PDA

View Full Version : Eyewitness: Hitler's Last Days

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Eyewitness: Hitler's last days

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4486379.stm

(Gold9472: I thought this was interesting)

By Rob Broomby
BBC News

Bernd Freytag von Loringhoven, 91, is one of the last living eyewitnesses to Hitler's final days.

He escaped Hitler's bunker just 24 hours before the dictator shot himself.

As an aide to army chiefs he had had daily contact with Hitler.

He describes the order to join his boss Gen Krebs in Hitler's bunker, just over a week before the dictator's suicide, as a death sentence.

He had already survived the fighting on the Russian front and was one of a few to escape from Stalingrad.

He met Hitler for the first time in July 1944. His predecessor had been executed for his part in the bomb plot against Hitler.

The young Maj Freytag von Loringhoven, who was not a Nazi party supporter, says he was "completely flabbergasted" when he saw Hitler just days after the blast.

"I had the image of a very strong, vital person with charisma, but what I saw was a sick old man. His right arm was injured by the attempt and his figure had changed, his head was sunk into his shoulders.

"His left hand was very weak and his left foot dragged behind him."

As for reports that Hitler had had a charismatic spell, he says: "I felt nothing, the eyes were pale and without any expression anymore."

He said he was surprised that Germany was in the hands of such a "sick prematurely old man".

Dying days

Inside the bunker he describes wild mood swings. There would be a temporary explosion of hope and then confidence would collapse again. The main topic of conversation was suicide - whether they should take cyanide pills or shoot themselves in the head when the Russians arrived.

He also recalls the drunkenness in the bunker, but not the orgies that some accounts speak of. He says he was too busy preparing for situation conferences.

When he met Hitler's mistress Eva Braun - soon to be the Fuhrer's wife - he had no idea who she was. The Nazi elite had been very discreet.

Just days before the end, Magda Goebbels, the wife of Hitler's Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels, arrived with her six children.

They would later be poisoned by their parents in the bunker with the help of an SS doctor.

He recalls their pale faces peering out in fear from inside their dark coats.

"When I saw these poor children it pressed my heart," he says.

But he there was no chance to get out.

News that his trusted SS Chief Heinrich Himmler had made peace feelers to the Allies had a devastating affect on Hitler in the final days.

"This was like a bomb. Hitler called it treason," the former major says.

'Ice cold'

But with his work done, just 24 hours before Hitler's suicide, Maj Freytag von Loringhoven was given permission to break out.

He said he had no wish to die "like a rat in the bunker". He took his leave from Hitler with one last meeting which lasted around 20 minutes.

"I personally got the impression that he was a bit envious," he says. "We were 29 or 30 years old and we had a chance to get out because we were sound and young and he had no chance because he was a wreck."

He disputes portrayals of Hitler as raving and foaming at the mouth in the final days.

"I was present at these rages but they were not so excessive," he says.

He never saw him screaming with anger but says he could be "ice cold in his expressions and very aggressive, especially towards the generals".

Hitler was by the end resigned to his fate. His Reich, which was to have lasted 1,000 years, was in ruins.

But looking back, one thing still puzzles him. Hitler, he says, "was still so quiet and realistic just 24 hours before he shot himself".

The young officer escaped, was captured by the western Allies and held as a prisoner of war. He re-joined the army in 1956 and later served Germany in Nato.

He maintains that the divide between the army and the Nazi elite was very real and that although there were rumours, no-one discussed the fate of the Jews in top military circles. It was "taboo" he says.

Asked for his abiding memory of Hitler 60 years on? He pauses at first, then says simply: "He was a terrible creation. Yes, a being, but a being full of evil and cruelty... he was a monster."

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Beltman...

Who did he declare war on?

beltman713
04-26-2005, 06:52 PM
The U.S.!

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 06:53 PM
The U.S.!

Very good Beltman.

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 06:53 PM
God forbid one day you get it wrong.

beltman713
04-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Worst mistake that fucker ever made.

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Worst mistake that fucker ever made.

There are rumors that Stalin was actually the one to find his body.

beltman713
04-26-2005, 06:58 PM
There are rumors that Stalin was actually the one to find his body.
I wonder if Stalin skull fucked his still smoking corpse?

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 07:00 PM
I wonder if Stalin skull fucked his corpse?

