PDA

View Full Version : Dome Of The Rock

Gold9472
04-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Dome of the Rock
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

(Gold9472 Note: Must Read - Fascinating)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d5/280px-Dome_of_the_rock_distance.jpg

The Dome of the Rock (Arabic: ??? ?????? Qubbat As-Sakhrah) is a famous Islamic shrine in Jerusalem. It was built between 687 and 691 by the 9th Caliph, Abd al-Malik. It is sometimes called the Mosque of Umar (though it is not a mosque) because it is built on the site where Umar ibn al-Khattab prayed when he first entered Jerusalem.

According to tradition, the Dome was built to honor the Lord, while some claim the caliph also wanted to build a shrine to rival Mecca. Located in what Muslims call the Noble Sanctuary — which Jews call the Temple Mount — it remains one of the best known landmarks of Jerusalem.

The rock in the center of the dome is believed by Muslims to be the spot from which Muhammad was brought by night and from which he ascended through the heavens to God (See Miraj). Accompanied by the angel Gabriel, he was consulted by Moses and given the obligatory Islamic prayers before returning to earth. It is a holy place to Muslims. The Jews believe this place to be the location where Abraham almost sacrificed his son Isaac at the command of the Lord, where Jacob saw the ladder to heaven, and within the boundaries of the innermost chamber of the Jewish Temple. Other Jewish traditions say it is the spot where the first stone was laid in the building of the world.

Essentially unchanged for more than thirteen centuries, the Dome of the Rock remains one of the world's most beautiful and enduring architectural treasures. The gold covered dome stretches 20 metres across the Noble Rock, rising to an apex more than 35 metres above it. The Qur'anic verse 'Ya Sin' is inscribed across the top in the dazzling tile work commissioned in the 16th century by Suleiman the Magnificent. The sura al-Ikhlas (Purity) which denounces what Muslims regard as the principal Christian errors is also inscribed there. In 1993, the golden dome covering was replaced due to rust and wear.

Say: He is God, the One and Only;
God, the Eternal, Absolute;
He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
And there is none like unto Him."

During the Crusades, Knights Templar had their spiritual headquarters in it. It was thought to be a remnant of the Temple of Jerusalem. As such, it appeared in some of the seals of the Grand Masters of the order (like Evrard de Barres and Regnaud de Vichier), and was a model for Templar churches across Europe.

"a mashhad, a shrine for pilgrims. Adjacent to the Dome is the Al-Aqsa Mosque wherein Muslims make their prayers."

The Temple Mount and Eretz Yisrael Faithful Movement wish to relocate the Dome to Mecca and replace it with a Third Temple. Since the Dome is built around the Rock where Muslims believe the Prophet rose to heaven, its purpose would be defeated if moved. To Muslims, such an act would be equivalent to razing the structure to the ground and they therefore oppose it.

Gold9472
04-24-2005, 08:04 PM
I saw a show about this today on the History Channel... It's really quite fascinating.

The short story is... the area that building is located on is referred to by the Jews as the "Temple Mount". It's referred to by the Muslims as the "Noble Sanctuary".

The Jews have had two temples built there, but both have been destroyed. Supposedly, they are "meant" to build a third to restore their "sacrificial rites". The problem is, the Muslims already have a shrine there.

The Christians believe that the Jews MUST build that third temple in order to begin the process for the return of Jesus.

If I'm off on this a bit, it's because I was half asleep when I watched it.

princesskittypoo
04-24-2005, 08:20 PM
I saw a show about this today on the History Channel... It's really quite fascinating.

The short story is... the area that building is located on is referred to by the Jews as the "Temple Mount". It's referred to by the Muslims as the "Noble Sanctuary".

The Jews have had two temples built there, but both have been destroyed. Supposedly, they are "meant" to build a third to restore their "sacrificial rites". The problem is, the Muslims already have a shrine there.

The Christians believe that the Jews MUST build that third temple in order to begin the process for the return of Jesus.

If I'm off on this a bit, it's because I was half asleep when I watched it.

the middle east also has to be a peace before jesus can come back, mostly cause the temple can't be rebuild until peace.

Gold9472
04-24-2005, 08:20 PM
The name of the show on the History Channel was "Countdown To Armegeddon".

Here is an excerpt...

"Asteroids on a collision course with Earth, super volcanoes, global warming, killer viruses--all are potential catastrophes that threaten to wipe out life on our planet. Are these simply natural disasters that have been occurring since time immemorial? Or are these threats terrifying prophesies from the Bible that are at last coming true? Are our fears overblown? Or are the infamous Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse riding among us in a countdown to Armageddon?"

somebigguy
04-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Four Horseman?

Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice.

Maybe four horses asses.

princesskittypoo
04-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Four Horseman?

Maybe four horses asses.
the four horsemen are suppose to represent war, plague, famon (sp), and pestilence (sp.)
i've read so many books, fiction, and non-fiction that i don't know where i get my information from anymore...

