PDA

View Full Version : 9/11, Iraq Cause Some To Question Our Leaders

Gold9472
01-28-2007, 07:50 PM
9/11, Iraq cause some to question our leaders

http://www.dispatch.com/2007/01/28/20070128-Pc-C2-0700.jpg
Sherry Clark says she once trusted in President Bush, but that’s no longer the case. The change has cost her some friends.

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2007/01/28/20070128-C1-02.html

MIKE HARDEN
Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sherry Clark says she once trusted in President Bush, but that’s no longer the case. The change has cost her some friends.

Sherry Clark arrived for breakfast with an armload of DVDs whose messages cast the shadow of skepticism over the official line on the 9/11 attack.

Through forkfuls of pancakes, the Delaware, Ohio, woman conjured up images of shrouded schemes and dark lurkings, government complicity and war-industry profiteering.

A lunchbox purse sported a get-the-truthout sticker. A lapel button noted that polite women seldom make history.

"I want to break the conspiracy of silence," Clark said. "9/11 is the exclamation point to everything. Sept. 11 is the excuse for all of our civil-liberty compromises and the war."

For a fleeting second, with the sun cresting on the eastern horizon, I thought I could hear the engine of Japanese pilot Mitsuo Fuchida’s B5N torpedo bomber as he banked toward Pearl Harbor’s Battleship Row.

In Dallas, the black presidential limo turned toward Dealey Plaza and the Texas School Book Depository as JFK drifted into the cross hairs of a rifle sight.

"I used to be one of those who supported the troops by putting a yellow magnet on my car and going shopping, just like the president suggested," Clark said.

"I voted for Bush both times.

"I used to have total faith in my government, but that candle has gone out. I used to have a candle of optimism, but that’s gone."

She is years removed from the beauty pageants she said she once entered to help pay her way through college.

She pleads guilty to singing Lee Greenwood’s God Bless the U.S.A. to soften up contest judges.

Her transformation into a 9/11 skeptic was swift and stunning.

"I never understood how special interests could be at odds with the American people," she said, fetching from her purse a DVD titled Iraq for Sale: The War Profiteers.

She slid it across the table along with a copy of 911 Mysteries.

"It’s absolute betrayal," she said. "Basically, you have to admit that you were wronged, and that means that you have to identify with the crowd that is being called conspiracy nuts.

"Of course, there are some conspiracy nuts within our midst, but most just don’t fit that type. We’re supposed to be speaking on behalf of the widows."

She suggested I visit www.Columbus911 truth.org, the Web site of a group sponsoring a series of Columbus appearances this week by Kevin Barrett, founder of the Muslim-Jewish-Christian Alliance and one of those who believe the government was complicit in 9/11.

"I think it is agreed-upon that the government had a hand in it, but we don’t know to what extent," Clark said, suggesting that the fall of the World Trade Center towers was "controlled demolition."

She pressed a flier on me and suggested that I might want to read The New Pearl Harbor.

"Undertaking this 9/11 thing," she said, "is like throwing yourself on a grenade, but it makes everything so clear."

She has lost friends, now that she is no longer a lockstep Republican. A few of them tell her, "I know a doctor you really ought to talk to." She has been asked if her transformation could have been incited by menopause.

"Right now," she said, "our greatest challenge is to just make it OK to talk about this.

"I think it’s your right to disagree with your country on moral grounds."

Mike Harden is a Dispatch Metro columnist. He can be reached at 614-461-5215 or by e-mail.

mharden@dispatch.com^