PDA

View Full Version : Elton John To Wed Longtime Partner

Gold9472
04-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Elton John to wed longtime partner
Ceremony planned for December, when law changes in Britain

Updated: 10:20 a.m. ET April 25, 2005
LONDON - British pop star Elton John intends to marry his long-term partner David Furnish some time this year or in 2006, his publicist said on Monday.

The singer told the Mirror tabloid that he and Furnish wanted to hold a civil partnership ceremony in Windsor, near London, in mid-December, although publicist Gary Farrow said John had added it could take place some time next year.

“He (John) said that it may be by Christmas and it may be next year,” Farrow told Reuters.

He added that one of John’s main motivations for going ahead with the ceremony was financial.

Civil partnerships between gay couples will be allowed in Britain from December 5 and give partners tax breaks available to married couples.

John, 58, and Furnish, 42, have been partners for more than 11 years. A Web site recently speculated the couple was splitting up, prompting Furnish to say that they had “never been happier”.

John told the Mirror that Furnish should not expect many of the trappings of a regular marriage.

“There will be no honeymoon. I’m on tour,” he said.

John has sold tens of millions of records worldwide and is best known for classic tracks including “Candle in the Wind” and “Rocket Man”.

He has signed an agreement to perform 75 shows over three years in Las Vegas and is also touring the United States, Europe and Canada over the coming months.

John, born Reginald Kenneth Dwight, previously married German music engineer Renate Blauel in 1984. She and John divorced four years later.

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

Gold9472
04-25-2005, 10:46 PM
I only posted this because I didn't know that Britain was going to legalize "Gay Marriage". Good for them.

WhiteGuySaysThis
04-25-2005, 10:49 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO... I thought he loved me!!!!!!
How can you not love my baby face.

Gold9472
04-25-2005, 10:50 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO... I thought he loved me!!!!!!
How can you not love my baby face.

It's ok man. There's still Mick Jagger.

miss_muffet
04-25-2005, 10:54 PM
now the U.S. needs to follow suit and do the same about gay marriage.

laurabears
04-25-2005, 10:57 PM
now the U.S. needs to follow suit and do the same about gay marriage.

Like that will ever happen . . . fucking Ohio managed to pass their anti-all unions that are not a man and woman getting married law last election.

Gold9472
04-25-2005, 10:58 PM
The thing I think is funny is that Britain's Catholics are "old school" Catholics, and yet, they still managed to change the law.

WhiteGuySaysThis
04-25-2005, 10:59 PM
Like that will ever happen . . . fucking Ohio managed to pass their anti-all unions that are not a man and woman getting married law last election.YEA!!! Damn them fucking Ohioans. First the fuck up the election and then the gay marriage thing!

laurabears
04-25-2005, 11:01 PM
I am not very happy with them right now even if I was born there . . . i proudly say that I voted against that stupid law! It not only banned gay marriage but also any civil unions what so ever . . . even heterosexual ones~!

WhiteGuySaysThis
04-25-2005, 11:03 PM
WHAT?! I just married my "life partner" here in Ohio. You know him as Gold9472.

miss_muffet
04-26-2005, 12:14 AM
WHAT?! I just married my "life partner" here in Ohio. You know him as Gold9472.
glad that you all will be living happily ever after.
did you hear about texas trying to pass law that gays and lesbians will not be able to be foster parents, and that all foster children with gay and lesbian foster parents will be taken out of the home.

WhiteGuySaysThis
04-26-2005, 12:30 AM
I was just kidding about marrying Gold9472. I'm actually straight.
I heard about trying to pass a law forbidding homosexual couples from adopting, I didn't know that they were trying to take the kids away though. That is just sad.

danceyogamom
04-26-2005, 12:50 AM
The thing I think is funny is that Britain's Catholics are "old school" Catholics, and yet, they still managed to change the law.

I'm not sure its the Catholic church that is the main driving force behind the ban on gay marrages in the US.

Not to say that they condone gay marriage. But the priests I have talked with all say (without saying) that it doesn't matter much to them.

but once again, I'd like to take this opportunity to ask "why does it matter?" I fail to see in any form how gay people getting married to other gay people effects anyone else ... at all.

Its not like they are running around stealing all the straight people to keep them from marriage and procreation.

The fact that gay marriage is even a debate drives me crazy.

laurabears
04-26-2005, 11:04 AM
I agree . . . It should not be an issue!

miss_muffet
04-26-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure its the Catholic church that is the main driving force behind the ban on gay marrages in the US.

Not to say that they condone gay marriage. But the priests I have talked with all say (without saying) that it doesn't matter much to them.

but once again, I'd like to take this opportunity to ask "why does it matter?" I fail to see in any form how gay people getting married to other gay people effects anyone else ... at all.

Its not like they are running around stealing all the straight people to keep them from marriage and procreation.

The fact that gay marriage is even a debate drives me crazy.

I really agree with you on this one. Wholeheartedly. I really don't beleive it is the Catholic church behind this, and I would love for gay marriage to be legal.

beltman713
04-26-2005, 08:15 PM
I think South Carolina was going to do away with common law marriage. I think in South Carolina, a couple can just declare themselves married and they are considered married. So this could also apply the gays, I don't know. But I think maybe they are closing a possible loophole.

somebigguy
04-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Wow, Elton John is marrying his life partner.

That means John Gold will be changing his name to John John!!!

Congratulations!!!!