Gold9472
04-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Here's all you need to know about the Temple Mount... they talk about everything, including the Christian's belief about Jesus' return...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Mount

Gold9472
04-24-2005, 08:29 PM
I would have said, Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz.

Gold9472
04-24-2005, 08:30 PM
However, based on Wayne's article, Pope John Paul II thought Bush may be the "Anti-Christ".

Gold9472
04-24-2005, 08:35 PM
"On August 21, 1969, an Australian named Michael Dennis Rohan set the Al-Aqsa mosque, located atop the Temple Mount, on fire. Rohan was a reader of The Plain Truth magazine published by the Worldwide Church of God headed by Herbert W. Armstrong, which was best known for its radio and television programs called The World Tomorrow featuring his son Garner Ted Armstrong. Rohan had read an editorial in the June 1967 edition by Herbert W. Armstrong, concerning rebuilding of the Temple on Temple Mount. The article implied that the present structures would have to be removed and then when a new Temple had been built a series of events would take place resulting in the return of Jesus as the Messiah. This interpretation of prophetic events is now mainstream fundamentalist Christianity, but a scenario that was almost exclusive to the Worldwide Church of God at that time. Herbert W. Armstrong claimed that Rohan was not a member of the church, only a subscriber to the magazine. The incident made worldwide news and The Daily Telegraph newspaper in London pictured Rohan on its front page with a folded copy of The Plain Truth sticking out of his outside jacket pocket."

Se7en
04-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Dome of the Rock
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

(Gold9472 Note: Must Read - Fascinating)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d5/280px-Dome_of_the_rock_distance.jpg

The Dome of the Rock (Arabic: ??? ?????? Qubbat As-Sakhrah) is a famous Islamic shrine in Jerusalem. It was built between 687 and 691 by the 9th Caliph, Abd al-Malik. It is sometimes called the Mosque of Umar (though it is not a mosque) because it is built on the site where Umar ibn al-Khattab prayed when he first entered Jerusalem.

According to tradition, the Dome was built to honor the Lord, while some claim the caliph also wanted to build a shrine to rival Mecca. Located in what Muslims call the Noble Sanctuary — which Jews call the Temple Mount — it remains one of the best known landmarks of Jerusalem.

The rock in the center of the dome is believed by Muslims to be the spot from which Muhammad was brought by night and from which he ascended through the heavens to God (See Miraj). Accompanied by the angel Gabriel, he was consulted by Moses and given the obligatory Islamic prayers before returning to earth. It is a holy place to Muslims. The Jews believe this place to be the location where Abraham almost sacrificed his son Isaac at the command of the Lord, where Jacob saw the ladder to heaven, and within the boundaries of the innermost chamber of the Jewish Temple. Other Jewish traditions say it is the spot where the first stone was laid in the building of the world.

Essentially unchanged for more than thirteen centuries, the Dome of the Rock remains one of the world's most beautiful and enduring architectural treasures. The gold covered dome stretches 20 metres across the Noble Rock, rising to an apex more than 35 metres above it. The Qur'anic verse 'Ya Sin' is inscribed across the top in the dazzling tile work commissioned in the 16th century by Suleiman the Magnificent. The sura al-Ikhlas (Purity) which denounces what Muslims regard as the principal Christian errors is also inscribed there. In 1993, the golden dome covering was replaced due to rust and wear.

Say: He is God, the One and Only;
God, the Eternal, Absolute;
He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
And there is none like unto Him."

During the Crusades, Knights Templar had their spiritual headquarters in it. It was thought to be a remnant of the Temple of Jerusalem. As such, it appeared in some of the seals of the Grand Masters of the order (like Evrard de Barres and Regnaud de Vichier), and was a model for Templar churches across Europe.

"a mashhad, a shrine for pilgrims. Adjacent to the Dome is the Al-Aqsa Mosque wherein Muslims make their prayers."

The Temple Mount and Eretz Yisrael Faithful Movement wish to relocate the Dome to Mecca and replace it with a Third Temple. Since the Dome is built around the Rock where Muslims believe the Prophet rose to heaven, its purpose would be defeated if moved. To Muslims, such an act would be equivalent to razing the structure to the ground and they therefore oppose it.

:blah1::fucktard:

Gold9472
04-24-2005, 09:28 PM
:blah1::fucktard:

Praise Be To Jesus Hallelujah... Armegeddon Is A Comin'... Lordy Lordy...

princesskittypoo
04-24-2005, 10:12 PM
praise be to allah!

danceyogamom
04-25-2005, 12:32 AM
Praise Be To Jesus Hallelujah... Armegeddon Is A Comin'... Lordy Lordy...

I believe you'd call that "the rapture"

Gold9472
12-04-2005, 09:22 PM
bump

Partridge
12-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Four Horseman?

Maybe four horses asses.

God that me laugh.

Partridge
12-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Also, what it doesn't mention in the article is that it was Sharon's visit to the Dome that was the spark for the second intifada in 2000. (Sharon being widely, and justly IMO, regarded as a mass murderer by Palestinians for his role in the Sabra and Shatilia massacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_and_Shatila_massacre) in Lebanon).