I just want all those morons who thought the Ayrian race was the greatest, to read this, and see that he was a feeble old man by the time he came to kill himself. A feeble, old, delusional man.

beltman713
04-26-2005, 07:04 PM
I just want all those morons who thought the Ayrian race was the greatest, to read this, and see that he was a feeble old man by the time he came to kill himself. A feeble, old, delusional man.
Superiority seems to be the mistake all empires make. Then in the end they find out differently.

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Superiority seems to be the mistake all empires make. Then in the end they find out differently.

No... I want those individuals who STILL think that way to read this... They exist.

beltman713
04-26-2005, 07:07 PM
No... I want those individuals who STILL think that way to read this... They exist.
Oh yeah, this country is fucking thick with them.

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Oh yeah, this country is fucking thick with them.

Yep... we had a Nazi rally here not too long ago in Valley Forge Park. Students from the local university were told to attend by their school. Supposedly to hear what they have to say, and report on it.

beltman713
04-26-2005, 07:19 PM
It's weird, but I don't remember ever hear of any Nazis around here. It's been a while since I've heard anything about the kkk around here either.

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 07:20 PM
It's weird, but I don't remember ever hear of any Nazis around here. It's been a while since I've heard anything about the kkk around here either.

They all moved to the White House.

beltman713
04-26-2005, 07:22 PM
lol!

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 07:23 PM
lol!

Yeah, that was pretty funny...
:bigclap:

beltman713
04-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Maybe 60 or 70 years from now, there will be someone from the Bush administration giving a similar account of his last days.

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Maybe 60 or 70 years from now, there will be someone from the Bush administration giving a similar account of his last days.

What do you think went through my mind as I read this... I WISH

beltman713
04-26-2005, 07:36 PM
I think his days are numbered. I think all this shit will catch up to him, like an avalanche, and he will be buried by it.

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 07:38 PM
I think his days are numbered. I think all this shit will catch up to him, like an avalanche, and he will be buried by it.

Eric Hufschmid told me last night... the minute "9/11 Truth" breaks on CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc... is when the game is over. We'll see.

princesskittypoo
04-26-2005, 07:39 PM
the kkk still exist down here. they just took on different names so that normal folk don't realize they are actually still around. there's a group called "the knights of columbus" around here... i though (stupidly) that they were just a organization of guys trying to help little kids out, cause when i saw them they were taking up donations in front of a well known chain store for kids with disabilities. later on i found out that the knights of columbus are the kkk.

somebigguy
04-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Eric Hufschmid told me last night... the minute "9/11 Truth" breaks on CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc... is when the game is over. We'll see.
You talk to Hufschmidt often? He's pretty damn sure 77 didn't hit the pentagon. Doesn't that make him a disinfo?

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 07:41 PM
the kkk still exist down here. they just took on different names so that normal folk don't realize they are actually still around. there's a group called "the knights of columbus" around here... i though (stupidly) that they were just a organization of guys trying to help little kids out, cause when i saw them they were taking up donations in front of a well known chain store for kids with disabilities. later on i found out that the knights of columbus are the kkk.

All the Knights Of Columbus? There are a few of their buildings around where I live. The Knights Of Pythius, The Shriners, The Masons, I'm surrounded by secret societies.

Gold9472
04-26-2005, 07:42 PM
You talk to Hufschmidt often? He's pretty damn sure 77 didn't hit the pentagon. Doesn't that make him a disinfo?

I talk to him all the time... why would that make him disinfo? Because he has doubts about the Pentagon? Doesn't everybody?

beltman713
04-26-2005, 07:43 PM
He has been getting away with murder for years, even as governor, but he will go just a little too far for the average American to accept. He will do something that will bring the whole house of cards down. Then all the stuff he has been doing will just be piled onto it.

somebigguy
04-26-2005, 07:43 PM
I talk to him all the time... why would that make him disinfo? Because he has doubts about the Pentagon? Doesn't everybody?
I'm just buggin ya!!!

I agree with that statement, once this news breaks on the main networks, it's over. It will steamroll this administration. And I think this will happen soon, it just seems like were at the tipping point.

princesskittypoo
04-26-2005, 07:44 PM
All the Knights Of Columbus? There are a few of their buildings around where I live. The Knights Of Pythius, The Shriners, The Masons, I'm surrounded by secret societies.
i don't know if all the knights are but i know that the knights of columbus (in my state) is.