PDA

View Full Version : Service members join war protest

AuGmENTor
01-16-2007, 09:05 AM
By John M.R. Bull (jbull@dailypress.com)

January 15, 2007, 2:29 PM EST
NORFOLK -- Several dozen service members joined peace activists today to call for an end to the war in Iraq, part of a nationwide effort that links a growing group of active-duty protesters to the peace movement.

An "appeal for redress'' petition, signed by more than 1,000 active duty soldiers and sailors nationwide -- many of whom served in Iraq -- is to be delivered to Congress on Tuesday.

On a day devoted to honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Norfolk-based Seaman Jonathan Hutto quoted the civil rights leader at a gathering of war protestors at the Unitarian Church of Norfolk.

"Dissent is not disloyalty,'' Hutto said, noting that King objected to the Vietnam War and insisted that protestors "were not fools or traitors.''

Roughly 100 people attended the gathering to hear speeches and to rally support for veterans who are speaking out against the war.

"There is honest disagreement ... but all voices deserve to be heard,'' said Rev. Paul Boothby, the church's pastor. "It is good that we gather together to speak out and be heard.''

A growing number of active-duty military personnel are coming out against the war, despite a culture in the Armed Forces that frowns on public objections to presidential policy.

A recent poll of military personnel show their support of the war has dropped to 54 percent.

Active-duty military personnel are allowed to publicly object to the war, as long as they do not wear their uniforms when expressing their opinions.

"We served in combat and we've seen the futility of this war,'' said Sgt. Jabbar Magruder of Los Angeles, a member of the National Guard who served 11 months in Tikrit, a town northwest of Baghdad. "The soldiers want to resist. The soldiers want to come home now. We need the citizens to back us.''

royster
01-16-2007, 10:46 AM
In a recent article about Bush visiting soldiers about to ship out on the "surge", it was stated that the soldiers would not be permitted to chow down with the pResident if they spoke any discontent, and were NOT allowed to talk to the media. It was great to read about the rule that they can speak out when not on duty and in civilian clothes.

MrDark71
01-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Not to be a pain in the ass, but is leaving that place a mess really the best solution? It wouldn't be very "Global Police-ish" of us to just let the country tear itslef apart....ooohhh wait....riiiight....Somalia. Maybe it's a better US policy to just be called the "Global Mob" so we can fuck people up and just walk away. If we want the reputation of the shining beacon of freedom in the world...we at least have to clean up our messes mistake or not....accountability has to start at some point. I don't like the idea of our troops standing around being "TomahawkToyota" targets anymore than anyone else.....but remember...this is what the troops signed up for and are paid for. How would it look if I came to your house...ransacked it...killed someone disrupting the hierarchy that results in infighting and turmoil....RECOGNIZED my wrongdoing...and just left without fluffing the pillows on the couch?...I'd be a terrorist.

MrDark71
01-16-2007, 12:50 PM
....of course these soldiers have the means to start a military coup d’état if they wanted to....I pay them to not look like hypocrites.

AuGmENTor
01-16-2007, 01:03 PM
I have never understood the logic of bombing the shit out of a country that has done nothing to us, and then dropping tents, wind up radios, hamburgers and whatever else on them, while we set up bases and such. I do see your point about not trashing and running, but something has to be done about this already. But before anything can be done, the corruption must be purged from our system. I don't see it happening as long as people thiunk they are just going to ELECT the right people into office. These days it comes down to being fucked in the rear (sans reach around) or having your balls pulled off by a tractor, either way, you're screwed. But hey! Isn't American Idol premeiring tonight? WHAT war?

MrDark71
01-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Ahahahahaha...no reach around? Well Political attrition is the best way to change things agreed....but sadly...the solution is the one being applied now....more troops...of course these troops will be fighting in Iran soon instead of stabilizing our new airbases and oil pipeline....there goes the reach around...right out the door.

royster
01-16-2007, 01:12 PM
This story (as of noon my time) ABC News (Disney-owned) is broadcasting this story on radio, with sound-bites from the soldiers.