PDA

View Full Version : Gunman killed after deadly Virginia Tech rampage That Kills 31

beltman713
04-16-2007, 03:01 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

Gunman killed after deadly Virginia Tech rampage

(CNN) -- A lone gunman is dead after police said he killed at least 21 people Monday during shootings in a dorm and a classroom at Virginia Tech -- the deadliest school attack in U.S. history.

Government officials told The Associated Press that the death toll had grown to 31, including the gunman. CNN is working to confirm the report.

"Some victims were shot in a classroom," university police Chief Wendell Flinchum said during a news conference in Blacksburg.

Police believe there was only one gunman, Flinchum said. (Watch the police chief explain where bodies were found Video)

Spokespersons for hospitals in Roanoke, Christiansburg, Blacksburg and Salem told CNN that they were treating 29 people from the shootings.

Sharon Honaker with Carilion New River Medical Center in Christiansburg said one of the four gunshot victims being treated there was in critical condition.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said university President Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified." (Map of Blacksburg)

The killings mark the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history, surpassing attacks at Columbine High School in 1999 and at the University of Texas in 1966.

One person was killed and others were wounded at multiple locations inside a dormitory about 7:15 a.m., Flinchum said. Two hours later, another shooting at Norris Hall, the engineering science and mechanics building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported. (Campus map)

The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a coed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on the 2,600-acre campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.

Amie Steele, editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, said one of her reporters at the dormitory reported "mass chaos."

The reporter said there were "lots of students running around, going crazy, and the police officers were trying to settle everyone down and keep everything under control," according to Steele. (Watch police, ambulances hustle to the scene Video)

Kristyn Heiser said she was in class about 9:30 a.m. when she and her classmates saw about six gun-wielding police officers run by a window.

"We were like, 'What's going on?' Because this definitely is a quaint town where stuff doesn't really happen. It's pretty boring here," said Heiser during a phone interview as she sat on her classroom floor.

Student reports 'mayhem'

Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.

"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.

Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem." (Watch a student's recording of police responding to loud bangs Video)

"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top-story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

Madison Van Duyne said she and her classmates in a media writing class were on "lockdown" in their classrooms. They were huddled in the middle of the classroom, writing stories about the shootings and posting them online.

The university is updating its more than 26,000 students through e-mails, and an Internet webcam is broadcasting live pictures of the campus.

The shootings came three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

Last August, the first day of classes was cut short by a manhunt after an escaped prisoner was accused of killing a security guard at a Blacksburg hospital and a sheriff's deputy.

After the Monday shootings, students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.

The university has scheduled a convocation for 2 p.m. ET Tuesday.

Before Monday, the deadliest school shootings came in 1966 and 1999.

In the former, Charles Joseph Whitman, a 25-year-old ex-Marine, killed 13 people on the University of Texas campus. He was killed by police.

In 1999, 17-year-old Dylan Klebold and 18-year-old Eric Harris -- armed with guns and pipe bombs -- killed 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado.

Gold9472
04-16-2007, 06:02 PM
prisonplanet just posted an "inside job" story to this. Please don't post it.

beltman713
04-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Yes, I saw it, and that was my same reaction. That's all we need, people will say, "Those nuts think everything is a conspiracy."

Gold9472
04-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Yea... my friend showed that to me, and I'm like WTF. Does Alex honestly believe that people who own guns would willingly hand them over without a fight? People that own guns LOVE the 2nd Amendment. You make a law that says you can't own a gun, and watch people go CRAZY.

Eckolaker
04-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Yea... my friend showed that to me, and I'm like WTF. Does Alex honestly believe that people who own guns would willingly hand them over without a fight? People that own guns LOVE the 2nd Amendment. You make a law that says you can't own a gun, and watch people go CRAZY.

Is there any real reason I should not be able to own a gun?

PhilosophyGenius
04-16-2007, 06:50 PM
I just read that prison planet thing, it's pretty redicoulos questioning how long the attacks went on since there were so much security there. That would have to mean the guards were in on it. Unless of course the police chief of that county under governemnt orders ran drills simulating a school shooting which diverted attention away from the real shooting...

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

beltman713
04-16-2007, 06:53 PM
The news people are about to orgasm over this thing.

AuGmENTor
04-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Remember the movie with adam sandler about golf? Don't remember the name... But this big ugly dood had a shirt on that said: "Guns don't kill people... I kill people. I didn't know about the prison planet thing. Alex showing how far he is willing to go over the top, and cost himself more crdibility.

AuGmENTor
04-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Is there any real reason I should not be able to own a gun?Not a reason in the world. There are more thatn a few people on this very board who disagree with that. Tough titty. It is my right under the second amendment of the constitution to own and bear arms. Not to sound cliche, but you really CAN have mine when you pry it out of my dead hand. The above mentioned people use occurrences like this as an excuse to take everyones weapons away.

PhilosophyGenius
04-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Happy Gilmore. Made back when Adam Sandler was funny...

