PDA

View Full Version : Isn't This Kind Of "Big Brotherish?"

Gold9472
01-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Isn't This Kind Of "Big Brotherish?"

Click Here (http://www.trafficland.com/index.php)

PhilosophyGenius
01-27-2007, 06:40 PM
I heard on the radio that in Britain if you drive through a red light the police would come to your house and give you a ticket.

werther
01-28-2007, 10:41 AM
I see what you mean but those traffic feeds have been in place for a long time, though not accessible to the general public. Now though, those feeds are streamed to the internet where everyone can see and not just 'big brother'. It certainly is a fine line.

AuGmENTor
01-28-2007, 11:40 AM
I heard on the radio that in Britain if you drive through a red light the police would come to your house and give you a ticket.Dood, 10 YEARS ago, when I drove as a part time courier in NYC (where blowing red lights is a regular occurence) on the West Side Highway, I kept seeing these blue flashing lights in my mirror every time I blew a light. I didn't understand this, until the company I worked for started getting SLAMMED with tickets that had a picture of the back of my truck.
Also: I used to get tickets through easy pass if I made it from one toll plaza to the next too quickly.

MrDark71
01-29-2007, 01:52 PM
The NJ DOT website has about 30 something camera's along major traffic corridors. It claims the images are updated every 30-60 seconds.....and it did refresh...accept the image remained the same. It was however that day with the time stamp clearly visible.
As freaky as it seems...and it's freaky...I think technology CAN enable a safer environment. For example...if you're in public doing something that clearly violates the law don't complain about getting caught by big brother when you gave no regard to the stranger, friend, neighbor, relative or worker that also witnessed this. Don't get me wrong...it's just as easy to abuse this power as it is to utilize it ethically ...and therein lies the problem. Remember the phrase "believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see"...this mechanical policing captures only part of the story (credibly I might add) and should only hold half of the truth. Do we sacrifice liberty for safety? Again...I do believe that "theoretical" speeding is absurd Augmentor...but were you speeding? I question the fiscal motives of the policy due to it's huge conflict of intrests with peoples rights. What's next...your car's CPU Emailing the local authorities...your insurance company...and then you about that 70 mph "ticket" it just issued?

I see the mechanization of the human institutions as scary as the first Terminator, but I can't help but recall that Tampa girls abduction caught on a survailence camera that lead to the suspects subsequent arrest days later. Sadly not in time...but maybe the next one will be. For that matter...where would the truth movement be without this technology. The questions into JFK and 911 all use this technology to "prove" it's point. Without these great big brother shots of the towers falling again and again I never would've started to wonder why those building didn't fall naturally to me.....almost too perfect. I think it's just the accepted reality that accompanies the technology....or any thing with potential benefits .....abuse.

AuGmENTor
01-29-2007, 06:22 PM
I do believe that "theoretical" speeding is absurd Augmentor...but were you speeding? I question the fiscal motives of the policy due to it's huge conflict of intrests with peoples rights. What's next...your car's CPU Emailing the local authorities...your insurance company...and then you about that 70 mph "ticket" it just issued?

Yes, I was speeding my ass off. Nothing theoretical about it. And the bottom line is, I am torn by this. Yes it is a good way to catch people doing something that costs lives. If I wasn't speeding, I wouldn't have gotten tickets. Too lazy to say any more about it... Maybe later.