PDA

View Full Version : Rice: Bush Unlikely To Follow Legislation To Withdraw Troops From Iraq

Gold9472
02-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Rice: Bush unlikely to follow legislation to withdraw troops from Iraq

http://www.cctv.com/english/20070226/101459.shtml

Source: CCTV.com | 02-26-2007 09:25

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is suggesting that President George W. Bush will not follow any legislation passed by Congress to withdraw US troops from Iraq.

Meanwhile, moe than 100 fresh Iraqi troops, mostly Kurds, have arrived in Baghdad to support the US and Iraqi crackdown launched early this month.

Rice made the comments on Sunday when asked whether Bush would feel bound by proposals calling for a US withdrawal from Iraq within 120 days. She also noted that the new US commander in Iraq supports the president's troop increase.

Rice said, "I think the President is going to, as commander in chief, need to do what the country needs done. I can't imagine a circumstance in which it's a good thing that their flexibility is constrained by people sitting here in Washington, sitting in the Congress trying to micro-manage this war. I don't think it's a good thing."

Democrat Senator Carl Levin, Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said it was appropriate to limit the broad wording of the resolution authorizing the invasion of Iraq, as the situation in Iraq has deteriorated.

Also on Sunday, about 130 fresh Iraqi troops, mostly Kurdish, arrived in Baghdad to join a crackdown.

The troops represented a fraction of the expected influx of some 8,000 Iraqi reinforcements.

Each soldier would only be deployed for only three months, then allowed to go home.