PDA

View Full Version : North Korea Could Strike US

Gold9472
04-29-2005, 08:45 AM
North Korea Could Strike US

29/04/2005 07:57 - (SA)

Washington - North Korea is able to mount a nuclear warhead on missiles that could hit the United States, a senior US defence official said on Thursday in a startling assessment of the hardline communist state's military capability.

Vice Admiral Lowell Jacoby, the head of the Defence Intelligence Agency, gave the assessment while answering questions during a Congressional hearing.

Asked by Democratic Senator Hillary Clinton whether North Korea had the ability to arm a missile with a nuclear device, Jacoby said: "The assessment is that they have the capability to do that, yes, ma'am."

He said that North Korea also had the ability to deploy a two-stage intercontinental missile that could successfully hit US territory.

Concern

"Assessed to be within their capacity, yes," Jacoby told Clinton when asked if a two-stage intercontinental missile strike was "already within their operational capacity."

Questioned on the possible target range of the missiles and whether they could reach the West Coast of the United States, Jacoby said he needed to look at the range arcs but added: "It's certainly Alaska and Hawaii, and I believe a portion of the Northwest."

It is believed to be the first time a US government official is publicly saying that North Korea has the technology to add a nuclear device to a missile.

His remarks at the hearing on the defence intelligence budget of the US Senate Armed Services Committee alarmed the wife of former President Clinton.

"It is troubling beyond words that we have testimony like that at this time," said the Democratic Senator from New York as she suggested that the Bush administration's policy on ending North Korea's nuclear weapons drive does not seem to be working.

"There is that old saying, you know, if you're in a hole, quit digging. And this administration just keeps getting bigger shovels, and it bothers me greatly," Clinton said.

President George W Bush admitted on Thursday "there is concern" about North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il's capacity "to deliver a nuclear weapon."

"We don't know if he can or not, but I think it is best when you're dealing with a tyrant like Kim Jong-Il to assume he can," he told a news conference.

Bush said however that negotiations were still the best way to reign in North Korea's nuclear arms programme and tougher action would require consensus among regional allies.

He signalled he would have to consult with other partners to the talks - China, Japan, South Korea and Russia - before mulling tougher measures such as taking the matter to the UN Security Council.

Bush said that the North Korean threat was among reasons for the US move to establish a missile defence system.

"Perhaps Kim Jong-Il has the capacity to launch a weapon and wouldn't it be nice to shoot it down?" he said. "And so we got a comprehensive strategy in dealing with him."

North Korea announced in February that it possessed nuclear arms.

EmceeSoze
04-29-2005, 10:36 AM
North Korea blah, blah, blah

Time to put this fantasy to bed. Goodnight

princesskittypoo
04-29-2005, 03:07 PM
i don't want to be at war with any more countries! *has hissy fit*

somebigguy
04-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Nobody is falling for this old scam again...

I thought Iraq had WMDs too...

Gold9472
04-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Actually... I do think they have Nuclear Weapons...

somebigguy
04-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Actually... I do think they have Nuclear Weapons...
And I wouldn't blame them.

They need to protect themselves from a more and more aggressive U.S.

Gold9472
04-29-2005, 09:15 PM
And I wouldn't blame them.

They need to protect themselves from a more and more aggressive U.S.

I think all Nukes should be destroyed. Sent into space to explode in a massive display... it would be cool.

danceyogamom
04-29-2005, 09:42 PM
I think all Nukes should be destroyed. Sent into space to explode in a massive display... it would be cool.

we'd have to send them pretty far out before it wouldn't have some kind of residual effect on our world in some form or another

Gold9472
04-29-2005, 09:52 PM
we'd have to send them pretty far out before it wouldn't have some kind of residual effect on our world in some form or another

Absolutely... out of the galaxy... Some 10 year journey or something...

Gold9472
04-29-2005, 09:54 PM
In the grand perspective of the universe, all of our Nukes going off is the equivalent of me farting.

somebigguy
04-29-2005, 09:57 PM
In the grand perspective of the universe, all of our Nukes going off is the equivalent of me farting.
yeah, well your ass is so loose, its more like a brisk wind, then a fart.

danceyogamom
04-29-2005, 09:58 PM

in the grand perspective of the universe - life on earth is equivalent to my birth. Kinda cool in the whole, life is a miracle thing ... but not that remarkable to the overall scheme of things.

That still doesn't mean we want those nukes messing with our little corner of it all

danceyogamom
04-29-2005, 09:59 PM

oh ... harsh!

are you complaining about gold's ass?

Gold9472
04-29-2005, 10:04 PM

Dude... my fart's are LOUD.

danceyogamom
04-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Dude... my fart's are LOUD.

can we go back to the nukes now?

Gold9472
04-29-2005, 10:24 PM
can we go back to the nukes now?

yes...

somebigguy
04-29-2005, 10:28 PM
oh ... harsh!

are you complaining about gold's ass?
I'm not complaining about his ass. Just stating the fact that his cheeks flap like Prince Charles in a wind storm.

Gold9472
04-29-2005, 10:30 PM
I'm not complaining about his ass. Just stating the fact that his cheeks flap like Prince Charles in a wind storm.

Try to stay on topic is what she's saying... dumb ass...

I think we should destroy all the nukes in the world. Maybe even consider destroying all weapons. What would that be like?

pcteaser
04-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Try to stay on topic is what she's saying... dumb ass...

I think we should destroy all the nukes in the world. Maybe even consider destroying all weapons. What would that be like?

People will always find a way to hurt others. Get rid of all the weapons and you'll see people walking around with baseball bats instead. Or golf clubs...

Gold9472
04-29-2005, 10:37 PM
People will always find a way to hurt others. Get rid of all the weapons and you'll see people walking around with baseball bats instead. Or golf clubs...

All we gotta do is love... Joe Cocker...

princesskittypoo
04-29-2005, 11:00 PM
All we gotta do is love... Joe Cocker...
Hard to do when there are so many people trying to blow you up with their nukes.

pcteaser
04-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Hard to do when there are so many people trying to blow you up with their nukes.

Who's trying to blow us up with their nukes?

princesskittypoo
04-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Who's trying to blow us up with their nukes?
haven't you heard? iraq had nukes, iran is getting nukes, cuba.... now north korea want to shove some up here too.

pcteaser
04-30-2005, 01:31 PM
I remember something about Iraq having WMD's and us not finding them. Iran is trying to get enriched uranium, but as far as I know has no nukes yet (I may be misinformed, hence why I asked) and as for N. Korea... as of yet I haven't heard of them threatening the US with nukes.

somebigguy
04-30-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm not falling for that old scam again.

Gold9472
04-30-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm not falling for that old scam again.

You're too smart for that.
:fred:

somebigguy
04-30-2005, 09:03 PM
You're too smart for that.
:fred:
Thats right. Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me twice, you can't get fooled again.

Gold9472
04-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Thats right. Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me twice, you can't get fooled again.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!