PDA

View Full Version : Mystery As "9/11" Cop Vanishes

Gold9472
04-26-2007, 07:35 PM
MYSTERY AS '9/11' COP VANISHES

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04262007/news/regionalnews/mystery_as_9_11_cop_vanishes_regionalnews_perry_ch iaramonte.htm

By PERRY CHIARAMONTE

April 26, 2007 -- A hero cop who was traumatized trying to rescue colleagues lost in the 9/11 attacks has mysteriously vanished, police said yesterday.

Port Authority Officer Ender Guclen, 33, has been on medical leave for about a year, suffering from posttraumatic stress disorder, according to a source familiar with his case.

A seven-year veteran of the PA, Guclen had worked at Ground Zero searching through the rubble for the bodies of colleagues.

He was later assigned to the Joint Terrorism Task Force, but had recently asked to be taken off of that special duty, the source said.

"He just wanted to be a regular cop again," said the source.

"He's a sharp kid."

Guclen is divorced with no children.

He was last seen near East 26th Street in Brooklyn's Sheepshead Bay on Monday.

Cops said he may be driving a 2000 silver Hyundai Accent with the license plate BXK-1005.

Guclen sports a Turkish-flag tattoo on his left arm.

He was last seen wearing a red shirt, blue pants and black sneakers.

Police said it does not appear the missing officer is the victim of a crime.

perry.chiaramonte@nypost.com

Gold9472
04-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Police Seeking Missing Brooklyn Man, 33

http://1010wins.com/pages/389483.php?contentType=4&contentId=442409

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Police are looking for the public's help in finding a missing Brooklyn man.

Ender Guclen, 33, was last seen Monday on East 26th Street in the Sheepshead Bay area. Police said he may be travelling in a 2000 silver Hyundai Accent. The license plate number is: BXK-1005.

Guclen is 5'7" tall, and weighs approximately 270 lbs. He was last seen wearing a red shirt with lettering on it, blue pants and black sneakers. He has a tattoo of the Turkish flag on his left arm.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call police at 1800-577-TIPS or 1800-577-8477. All calls will be kept confidential.

Gold9472
05-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Troubled cop traced to Pike from New York: 9/11 sparked depression

http://news.bostonherald.com/images/localRegional/cop_ltp04282007.jpg

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=197278&srvc=home

By Michele McPhee
Boston Herald Police Bureau Chief
Saturday, April 28, 2007 - Updated: 10:46 AM EST

A suicidal detective from Brooklyn, New York who spent months digging in the rubble at Ground Zero for the remains of fellow cops killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks has mysteriously vanished and investigators are desperately searching for him in Massachusetts, the Herald has learned.

Frank “Ender” Guclen, 33, a New Jersey Port Authority detective who was assigned to the elite Joint Terrorist Task Force, was reported missing by his parents in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, on Tuesday, hours after he told his mother: “I hope my son remembers me,” an NYPD source said yesterday.

A day later, his E-Z Pass toll transponder recorded Guclen passing through the Millbury Exit 11 toll on the Mass Pike. Yesterday, he apparently used his credit card to purchase underwear and socks at a nearby Target store, a law enforcement source said.

A missing person’s poster released by the Port Authority Police Department yesterday said that Guclen has a “history of depression and is suicidal.”

Yesterday, a fellow cop said Guclen had developed mental health problems related to 9/11.

In the harrowing days after the World Trade Center towers collapsed, Guclen was assigned to what was referred to as “The Pile,” where cops and firefighters spent months digging through 16 acres of twisted steel and debris with small, hand-held spades looking for the remains of “MOS” - or missing “Members of Service.”

There were 343 FDNY firefighters; 23 NYPD cops; and 37 Port Authority officers killed responding to the deadliest terrorist attack on American soil.

On Sept. 26, 2001, Guclen was interviewed by the New Jersey Star Ledger after he spent a night pouring through the rubble. At the time, there were thousands of people still missing in the debris. “You ever see the movie ‘Groundhog Day’? It’s just like that. You do the same thing over and over, and it never changes,” Guclen said.

A Port Authority spokesman said that Guclen had been out on a stress-related medical leave for about a year before he disappeared, but declined to be more specific. Before that, Guclen, who joined the Port Authority police in 1999, was assigned to the Joint Terrorist Task Force responsible for investigating and preventing terrorist attacks.

“We are very concerned about Frank. We are working closely with the NYPD to try to find him,” said PAPD spokesman Mark Lavorgna.

Lavorgna said that the department had “a number of officers who experienced debilitating mental health problems due to the traumatic events of 9/11.”

In 2002, FDNY firefighter Gary Celentani, 33, placed pictures of firefighter and cop friends who died on 9/11 in the basement of his home, set them up in a shrine and shot himself. A year later, an FDNY medic, Daniel Stewart, 27, who spent months looking for corpses at Ground Zero, hung himself.

Guclen is 5 feet, 7 inches tall, weighs 270 pounds and has hazel eyes, short black hair and olive skin. He speaks fluent Turkish and has a flag from that country tattooed on his arm. He is driving a gray 2000 Hyundai Accent with New York plate BXK1005.

Anyone with information about his whereabouts is asked to call 973-961-6300.

AuGmENTor
05-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Sounds like he had his fill of the Big Apple. Alot of us just got the hell out of there. In the weeks that followe 911, a bunch of us talked about moving away. My life was such a mess anyway, I left as soon as I left ground zero. Just packed up and moved up here. I admire him for even staying as long as he did...

Chana3812
05-10-2007, 04:07 PM
maybe he was suicided ... because he knew too much

just a thought

Gold9472
05-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Has this guy been found?

AuGmENTor
05-23-2007, 08:07 PM
I haven't seen anything saying he was.