PDA

View Full Version : Treasury Names Iran Firms Weapons Proliferators

Gold9472
02-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Treasury names Iran firms weapons proliferators

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSWAT00700220070216

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:14AM EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Stepping up the Bush administration's financial pressure on Iran over its nuclear program, the U.S. Treasury Department labeled three Iranian companies on Friday as proliferators of weapons of mass destruction, banning U.S. transactions with them.

The Treasury, invoking an executive order recently used against Iranian state-owned banks, said it would also seek to freeze any U.S. assets of Kalaye Electric Co., Kavoshyar Co. and Pioneer Energy Industries Co.

It said the companies are either owned by, controlled by or acting for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, the government agency that manages Iran's overall nuclear program.

"Treasury is taking this action to deny Iran access to the materials and services that support its nuclear ambitions," Stuart Levey, the Treasury's under secretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, said in a statement. He added that the action was consistent with the U.N. Security Council's recent resolution aimed curbing Iran's nuclear program.

Reverend X
02-16-2007, 10:12 PM
The Build Up to "Whaaa the fuck?"

The White House recently drafted an article for the New York Times under the psuedonym Michael R. Gordon. Let's see if we can use baseball announcing tactics to shed a bit of light on what was written.

"The most lethal weapon directed against American troops in Iraq is an explosive-packed cylinder that United States intelligence asserts is being supplied by Iran"

or in other words,

"Up first is United States intelligence, currently batting .000 in this century. Yeah, even with a sacrafice fly earlier for the designated hitter, Dick Cheney, this guy is batting zero."

"And he is followed by Western Sources also currently batting .000"

"Can anyone tell me where this kid, Western Sources even came from? I mean, we don't have a scouting report or anything and, my God, does he seem unprepared for the bright lights and close scrutiny of the spectators here tonight!"

"Of course that leaves White House Sources batting clean up and he is also, sadly, batting .000"

"And of course, with Administration Officials currently pitching a 21 ERA with a surprisingly low 1 HBP or Hit by Pitch. I am speaking of Libby of course."

"So with a battless fourth season well underway and this bad of pitching, one is forced to wonder, What is the Manager, American People, hoping to prove by leaving this guy in against the Iranian's. "

"I know I'm wondering that."

"It looked a moment ago like John Conyers was gonna walk out to the mound and bring this embarrassment to an end, but he turned around. "

"Wait, it looks like Pelosi is going for the phone. Maybe she's gonna call the Bullpen. No, she sat back down. "

"Well, here you have it folks. It's just too bad that Major League Geo-politics doesn't have a 10 run mercy rule, because at this point it looks like we are in for a double header that promises to not only turn an unbelievable number of bright careers into negative statistics, but also promises to waste the money of every ticket holder in the stands tonight!"

"You said that right. They'll be lucky if they don't get charged for parking violations and a grounds fee for this one!"

Turn the lights out. The party is over.

PhilosophyGenius
02-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Wassup Reverend.