View Full Version : Secret Document: U.S. Fears Terror "Spectacular" Planned

Gold9472
07-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Secret Document: U.S. Fears Terror 'Spectacular' Planned
Official Cites Resemblance to Warnings and Intelligence Before 9/11

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=3336148

By BRIAN ROSS, RHONDA SCHWARTZ and RICHARD ESPOSITO
July 1, 2007

A secret U.S. law enforcement report, prepared for the Department of Homeland Security, warns that al Qaeda is planning a terror "spectacular" this summer, according to a senior official with access to the document.

"This is reminiscent of the warnings and intelligence we were getting in the summer of 2001," the official told ABCNews.com.

U.S. officials have kept the information secret, and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said today on ABC News' "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" that the United States did not have "have any specific credible evidence that there's an attack focused on the United States at this point."

As ABCNews.com reported, U.S. law enforcement officials received intelligence reports two weeks ago warning of terror attacks in Glasgow and Prague, the Czech Republic, against "airport infrastructure and aircraft."

The warnings apparently never reached officials in Scotland, who said this weekend they had received "no advance intelligence" that Glasgow might be a target.

Homeland Security Secretary Chertoff declined to comment specifically on on the report today, but said "everything that we get is shared virtually instantaneously with our counterparts in Britain and vice versa."

Unlike the United States, officials in Germany have publicly warned that the country could face a major attack this summer, also comparing the situation to the pre-9/11 summer of 2001.

Gold9472
07-01-2007, 10:30 PM
I don't want to promote unsubstantiated theories of mine about what's going on, but I think we're living in dangerous times.

In fact, I would guess that if something were to happen within the U.S., it will happen soon. Maybe very soon.

simuvac
07-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I've been trying to imagine for some time how Bush and Cheney would weigh the pros and cons of a second terror attack on their watch, and I've decided that they are meglomaniacal enough to believe not only that it will work again, but that it is necessary as well.

They'll have to do it before the new year, and by the volume of these "terror alerts" and bogus preambles like Glasgow and London, it seems like the summer is the plan. I'm sure military types would have more strategic considerations in mind, but the propaganda seems to be heating up.

Gold9472
07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Or, they want us to be fearful. "We're" (the 9/11 Truth Movement) fearful that Cheney will strike us, and "they're" (the regular public) fearful that the terrorists will strike us. However, I do think something is coming regardless of the paranoia.

PhilosophyGenius
07-02-2007, 12:57 AM
One could argue that they won't allow another attack because they would lose there whole "we haven't been hit again because we're fighting them over there (Iraq) rather than over here" line and national security isn't Bush's only card.

But staged or not, I don't think we're gonna get hit again by anyone.

simuvac
07-02-2007, 02:04 AM
True, the risk they run by staging another attack is that people will lose (even more) confidence in their ability to lead. They could also destroy the Republican party for generations.

But I don't think it would play out that way. I think most Americans would warm up to the most militaristic dictator they could find, in the event of another attack (say, even a nuclear explosion). And the Republicans are stacked with wackos like that. The Dems don't have anyone with truly fascist credentials AND the image to boot (some will say Hilary, but America would never elect a woman following a second 9/11).

I think enough people would overlook the fact that the second one happened on their watch (heck, most overlook the fact that 9/11 happened on Bush's watch -- shoot, they've convinced half the country that Bill Clinton trained Mohammed Atta). In that case, it would be advantage Repubs (who, let's face it, have been the party of power for almost 40 years now -- there is no real opposition).

See, I think when you say a second 9/11 would backfire on the Repubs, you're thinking like an intelligent person who pays attention to stuff. Politics isn't for people like you. It's for the people who watch Fox News and Entertainment Tonight on a daily basis. The party machinery doesn't have to convince you; it just has to get a few million evangelicals to vote (because they'll see the next 9/11 as a Holy War for sure), and then rig the voting machines for the rest. The upper middle class corporate drones will continue to vote Republican, no matter what.

That's what I think will happen. What I HOPE will happen is that another 9/11 will have a catalyzing effect on the populace, and it will shock them into open rebellion. Another 9/11 could go either way. I hope our activism helps set the stage for what I HOPE happens.

AuGmENTor
07-02-2007, 07:20 AM
"This is reminiscent of the warnings and intelligence we were getting in the summer of 2001," the official told ABCNews.com. With raised eyebrows I ask, 'I thought "there was no way we could have known"'

What I HOPE will happen is that another 9/11 will have a catalyzing effect on the populace, and it will shock them into open rebellion. Another 9/11 could go either way. I hope our activism helps set the stage for what I HOPE happens.
My hopes exactly...