Gold9472
04-16-2007, 07:21 PM

Not in this country.

Eckolaker
04-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Honestly, I think our 2nd Amendment is one of the most important right now.

Our founding fathers weren't retarded when they added that amendment. I think they knew full well what could happen if only military and other state or local law enforcement officers could carry them. Essentially you would have a defensless public against any sort of internal tryanny or dictorship rule.

AuGmENTor
04-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Honestly, I think our 2nd Amendment is one of the most important right now.

Our founding fathers weren't retarded when they added that amendment. I think they knew full well what could happen if only military and other state or local law enforcement officers could carry them. Essentially you would have a defensless public against any sort of internal tryanny or dictorship rule.Which is exactly what they are trying to set up for us. Look at Katrina: One of the first orders of business was to disarm the public. Before basic human social services even. That and the media trying to convince everyone that it was total anarchy and these things NEEDED to happen for the greater good.

Gold9472
04-16-2007, 07:33 PM
"Our founding fathers weren't retarded when they added that amendment."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Good Doctor HST
04-16-2007, 09:16 PM
I believe people have the right to keep and bear arms. I would however support much more stringent gun control laws. Countries like Switzerland and Germany have a high percentage of gun owners, with much lower homicide rates than the U.S.

AuGmENTor
04-16-2007, 09:18 PM
I would however support much more stringent gun control laws. To be enforced by the fucking criminals who govern us? Kind of a paradox, doncha think?

Gold9472
04-16-2007, 09:24 PM
I think technology is the answer.

Smart Gun
Click Here (http://www.njit.edu/v2/pwt/videos/video.mpg) (25MB MPG)

AuGmENTor
04-16-2007, 10:11 PM
I think technology is the answer.

Smart Gun
Click Here (http://www.njit.edu/v2/pwt/videos/video.mpg) (25MB MPG)Cool concept. My only concern would be that a ROM chip could be very easily integrated into this that upon being "flashed" could render the weapon useless. Think I'll stick to good old fashioned semi-auto technology sans microchips. My kids were all raised around guns, and there was never a circumstance where any of them offed one another. Bottom line: It is not the governments job to protect me from myself because other people are idiots. those people are supposed to die. It's called natural selection.

Good Doctor HST
04-16-2007, 10:23 PM
To be enforced by the fucking criminals who govern us? Kind of a paradox, doncha think?

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-guncontrol.htm

I think I misspoke. What I meant to say was more stringent enforcement of current gun control laws. The Brady Bill and the crackdown on illegally owned firearms have proven effective in lessening homicide rates. Anything in addition would be infringment on our 2nd amendment rights.

Now, are the fucking criminals who govern us kinda turning the other way when crime rates rise in inner cities, as Tupac states in his "That's Just the Way it is" remake (give 'em guns, step back, watch 'em kill each other....)? Yeah, that could be true.

Regardless, the government enforces the gun laws, and, yeah it sucks b/c they are criminals.... but that's just the way it is.

Oh boy. Can't wait to see the replies to this post. Gotta hit the hay though. I'll read the harangues later. Peace.

aceace
04-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Read this little blog about mind control.
http://rigint.blogspot.com/2007/03/outside-box.html

Then tell me why a federal judge has ordered the destruction of the depositions of the columbine killers parent. The lawsuit was settled and the parents of those killed paid $3000 for copies which the judge is refusing. One lawyer said he had never heard of a judge ordering the destruction of the depositions. Wonder whats in them?

This new shooting has all the trademarks of mkultra or some other such mind control programming. The shooters parents came from Korea about 16 yrs ago.

NBC news just showed a video from the killer: In it he stated "it didn't have to be this way" "you fucked all my brothers and sisters"

Sounds like he was possibly molested (Jeffrey Gannon anyone?)

Then again he could just be a natural born psycho.

AuGmENTor
04-18-2007, 07:11 PM
But what sucks is, we can't count on an accurate investigation, thus we will never really know what happened. You know damn well that if that shit was a mind control thing, it is soooo well covered up so as to be invisible.

Eckolaker
04-18-2007, 07:56 PM
"Our founding fathers weren't retarded when they added that amendment."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Could you expound on why this statement is so funny?

"That whenever any form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form as to them shall seem most likely to effect the safety and happiness""

AuGmENTor
04-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government

So then WTF are we waiting for?

AuGmENTor
04-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Student Arrested Over Va. Tech Remarks (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22Student+Arrested+Over+Va.+Tech+Remarks%22&sid=breitbart.com)

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8OJ70L01&show_article=1

Apr 18 03:22 PM US/Eastern (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22Apr+18+03:22+PM+US/Eastern%22&sid=breitbart.com)

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) - A University of Colorado (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22University+of+Colorado%22&sid=breitbart.com) student was arrested after making comments that classmates deemed sympathetic toward the gunman blamed for killing 32 students and himself at Virginia Tech (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22Virginia+Tech%22&sid=breitbart.com), authorities said.

