Gold9472
05-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Mysterious killer wipes out nation's honeybees
Loss of pollination could have devastating impact on U.S. food

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070503/NEWS07/705030358

BY SETH BORENSTEIN
ASSOCIATED PRESS
May 3, 2007

BELTSVILLE, Md. -- Unless someone or something stops it soon, the mysterious killer that is wiping out many of the nation's honeybees could have a devastating effect on America's dinner plate.

Honeybees don't just make honey; they pollinate more than 90 of the tastiest flowering crops Americans have.

Among them: apples, nuts, avocados, soybeans, asparagus, broccoli, celery, squash and cucumbers. And lots of the really sweet and tart stuff, too, including citrus fruit, peaches, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, cantaloupe and other melons.

About one-third of the human diet comes from insect-pollinated plants, and the honeybee is responsible for 80% of that pollination, says the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Even cattle, which feed on alfalfa, depend on bees. So if the collapse worsens, people could end up being "stuck with grains and water," said Kevin Hackett, national program leader for the USDA bee and pollination program. "This is the biggest general threat to our food supply."

While not all scientists foresee a food crisis, noting that large-scale bee die-offs have happened before, this one seems particularly alarming.

U.S. beekeepers in recent months have lost one-quarter of their colonies -- about five times the normal winter losses -- because of Colony Collapse Disorder.

The problem started in November and seems to have spread to 27 states, with similar collapses reported in Brazil, Canada and parts of Europe.

Scientists are struggling to figure out what is killing the honeybees, and early results of a study this week point to some kind of disease or parasite.

Even before this disorder struck, U.S. honeybees were in trouble. Their numbers were steadily shrinking, because their genes do not equip them to fight poisons and disease well and because their gregarious nature exposes them to ailments afflicting thousands of their close cousins.

"Quite frankly, the question is whether the bees can weather this perfect storm," Hackett said. "Do they have the resilience to bounce back? We'll know probably by the end of the summer."

Experts from Brazil and Europe have joined in the detective work at the USDA's bee lab in suburban Washington.

"This crisis threatens to wipe out production of crops dependent on bees for pollination," Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said.

Declining honeybees a ‘threat’ to food supply
U.S. dependent on insects to pollinate about one-third of crops

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18442426/

Updated: 5:00 p.m. ET May 2, 2007

BELTSVILLE, Md. - Unless someone or something stops it soon, the mysterious killer that is wiping out many of the nation's honeybees could have a devastating effect on America's dinner plate, perhaps even reducing us to a glorified bread-and-water diet.

Honeybees don't just make honey; they pollinate more than 90 of the tastiest flowering crops we have.

Among them: apples, nuts, avocados, soybeans, asparagus, broccoli, celery, squash and cucumbers. And lots of the really sweet and tart stuff, too, including citrus fruit, peaches, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, cantaloupe and other melons.

In fact, about one-third of the human diet comes from insect-pollinated plants, and the honeybee is responsible for 80 percent of that pollination, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Even cattle, which feed on alfalfa, depend on bees. So if the collapse worsens, we could end up being "stuck with grains and water," said Kevin Hackett, the national program leader for USDA's bee and pollination program.

"This is the biggest general threat to our food supply," Hackett said.

Colony Collapse Disorder
While not all scientists foresee a food crisis, noting that large-scale bee die-offs have happened before, this one seems particularly baffling and alarming.

U.S. beekeepers in the past few months have lost one-quarter of their colonies — or about five times the normal winter losses — because of what scientists have dubbed Colony Collapse Disorder. The problem started in November and seems to have spread to 27 states, with similar collapses reported in Brazil, Canada and parts of Europe.

Scientists are struggling to figure out what is killing the honeybees, and early results of a key study this week point to some kind of disease or parasite.

Even before this disorder struck, America's honeybees were in trouble. Their numbers were steadily shrinking, because their genes do not equip them to fight poisons and disease very well, and because their gregarious nature exposes them to ailments that afflict thousands of their close cousins.

"Quite frankly, the question is whether the bees can weather this perfect storm," Hackett said. "Do they have the resilience to bounce back? We'll know probably by the end of the summer."

Experts from Brazil and Europe have joined in the detective work at USDA's bee lab in suburban Washington. In recent weeks, Hackett briefed Vice President Cheney's office on the problem. Congress has held hearings on the matter.

"This crisis threatens to wipe out production of crops dependent on bees for pollination," Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said in a statement.

A congressional study said honeybees add about $15 billion a year in value to our food supply.

PhilosophyGenius
05-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Could be a major threat to all in the animal kingdom as well.

thumper
05-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Daniel Ott talked about it.

im scurred

AuGmENTor
05-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Daniel Ott talked about it.

im scurredFigure out an illuminati connection yet? BTW, WTF are you always doin in your user profile?

thumper
05-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Figure out an illuminati connection yet? BTW, WTF are you always doin in your user profile?no yet, but there probably is one.

do u mean what my avatar is doing?

AuGmENTor
05-04-2007, 07:10 PM
No, what I mean is that you are ALWAYS doing something with your profile, and yet it never seems to change. I'm just being nosy, so don't get all bent...

PhilosophyGenius
05-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Fo realz, whenever I look behind the curtains thumper is always in his user profile.

AuGmENTor
05-04-2007, 07:56 PM
I know, "changing, close your eyes..." And yet NOTHING changes...

PhilosophyGenius
05-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Explain yourself thumper!

:mad:

thumper
05-05-2007, 12:45 AM
i click on my threads instead of using the User CP i guess :(

thumper
05-05-2007, 12:45 AM
or maybe its the fact that i never log off?