PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Concerns Over China Weapons In Iraq

Gold9472
07-07-2007, 06:24 PM
US concerns over China weapons in Iraq

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/82ce0740-2c03-11dc-b498-000b5df10621.html

By Demetri Sevastopulo in Washington
Published: July 6 2007 22:01 | Last updated: July 6 2007 22:01

The US has raised concerns with the Chinese government about the discovery of Chinese-made weapons in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Richard Lawless, departing senior Pentagon official for Asia, on Friday said Washington had flagged the issue with Beijing. In recent months, the US has become increasingly alarmed that Chinese armour-piercing ammunition has been used by the Taliban in Afghanistan and insurgents in Iraq.

A senior US official recently told the FT that Iran appeared to be providing the Chinese-made weapons. He said Washington had no evidence that Beijing was complicit, but stressed that the US would like China to “do a better job of policing these sales”. Mr Lawless said the question of origin was less important than who was facilitating the transfer.

The concerns about Chinese weapons follow months of allegations from US officials that Iran is helping attack US troops in Iraq, and more recently Afghanistan, by providing technology for bombs that can destroy Humvees and other heavily armoured US vehicles.

Mr Lawless also expressed concern about North Korea’s missile programme. Last week, Pyongyang tested a new short-range missile that could target not only the US military base at Pyeongtaek but also Seoul. He said North Korea was close to being able to field the solid-fuel, highly mobile rocket.

Mr Lawless said the US military relationship with China was “overall, not bad”, but there was a need for more engagement between the militaries, particularly at the senior levels. “They have been more willing to engage, but it is in millimetres and increments,” he said.

He said the Pentagon was disappointed that China had not given Admiral Michael Mullen, chief of naval operations, the same kind of access that his Chinese counterpart received during a visit to the US. Adm Mullen, who has since been nominated as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, ended up not visiting China.

Mr Lawless also said it was important for China to hold talks with the US about its nuclear forces. A recent Pentagon report concluded Beijing was developing a more survivable nuclear force, including submarine-launched missiles, and mobile land-based missiles.

Since Presidents Hu Jintao and George W. Bush last year discussed increasing military exchanges, China has not responded to an offer for the commander of its strategic nuclear forces to visit US Strategic Command.

“There is a great shortfall in our understanding of China’s intentions,” said Mr Lawless, referring to the overall Chinese military build-up. “When you don’t know why they are doing it, it is pretty damn threatening . . . they leave us no choice but to assume the worst.”

Mr Lawless also suggested that the Pentagon had refused a request from Japan for extensive data on the F-22 fighter jet. Japan wants the data to consider whether the advanced fighter – which under current law cannot be exported – would meet its defence needs.

Mr Lawless said the Pentagon had offered Japan only basic data, which would not require a change in US law.

beltman713
07-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I would say there are a lot of other countries in conflicts around the world that would like for us to better police sales of US made weapons.

Gold9472
07-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Lebanon for instance.

simuvac
07-07-2007, 10:08 PM
The covert campaign against China is a little too obvious at this point, and I think it has to do with the troubled US dollar.

Take for instance this story in the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/world/asia/08china.html?_r=1&ref=world&oref=slogin

Before Chinese arms were in Iraq, there was tainted toothpaste, dog food, and paint:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0,,2118920,00.html

All of this stuff just suddenly appears, after decades of trading with China?

I'm not buyin' it (literally and figuratively). I think this is a trade war:
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/06/business/NA-FIN-MKT-US-Commodities-Roundup.php

AuGmENTor
07-07-2007, 11:49 PM
I think it's that we don't want none of a world power that can bring the fight to our front door. We make such a big deal of these little shithole countries and their human rights violations, and yet we're buddies with a country that HAS no human rights? I read about horrific things going on over there.

simuvac
07-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Gotta agree with that.

President after President drones on about how evil Cuba is, but slaps hands with the Chinese.

I think this recent stuff is about the trade deficit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/09/business/09cnd-econ.html?ex=1299560400&en=cd9f5ce7fcec81c8&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

"The nation's closely watched trade deficit with China jumped almost 10 percent in January, to $17.9 billion, a development that could further fan protectionist sentiments in Congress where lawmakers from both parties have been pressing the Bush administration to take a tougher stand against Chinese trade and currency policies."

China has America by the balls.