During a class discussion of Monday's massacre at Virginia Tech, the student "made comments about understanding how someone could kill 32 people," university police Cmdr. Brad Wiesley said.

Several witnesses told investigators the student said he was "angry about all kinds of things from the fluorescent light bulbs to the unpainted walls, and it made him angry enough to kill people," according to a police report (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22police+report%22&sid=breitbart.com). Witnesses "said they were afraid of him and afraid to come to class with him," Wiesley said.

The student, identified by police as Max Karson of Denver, was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of interfering with staff, faculty or students of an education institution. He had a court appearance (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22court+appearance%22&sid=breitbart.com) set for Wednesday afternoon.

His father, Michael Karson, told the Camera newspaper that the comments may have been misinterpreted and questioned whether his son's free speech rights had been violated.

"I would have hoped that state officials would know their First Amendment better than they seem to," he said.

University spokesman Bronson Hilliard said privacy laws prevented him from releasing personal information about the student.

At Oregon's Lewis & Clark College, another student was detained by campus police (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22campus+police%22&sid=breitbart.com) Wednesday shortly before a vigil for the Virginia Tech victims when he was spotted wearing an ammunition belt. Portland police later determined that it was "a fashion accessory (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22fashion+accessory%22&sid=breitbart.com)" made of spent ammunition, and said the man did not have a weapon. The belt was confiscated.

(((AuGmENTor: Why did they confiscate this dudes ammo belt after it was established that it was a fashion accessory? Don't get me wrong, the guy sounds like a douche. But regardless, he has the same right to free expression as any of us, no?)))

AuGmENTor
04-18-2007, 09:09 PM
BU Student Arrested After Massacre Threat Messages

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_108153035.html

(CBS) BOSTON Police have arrested a Boston University student who allegedly threatened a woman he dated and claimed he would pull a Virginia Tech-style massacre at her school.

20-year-old Andrew Rosenblum was arrested early Tuesday morning at his parents home in Needham, Mass., hours after he allegedly sent threatening instant messages to the unidentified 19-year-old woman. Boston police say she is a student at Wheelock College.

According to a Boston police report, Rosenbaum wrote:

"i'm gonna (expletive) bring a gun to your school and kill you and (another female student) and everybody you love. It's gonna be VT all over again."

"Seriously I'm just that demented," he continued, according to the report.

"killing people can change people's lives forever," and "the best is in the end when I pull the trigger on myself, too."

The woman called Boston Police after reading the messages late Monday night. Needham police arrested Rosenblum at his home and took him to Newton-Wellesley Hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.

He will be arraigned in Roxbury District Court Wednesday.

Rosenblum is enrolled at two classes at Boston University, according to the Boston Herald, and had also contributed twice to a video game review show on an MTV Web site.

According to the police report, the woman told police she went on three dates with him before breaking up with him.

AuGmENTor
04-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Bloomberg To Fund Anti-Gun Ad Campaign

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_108161534.html

(((AuGmENTor: Here it is the bodies haven't even cooled off yet, and every gun control asshole in the country has an axe to grind...)))

(CBS) JERSEY CITY, N.J. Mayor Michael Bloomberg and a coalition of 214 mayors are using the Virginia Tech massacre to pressure Congress to give local cops the information they need to trace illegal guns used in crimes.

CBS 2 has also learned that they're also launching a TV ad campaign starting Sunday.

"We're fighting criminals and illegal guns. Why is Congress fighting us?" Bloomberg said Wednesday.

The ads will start running in four days in New York, Washington and the congressional districts of key gun advocates.

"I don’t want my officers to have their hands tied when it comes to having to deal with the issue of illegal guns for criminals," Bloomberg said.

The ads are funded by Bloomberg, who said he will personally spend whatever it takes to stop a bill that would allow the feds to withhold crucial information on illegal guns needed by local cops.

"In terms of how much money to spend I don't know," Bloomberg said. "The last time I was on a campaign I spent $85 million."

Bloomberg said the Virginia Tech massacre that resulted in 33 deaths should get everyone behind his illegal gun crusade.

"Every day 30 Americans are murdered," he said. "If one day is cause for you to think, what about 365 days?"

Carole Stiller is with the Million Mom March, a group with members who have lost loved ones to gun violence. She said she doesn’t think the Virginia Tech shooter should have had the right to get a gun.

"Because he wanted it and it was his right to have it," Stiller said. "Well, it's our right and it was the 32 other people's rights to not have someone come on campus and shoot them."

The Virginia Tech shooting also reverberated in the presidential race. Trying to woo conservatives, the formerly anti-gun Rudy Giuliani said he supports the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

But Democrats Hillary Clinton, John Edwards and Barack Obama steered clear of the issue, saying only that the massacre was a tragedy.

AuGmENTor
04-18-2007, 09:12 PM
I meant to add that I am all for controlling ILLEGAL guns. But not to make it so that they are ALL illegal.