PDA

View Full Version : Fifty Active Duty Officers To Deliver Iraq Pullout Petition To Congress

Gold9472
01-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Fifty active duty officers to deliver Iraq pullout petition to Congress

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2007/Fifty_active_duty_officers_to_deliver_0116.html

Brian Beutler
Published: Tuesday January 16, 2007

Just before noon today, a petition signed by a thousand members of the military will be delivered to Congress by about 50 active-duty officers. The petition calls for the withdrawal of all troops from Iraq.

According to Liam Madden, spokesman for the affiliated group Iraq Veterans Against the War, the petition will be received on behalf of the "out of Iraq caucus" by Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), a 2008 presidential candidate. However "all appeals are getting faxed to the representatives of the districts of the signatories."

Long scheduled to be delivered at the end of the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, the petition is accompanied by a brief letter.

"As a patriotic American proud to serve the nation in uniform, I respectfully urge my political leaders in Congress to support the prompt withdrawal of all American military forces and bases from Iraq," reads the letter as posted online at Appeal for Redress. "Staying in Iraq will not work and is not worth the price. It is time for U.S. troops to come home."

Madden acknowledged that, because it can't be guaranteed that every member of Congress represents at least one signatory, not every member will necessarily receive a copy of the petition. But he added that the group plans to canvas the halls of Congress today to deliver the petition to any individual members that will receive them.

AuGmENTor
01-16-2007, 07:50 PM
I woulda thought they could have found WAY more than 1000 military personel to sign that.

royster
01-16-2007, 07:55 PM
This is just starting, and it's getting BIG mainstream media attention. The fat lady didn't sing yet; she's just clearing her throat.

AuGmENTor
01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
ALOT of the military people I know still support Iraq. But alot of those guys are HERE, NOT in Iraq, so perhaps they're biased.

PhilosophyGenius
01-16-2007, 08:09 PM
ALOT of the military people I know still support Iraq. But alot of those guys are HERE, NOT in Iraq, so perhaps they're biased.

Whenever a news crew goes to Iraq there's always tons of troops who support the mission and think the war was worth it.

AuGmENTor
01-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah it's like they have all six of them in the same place... And they only interview them.