, 2007

The US State Department denounced Friday a lawmaker's suggestion to threaten an attack on Islamic holy sites in order to deter a nuclear attack on American soil, saying the idea is "absolutely crazy."

"Let me just say that it is absolutely outrageous and reprehensible for anyone to suggest attacks on holy sites -- whether they are Muslim, Christian, Jewish or those of any other religion," Tom Casey, a spokesman for the department, told reporters.

Tom Tancredo, a Republican presidential hopeful, was reported to have said that the best way he could think of to deter a nuclear terrorist attack on the United States was to threaten to retaliate by bombing Islamic holy sites.

"If it is up to me, we are going to explain that an attack on this homeland of that nature would be followed by an attack on the holy sites in Mecca and Medina," Tancredo was quoted saying Tuesday in Iowa by a political website, IowaPolitics.com.

"Beyond the loss of human life and devastation, it would cause a worldwide economic collapse," Tancredo said of a nuclear attack on US soil, according to the website.

Tancredo, a five-term Republican congressman from Colorado, is more popularly known for his hardline stand on illegal immigration.

Following the September 11, 2001 Al-Qaeda terror attacks, the United States is worried about the prospect of terrorists striking again, this time with a nuclear, chemical or biological weapon.

"We and many of our friends, and Muslim friends and allies are all doing what we can to take on extremists and take on terrorism and to somehow suggest that an appropriate response to terrorism would be to attack sites that are holy and sacred to more than a billion people throughout the world is just absolutely crazy," Casey said.

Spokespersons for Tancredo's office could not be immediately contacted, but Casey said the lawmaker's staff had reportedly tried to clarify his comment.

"Certainly, this administration and, for that matter all parties, have always made it very clear that we want to have good, positive relations with countries certainly in the Middle East and broader Muslim world," Casey said.

"Any suggestion that the defense of the American homeland or the defense of American interests would ever justify attacking holy sites or religious sites is just simply an idea that goes against the length or breadth of US history," he said.